BAIT CAST OR SPINNING CAST

Started by bassmaster4879, January 03, 2006, 10:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassmaster4879

I BELIEVE THAT ONE TYPE OF REEL CAN BE USED FOR ANY TYPE OF FISHING.  I ALSO BELIEVE THAT WHEN YOU USE THAT PARTICULAR REEL YOU NEED TO HAVE 3 OR 4 MORE THAT HAVE DIFFERENT GEAR RATIOS.  THIS WAY WILL ALLOW YOU TO PERFECT THE SKILLS NEEDED TO FISH THAT PARTICULAR REEL.  ONCE THAT HAPPENS THEN TRY ANOTHER REEL....WHO KNOWS YOU MIGHT JUST LIKE IT BETTER.   I WENT FROM SPINNING TO BAIT CAST.  WILL NEVER USE OR GO BACK TO ANYTHING ELSE.   WHAT DOES EVERYBODY ELSE THINK??

Warpath

I still find alot of use for my spinning gear, even though they are the first rods left behind when I fish as a co-angler.  Windy conditions, drop-shotting, followup baits.....they are still valuable in my opinion. 

Eric

nlareau

As I get better with a baitcaster I use my spinning reels less and less.
The early bird may get the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

bassmaster4879

THAT IS VERY INTERESTING... WE START OUT WITH A SPINNING CAST THEN GO TO A BAIT CASTER THEN FOR SOME REASON WE ALWAYS GO BACK TO THE SPINNING.  WHAT DOES THAT TELL US.  I HAVE DONE IT MYSELF (GUILTY).  JUST DID IT THE OTHER DAY.

CouchTater

I have two spinning reels that I use for specific tactics.  Could I use a bait caster for the same presentation?  Yes, but I already employ baitcasters for other presentation's.  If you count my ultralight rigs, then I have 4 spinning reels that I fish with... ;)

I see the need for spinning reels, that is why I have 2 in my boat while I am fishing.  I like using lighter line on a spinning rather than a baitcaster...Then again it depends on the lake/river Im fishing.  8)

Tater
@BamaBass Twitter
@BamaBass78 Instagram

Ouachita

I go to a spinning reel for baits weighing under 3/8 oz, especially if wanting to use a 12# + line that, if on a baitcaster wouldn't get very far with so little casting weight, or yield too many backlashes. I will ALWAYS get a little to a lot more distance out of a spinning reel combo than a baitcaster weight for weight, so a very long cast would call me to use the spinning combo. I also find it much easier to skip lures with a spinning combo, using a rod under 6' long. The baitcaster is better suited for flippin and pitching, short casts, when using heavy line. Casting with a spinning reel and using a 3/4 oz + bait or a Carolina rig is very uncomfortable for me, losing accuracy and line control I find easy with a baitcaster combo.

Jim

spats

I like the balance of a good spinning rig for any finess or "feel" presentations.  I do all my plastic worming and light jig fishing with them.  Also, I don't like the feel of a baitcaster for most topwater presentations (except buzzbaits).  I can "walk the dog" and work soft jerkbaits like sluggos much more efficiently on spinning gear.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"

LoonyToon

;) :) A spinning rig is what I use to skip light baits under docks, around bushes and into crevices. I also use it if I have to make long casts with light weights. I like the feel of the baitcaster for crankbaits, rattletraps, and worming, and jigging as the need for a heavier rod is important with the last two, and a spinning rod is just too heavy to operate all day long this time of the year.  At this time of the year i will take 1 spinning outfit with me and ALL the rest are baitcasters of different ratios

Keep the Rod Tip up and the Hook Sharp

Pferox

I use spinning equipment 99% of the time.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

topcat

In my humble opinion both have a place in the world of fishing.........there are times

when the baitcast is needed....and there are times when the spinning cast is needed....

to get the job done......you can't play a golf game with just a putter...there are times

you need a chipper........

Topcat

OHRiverRat

Someone once said "different strokes for different folks'' and that definitely comes true here. Personally, if I could find a baitcaster that would handle light line and baits, I'd sell every spinning outfit I had. Since I don't think that one exists, I'll use a spinning setup for about 5% of my fishing and when I'm the co-angler, it's the first one to stay in the truck.
Optimum Baits Pro Staff     http//www.optimumbaits.com

topcat

Lunker Chaser when you get a chance look at Bass Pro they are advertising a

ProLite Finesse Baitcast Reel......if I remember right I think it weighs about 7.2

ounces and hold 10lb line.......good look with your search for one.........

Topcat

Baitcasting all the way. I know most people use both for different situations, but I've been able to use my baitcasters for any lure or technique I've ever used. I think baitcasters have a better feel, more cranking power, no line twist, better drag systems and for me the list goes on. To the guys wanting a lightweight reel, start lifting weights to gain more strength and stop worrying about something that weighs 10 or 12 ounces. If somebody can't use a 10 ounce reel for 6-8 hours then stop fishing altogether. Later!

Ron Fogelson

Quote from: guest on January 12, 2006, 02:00:55 PM
Baitcasting all the way. I know most people use both for different situations, but I've been able to use my baitcasters for any lure or technique I've ever used. I think baitcasters have a better feel, more cranking power, no line twist, better drag systems and for me the list goes on. To the guys wanting a lightweight reel, start lifting weights to gain more strength and stop worrying about something that weighs 10 or 12 ounces. If somebody can't use a 10 ounce reel for 6-8 hours then stop fishing altogether. Later!

Yep I think you might have missed the boat on this one!  Most folks that are talking about using light gear need it to cast/pitch/flip light baits, ever tried to use a baitcaster with 10 lbs test line or bigger to cast a 1/32onz jig for crappie?  It don't go far.   :roll2:

imp81318

I have never used a baitcaster, but have heard they can be tricky to get the hang of. I am just starting to get more into fishing seriously (learning proper techniques, etc.) and have considered trying a baitcaster. Is this a good idea, or should I wait until I am more experienced first?

Lipripper

imp81318   I'm like you and havn't used a baitcaster to much but I'm just now starting to get into Bass Fishing. I have one bait caster reels that I used for Walleye fishing and am useing for Bass now. The most frightning thing that comes to my mind when thinking about bait casters is the dreded BackLash or Birds nest or as they call it around here (Profenesinal Overrun  :roll2: :roll2:) I have found the the key to stopping most of this is to make sure you have the tension set right to match the lure you are going to be useing. Tie the lure on and release the spooil and adjust your tension till the lure goes down slowly to the ground in a smoth motion. Well like I said I'm just learning all this stuff too and not sure of the termanoligy or spelling either  lo lo but some of our Bass Folks will be along to help you out soon. Oh by the way you like winning stuff well make sure to click on this link to sign up for our Jan. New Members Contest
  I hope this was of some help to you.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Creel Limit Zero

I'm with you imp, I also have not used a baitcasting reel much.  I do have one now and have used it alot this past year.  I'm also going to get a couple of more with my Bass Pro Shop gift certificates I got this past year.  They certainly have their advantages when fishing and flipping into the heavy stuff.  Like Lip said, matching the tension to the size of the lure will help alleviate the backlashes.  I'd say go for it and let us know how it works out.  When you do purchase, I know there is a real good thread around here somewhere explaining the right way to set the tension of the reel that will help you on your way.   ~c~

Quote from: Fogy on January 12, 2006, 02:10:13 PM
Yep I think you might have missed the boat on this one!  Most folks that are talking about using light gear need it to cast/pitch/flip light baits, ever tried to use a baitcaster with 10 lbs test line or bigger to cast a 1/32onz jig for crappie?  It don't go far.   :roll2:

Maybe you missed the boat! You're talking about crappie, but this is a "BASS" forum. And yes I have cast 8-10 lb. line and lures as light as 1/8 ounce with my baitcasters. It can be done if setup properly. I leave little lures like that to my kids. I think of myself as a power fisherman and use nothing less than 3/8 ounce and I catch enough 6-10 pounders on a routine basis. If I have to downsize to catch 1-2 pound bass I'd rather go home. Later!

topcat

To those who have never tried a baitcast reel....the only way to learn is.......... purchase one and practice...the more you practice the better you will get at..... using a baitcaster......BPS  has a great little reel to start out with the maga cast..
for around $30.00 bucks......read the instructions and start casting in the back yard.....you will get better....

remember the ten two letter words slogan......{if it is to be.......it is up to me}

Topcat

imp81318

Topcat: Can you suggest a rod to go with that reel? I have NEVER used a baitcaster before, but am interested in trying it out. Thanks again!

Pferox

IMP, a good entry level rod is a Shakespear excursion, you can find em at Wallmart for less than 14 bucks. They are graphite, and light.
I use a 6.6mh trigger rod and it works great with those more affordable reels.

Think of it this way if you don't like it you are out what maybe 60 bucks at max.

When you fall in love with it, you can then go for the more expensive rigs.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

topcat

Hi Imp: I think Pferox is correct when he suggested to you the.....Shakesphere
excursion...it is a cheaper reel to learn on...and you don't have as many bucks tied up in it....if you decide that you don't like baitcasting.....and the rod he suggest is a great rod....to practice on and use to you get the hang of it.......

with times being like they are now......you don't want to tie up to much money in the learning...stage......save that money for a quality reel and rod if you like baitcasting...which I think you will..... good luck with you baitcasting....Imp

thanks Pferox that is a great way to start.....buddy never thought about Wal_mart.......

topcat

GoneFishin

Imp, I agree with Pferox and Topcat with keeping it affordable. If you have a local tackle shop, not a chain, frequently they will not only help you with selection, but help you learn as well. The first few casts for me were in the parking lot with a sinker at the end of the line. I know that helped me, but you also have to ask for the help......hopefully it's not like asking for direction when lost....we all know how you guys are about that! LOL

Hope that was at least somewhat helpful. On the subject as a whole, I think there is a place for baitcasters and spinning tackle. Most likely the place is in the mind. Sort of like your "go to" bait. Is that bait really responsible for catching the most fish for you, or is it the confidence you have in it that allows you to work it better than any other lure??? I know I am more confident and prefer using baitcasters for topwater,buzzbaits and most pitchin and flippin. Spinning for skipping, hmmm, as I am thinking, I have to say I like both for most, it depends more on the environment more than the bait for me...thanks guys, never thought about it like that before!

Ouachita

I don't know of even as few as a dozen pro anglers not carrying at least one spinning reel combo these days. It's pretty handy in pressured water where big bass will only take downsized lures. Very light weight lures commonly thought to be suitable only for crappie are often the only things big or smaller bass will bite. And no, you will not cast those with distance or precision using a baitcaster no matter how experienced you are or how light the line. We can't defy the physics involved in low mass lures cast with a baitcaster spool even set to maximum looseness. Many bass jigs are just too light to get the spool moving. If you leave the spinning rod combo home there will be many bassless trips. I couldn't even guess how many times I would have been skunked if not spinning a 1/8 oz jig 30 feet, something that isn't going to happen with a baitcaster. You'll be slapping water 10 feet out every cast without a reel that offers practically no resistance to light line. You at least need the extra wide rod guide to manage limber line.

In my guiding days I had a theory a baitcasting novice ought to be handed a low priced baitcaster combo, something really simple to use. It became apparent to me the shortest learning curve is had on a high end reel that solves much of the casting difficulty using a cheap reel. They learn much faster and are more easily satisfied. Trying to learn on a less efficient reel can easily discourage anyone from wanting to pick up another one. It's a matter of good quality and practice. Anyone can spend the time and learn to baitcast as easily as learning to use a spinning reel. If you are serious about bass fishing, I recommend biting the bullet and getting as much reel as you can afford. The better the reel the happier you will be with it. I've yard-saled enough cheap baitcaster reels to fill a home trash can. I find them along the shoreline fairly often, probably flung out of the boat with much cursing. Want to tour America by auto? Don't get a Yugo. Want to eat steak at the Outback? Don't use a plastic fork and knife. Like cheap rods? Dumpsters around the lake often have $20 rods in them.

Jim

nnola17

i mostly use bait casting reels but i do have 2 spinning reels that i use when its windy or i have a light bait on. i can just get more distance out of a bait caster once i learned how to use it good.