Bait Monkey trikes Again!!!

Started by Bretts_daddy, October 22, 2019, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bretts_daddy

I was bitten by the bait monkey today. I just couldn't resist $96 for a 13 Fishing Concept Z casting reel on Amazon.com. I mean it's original price tag was $200 and I'm sure like most reels it was a little overpriced but at more than 50% off I just couldn't resist. I'm thinking for less than $100 it's probably one of the best sub-hundred dollar reels you're going to find. It'll be here Thursday so hopefully I'll get to test it out before the hard water hits here up North  ;D.
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

No matter how much we know about fishing there is always more to learn!

LgMouthGambler

I am curious as to what you think of this reel. I have just ordered 2 more Korean OEM platforms myself, and this one was one that I was contemplating on. I decided to go with a Quantum model instead. None the less, that is a killer deal on that reel.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

fishballer06

I've seen videos of these reels bombing lures out there whenever some premium bearings are installed in them.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

Bretts_daddy

Quote from: fishballer06 on October 22, 2019, 03:28:47 PM
I've seen videos of these reels bombing lures out there whenever some premium bearings are installed in them.
I just watched some videos and they were bombing them with the CZB bushings in there...one was measured at 157.10 ft. Excited to try it :).

Lipripper

Quote from: Bretts_daddy on October 22, 2019, 03:33:02 PM
I just watched some videos and they were bombing them with the CZB bushings in there...one was measured at 157.10 ft. Excited to try it :).
:shocking: That's like 52 yards that's half a football field.  8)

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Bretts_daddy on October 22, 2019, 03:33:02 PM

Just remember, those bushings still need to be oiled.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

ike8120

Just had to buy some H20 jerk baits and Smithwick Rogue.
Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

Bretts_daddy

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on October 22, 2019, 03:52:58 PM
Just remember, those bushings still need to be oiled.
Not nearly as much as bearings though according to 13 Fishing.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Bretts_daddy on October 22, 2019, 06:07:33 PM
Not nearly as much as bearings though according to 13 Fishing.
About the same.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

Bretts_daddy

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on October 22, 2019, 06:14:40 PM
About the same.

According to 13 Fishing these CZB bushings are self-lubricating and the more they are used the better they lubricate themselves. I have seen it recommended to add a drop of oil every so often but for the most part they say as these bearings wear in they will become better lubricated. Technical jargon to me but that's what they say.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Bretts_daddy on October 22, 2019, 08:54:08 PM
According to 13 Fishing these CZB bushings are self-lubricating and the more they are used the better they lubricate themselves. I have seen it recommended to add a drop of oil every so often but for the most part they say as these bearings wear in they will become better lubricated. Technical jargon to me but that's what they say.
Kinda sorta. They will wear which will increase play in them, which seems "self lubricating". Lol. Common thing in them is decrease in tolerance. Many people end up replacing the bushings with high quality bearings, which is what I was gonna do if I ended up with one. But decided to forget it and went with a Smoke for $90. Lol

Bretts_daddy

We'll see. For now I'm keeping it stock, I mean the whole point of this reel is that it has "zero" bearings...they kinda' built their whole ad campaign around that and even put a big "Zero" label on the reel advertising it...seems I'd be missing the point if I installed bearings but we'll see...maybe in the future :).

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Bretts_daddy on October 23, 2019, 05:51:24 AM
We'll see. For now I'm keeping it stock, I mean the whole point of this reel is that it has "zero" bearings...they kinda' built their whole ad campaign around that and even put a big "Zero" label on the reel advertising it...seems I'd be missing the point if I installed bearings but we'll see...maybe in the future :).

Gimmicks  lo

Oldfart9999

Seems to me that unless the lube is built into the bushing as they wear the looseness is what allows them to keep casting. I'll go with bearings and give them a drop of oil every so often.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Bretts_daddy

I'm resisting bearings for now...really want to fish it as it was meant to be fished but in the future if I decide to go with bearings a complete kit for this reel of Speed Spool bearings is only $35.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Bretts_daddy on October 24, 2019, 08:00:43 AM
I'm resisting bearings for now...really want to fish it as it was meant to be fished but in the future if I decide to go with bearings a complete kit for this reel of Speed Spool bearings is only $35.

Ugh, they are junk.  ~fl Just giving you fair warning. He makes a killing selling you bearings he gets from China for $0.25 a piece.

Bretts_daddy

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on October 24, 2019, 08:14:52 AM
Ugh, they are junk.  ~fl Just giving you fair warning. He makes a killing selling you bearings he gets from China for $0.25 a piece.
Who do you recommend? I just checked and I can get spool bearings from Boca Bearings (ABEC 7) for $30 shipped...would that be better?

coldfront

Lee is not pay ing attention today.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Bretts_daddy on October 24, 2019, 02:57:05 PM
Who do you recommend? I just checked and I can get spool bearings from Boca Bearings (ABEC 7) for $30 shipped...would that be better?
Nope, still Chinese. Either ZPi, Hedgehog, or Hawgtech. All are quality.

fishballer06

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on October 24, 2019, 08:14:52 AM

This. Most of these bearing companies that pop up are buying the same bearings that you can buy on eBay for under $1 a piece (as long as you know the bearing size). I buy my bearings by the dozen on eBay for my handle knobs and levelwind bearings for about $10 shipped. They work great for what they're used for, but if I were buying spool bearings, I'd buy a higher quality bearing like LMG mentioned.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament