Abu Garcia Question

Started by Kal-Kevin, August 07, 2008, 04:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kal-Kevin

Oh master of the reels (Mike) I have a question for you, after I had all my gear stolen I dug out a old reel some one gave me a while back. well the reel works great but it does not lock up so it will back spin. so if I set it down and the bait falls in the water the reel just keeps giving out line till it is empty. which is a pain if your moving down the lake.

I wanted to know is that the way this reel was made or is something wrong with it? and can it be fixed if it is not right? 

Here is what I know of the reel:
on the front of the reel it says  Abu Garcia
on the side it says Ambassadeur Mag Xt Plus
under the handle it has ultra cast

Thanks for any help you can offer up!
Kal

Mike Cork

Kal does the handle spin backwards as the line is peeling off?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Kal-Kevin

yes it does Mike sorry should said that!  ::)

it cast easy and reels great but if you stop reeling and let go of the handle it will back off line. I have no problem what so ever with it other then it not stopping when you let go the handle. the real problem is on the deck or when I take it off the boat if I do not hold the line it will back reel the line. 

I had a real problem the other night it was dark and the bait and line stayed on the boat after I put the pole in the truck for the trip home. got up in the morning to find the line still running between them.  :surrender:

blake711

Sounds like your anti reverse bearing. 

Mike Cork

Don't believe that reel has an anti reverse bearing (pre dated them) but there is an anti reverse lever that is either missing or worn out. They are usually only a couple dollars. So no it's not right and yes it can be fixed  ;)

Cork's Reel Service

Kal-Kevin

Thanks Mike you might just see it later this winter, I might ship it your way to fix for next year.  ;)

Mike Cork

Not a problem Kal, just let me know. I would say I can turn this for you in just a couple days but I will need to order parts for it and don't know exactly which part number until I see the reel.

Cork's Reel Service

mlakrid

Kal,

if you send me your address via PM, you will recieve a nice suprise...

;)

Mike A!
A Bad day on the water is still better than the best day at work!!@!!

Kal-Kevin

mlakrid

You will be glad ya did...  ~shade

Mike A!

mlakrid

KAL...

Sorry you have not recieved anything YET... I got busy and to be honest forgot why I had that box in the back room until I re-read this thread...

;D

I will mail the box, with unsaid objects inside, sometime this weekend...

I will send you a PM with shipping details once it is on its way... again sorry for the delay!

Mike A!

Kal-Kevin

not a problem I figured you had got busy and it slipped your mind.  ;)

mlakrid

Quote from: Kal-Kevin on September 26, 2008, 06:14:25 PM
not a problem I figured you had got busy and it slipped your mind.  ;)

The package is in the mail... Priority so it should be there by Wednesday at the latest!!

~c~

I would have sent a larger package but I could not find the other "items" I was looking for... I think my wife may have gotten rid of some of them at the last garage sale...

Mike A!

mlakrid

Hey KAL... your package is "out for delivery"...

;D

Let me know when you get it should be today!!

~c~

Mike A!

Kal-Kevin

be glad let you know, to have to go to the post office here in a bit!

thanks
kal

mlakrid

Kal,

Did you get the package?

It shows delivered yesterday at 2PM...   ~c~

Mike A!

Kal-Kevin

Yes I did get it yesterday and now I got to figure out what pole to use it on  :-\

Thanks it looks to be a good reel and will get a lot of use in the spring for sure. I do not have one of those reels so it will be interesting to try out.

Thanks for it
Kal

Oh while I'm posting to this thread I might as well ask mike for the address he wants the other reel sent to for repairs!  :)

mlakrid

You dont have a baitcaster, or you don't have a round style baitcaster?   :-\

I had another one identical to it... I could not fidn it for the life of me...

They are Abu Garcia's workhorses... its almost impossible to destroy one...

Mike A!

conniek

I don't work on the ABU's anymore, but if my  memory serves me correctly(which is sometimes hard to do. ;D) those old ABU's have life time warranty.
conniek-Gycb Pro Staff,Ask about our maint. video and training school- SEE US IN DEC ISSUE BASSMASTER

Kal-Kevin

Mike I have four of the low profile ones that I bought this year I just never tried the round style. 

conniek that is nice to know i will have to remember to tell one of my freind he like them.

kal