Line getting stuck between spool and frame...Help!! Tatula SV

Started by TrueGritAngler, June 10, 2019, 10:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LgMouthGambler

So it works without any of the spacers, but not if you have the one? So the problem is within the palm side plate.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

TrueGritAngler

Gotcha, guess I'll send it off to Daiwa for service. It's still under warranty and I'm not knowledgeable in the area of reel repair. I appreciate your efforts and help.
Instagram @truegritangler

LgMouthGambler

Yeah. If it's under warranty, I'd be sending it back to Daiwa. Glad to help.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Lee Smith

I do have one question before you send it off...

Are you over filling the spool?  You should fill the spool up to the lip where it turns out or just a little less than that. 

Years ago I had that issue and removed a few rounds of line and never a problem again.
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Bud Kennedy

Quote from: Lee Smith on June 12, 2019, 07:14:11 AM
I do have one question before you send it off...

Are you over filling the spool?  You should fill the spool up to the lip where it turns out or just a little less than that. 

Years ago I had that issue and removed a few rounds of line and never a problem again.

Very True...I had the same thing happen with one of my TATs as well.  Took some line off and the problem went away and hasn't returned in 3 or 4 years.

TrueGritAngler

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on June 12, 2019, 07:31:32 AM
Very True...I had the same thing happen with one of my TATs as well.  Took some line off and the problem went away and hasn't returned in 3 or 4 years.
Yeah I figured that might be the issue at first also, but the spool isn't sitting inside the frame completely. My first solution was to peel some line off, then I noticed the gap between the spool and frame. So no matter how much line I took off, my line (10lb test) was getting inside that gap. Hopefully it's some kind of manufacturing defect and I get a new one, but I'll be happy if they fix it with no money coming from me on my end. I'm already fighting the monkey who's trying to convince me to get another SV but in 7:1 gear ratio.. I can't fight em off he wins every time!!! Jesus Take the Reel!!!

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: TrueGritAngler on June 12, 2019, 10:47:40 AM
Yeah I figured that might be the issue at first also, but the spool isn't sitting inside the frame completely. My first solution was to peel some line off, then I noticed the gap between the spool and frame. So no matter how much line I took off, my line (10lb test) was getting inside that gap. Hopefully it's some kind of manufacturing defect and I get a new one, but I'll be happy if they fix it with no money coming from me on my end. I'm already fighting the monkey who's trying to convince me to get another SV but in 7:1 gear ratio.. I can't fight em off he wins every time!!! Jesus Take the Reel!!!

If you want, I can give you the name and number of a Daiwa warranty shop that might be able to help you out a little better and probably faster. Just PM me if interested.

TrueGritAngler

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on June 12, 2019, 10:53:45 AM
If you want, I can give you the name and number of a Daiwa warranty shop that might be able to help you out a little better and probably faster. Just PM me if interested.
I look at the closest warranty shop near me and it was 100 miles away. I went ahead and just sent it off this morning and insured it. Preciate your help again!

TrueGritAngler

Finally got my reel back from Daiwa and it took only about a week. I called Tuesday and the rep told me it was on the way to me. I was surprised the turnaround time was that short. The rep couldn't tell me what was wrong with it and that whatever needed to be fixed was covered under warranty. Yesterday when I looked at the invoice attached to my reel it said "new spool assembly ". The spool now sits inside the frame and works great. I wonder if the spool was defective or machined a little short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: TrueGritAngler on June 22, 2019, 06:23:58 AM
Finally got my reel back from Daiwa and it took only about a week. I called Tuesday and the rep told me it was on the way to me. I was surprised the turnaround time was that short. The rep couldn't tell me what was wrong with it and that whatever needed to be fixed was covered under warranty. Yesterday when I looked at the invoice attached to my reel it said "new spool assembly ". The spool now sits inside the frame and works great. I wonder if the spool was defective or machined a little short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to hear your reel issue has been resolved.

Mike Cork

Good deal, and quick turn around Kudos to Daiwa. Sorry you had the issue but good they stood behind it and fixed it quickly.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

TrueGritAngler

Thanks fellas, I was glad they got it right back to me. I just wished they would have told me exactly what was wrong with it. I'm curious.

LgMouthGambler

A machining issue on the spool shaft makes sense, maybe thats all it was. Glad to hear everything was resolved.