AllStar/Pflueger Baitcating Reels?

Started by Coonnasty, November 16, 2005, 09:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coonnasty

Hey guys, stopped by Academy last night & picked up 2 AllStar reels. I know AllStar makes a pretty good rod, so I figure I would try their reels. They have the same housing as a BPS Pro-Qualifier series baitcaster. I'm guessing that Pflueger is making reels for everyone now and these companies are just modifying the guts & placing their logos on the reels?? Has anyone tried the AllStar baitcaster reels yet, or should I even bother with spooling them for this weekend? By the way, I normally use 5500's but looking to get away from ABU & the large housing.

scwildbill

I'm bettin that since Shakespeare bought out Al-Star, you are now the proud owner of Pflueger Reels. I own a quite a few of them from the Trion all the way up to the President...They're very good reels but they are not quite up to par with Shimano Curados. Have had too many springs break on the Trions and President reels although I must say their Customer support is great!!
Proud Team Member of the Palmetto Posse

OHbassaholic

This is the first I have heard of All Star putting out reels.  I agree that it would be a Pflueger product, just can't figure out why they would produce an All Star version.  Both companies are owned by K2 and with the success of Pflueger over the last few years it just doesn't make sense to produce an All Star reel.

Oh well, there are better minds that come up with such ideas.  I imagine they did their homework to legitimize the venture.

Pferox

Put Allstar on the reel to match the rod and sell them as combos, thats a great marketing Idea.
Just about all the other big mfgs do it, why not AllStar.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

topcat

I just purchased a Pfluger the other day.....What is wrong with the springs and what cause them to break...can this be prevented from happening...could you have gotten a lemon...or does this happen to all of the Pfuleger........... :-\

keep the line wet.

Topcat

OHbassaholic

Quote from: Pferox69 on November 16, 2005, 05:39:15 PM
Put Allstar on the reel to match the rod and sell them as combos, thats a great marketing Idea.
Just about all the other big mfgs do it, why not AllStar.

They have been selling the Pfluegers on All Star rods at Dick's Sporting Goods.  Actually the best combos we sell.  I've sold the heck out of the Intensity baitcaster and President spinning combos.  Wish we had the President baitcasters at Dick's...

scwildbill

Hey Topcat.... I don't know if its something that can be prevented or not..They're not very well made springs.... Either that, or I use my reels more than most people. ;)
Proud Team Member of the Palmetto Posse

Coonnasty

The Pflueger's worked great, I'm sold! Smooth action and I can really sling a toad the distance. Flipping a smallie beaver with a 16th ounce weight is no problem. It took a little time to getting use to with the thumb bar since I am so familiar with the 5500's. They feel alot lighter than the ABU's, I'm guessing b/c they have a graphite frame. I'll soon have nothing but AllStar/Pfluegers. FYI - the AllStar/Pflueger reels have 5 bearings where the Purist has 8, that's the only difference I can tell. Just add a little Hot Sauce and it's no problem. For only $58.00, it's not a bad deal compared to the $80.00 Purist, for those of us on a budget. The 5500's are now going for $68.00 on the BPS website, and the ABU has a 5.3 ratio compared to the 6.3 Pflueger. As far as durability, time will tell.

spetro

I've fished pflugers........I just replaced them with Diawa  advantage 153's.  I have had the same problems that bill had. As a mater of fact several people have the same problems.  I spent over two hours at Bills house taking pluegers apart. ::) ::)

Pferox

Honestly I would proly rather have the Garcias, they do last a long time, heck they lasted longer than I did.  ~roflmao
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Bassmeister

I have a Phleuger (sp) Criterion with 4 bearings and it has been a sweet reel. I've had no problems with it yet and 2 years old ,got it on sale at BPS for 29.99 list for 49.99. JMHO

LoonyToon

;) ;) When Shakespeare bought AllStar it was with the intention of marketing their Pfleuger products mated to their new rods, according to reports we got. With the economy like it is and wanting a good share of the market it makes good bussiness sense to mate a similar down version and reap the benefits....Hope you enjoy them and get many years pleasure....

Keep the Rod Tip up and the Hook Sharp

Bassmeister

My newest rod, a TAS 6'6" MHF IM 10 is a sweet rod. On it's inaugral trip I felt a spot suck my jig in in treetop in 60' .......... Yes 60' of water!! Hooked and landed said 2.5 spot after sawing a few tree limbs Rod is mated to Phlueger Critierion. I understand some people's uncertainty due to the new 3 yr garuntee instead of life  but they aren't as high priced as they once was. JMHO

Coonnasty

JUNK, absolute JUNK! I had 3 of 6 All-Star reels crap out on me this past weekend all in the same trip. 2 worm gears stuck & 1 crank fouled up with only 2 months of use. The reels worked good for flipping purposes but my spinner, crank, & other casting reels gave me the problems. Should have heeded your warnings Spetro & Pferox :'( I wasn't a very happy camper going into Academy with a bag of 6 reels. There again, I think the manager could tell, as they gave me a refund for all. Anyways, I picked up 4 new Shimano Citica's @ 119.00 ea., just can't justify 200.00 for a new curado. My luck, the curado would be the first one to go overboard.

James

I was told that the Allstar name was bought out by Academy after Academy had $325,000 in broken rods that they wanted to return to Allstar.  Shakesphere bought the Houston, TX plant to make the higher end rods and Academy outsources the cheaper rods to plants overseas.  The allstar reel is a cheap reel that is an Academy brand.  I don't know off hand who imports it for them.

GotstaFish

I owned a Plueger Trion and thought is was great for a week or two ,then it began a downward spiral. Didn't cast like it did before , hang-ups and backlashes. I sold it and will stick with my Shimanos and never look back again. JMO

James

The reason why Academy probably owns the Allstar name is the same reason Home Depot bought the rigid name.  The big retailers try to make more profit off cheaper stuff by putting a quality name on it. People don't have the stigma of a generic or second rate product when they see a product with a quality name behind it.  Once they run down that name they will just buy another name that was quality at one time to pawn junk and the spiral begins.

It also gives the store and exclusive without putting their own name on it. 

Benefits
1. They don't have to honor the beat the competitions lower price by 10% because it is an exclusive to their store.
2. Move more junk by putting a quality name to it which is a very strong brand name so people buy it thinking quality.  People don't think it is a generic product like buying a basspro rod or Cabelas rod.
3. They probably partner with Shakesphere since they sold them the Allstar rod plant in Houston, TX to use Shakesphere's expertise in dealing with importing products from overseas and finding factories overseas to produce products.

Win Win situation for Academy and for a customer that buys or cannot afford quality or medium priced fishing tackle and don't use the rod and reel but once a year. 

Lose Lose situation for the guy thinking he is getting a quality product since he thinks in his mind that the Allstar he grew to know all these years is making the product. He don't understand it is a cheap reel or rod with a name that meant quality at one time on it.