Something Different!

Started by bigjim5589, October 15, 2021, 11:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjim5589

I've got a new mold!  ;D
Do It Molds has introduced a new Ned Rig mold that uses offset hooks to make a weedless Ned Jig.  I had to get one and hooks to go with it. At the moment, the mold is designed only for Victory size 1 hooks, but I also modified it to enable using a VMC hook in 1/0 & 2/0, in addition to the size 1.

Also, I've been working on some Bonefish jigs. They're tied on a Sparkie style head in 1/8 & 1/16 oz. and size 2 & 4 hooks. I'm sure they would work fine for other fish species too in both freshwater & saltwater.  :)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

D.W. Verts

Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

bigjim5589

Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

D.W. Verts

I just dig your attention to detail. I decided a long time ago that as long as I was building baits for ME, then ugly was just fine.

Dale

Wizard

Jim, you've made great looking jigs for a long time. Always glad to see your pictures. 

Wizard

bigjim5589

Dale, "ugly"  or "pretty" is a matter of opinion. I've been tying since I was a kid, and no one ever told me not to try & make them look good, so they've evolved that way based on how I learned. I don't intentionally try to make them pretty either, just make them how I know, and what they end up looking like, ugly or pretty, that's up to anyone else who see's them.   ::)

I think I do a decent job with them, but really only care how the fish may react.   ;)

Wizard, thank you sir! I very much appreciate your comment!  ;D

D.W. Verts

bigjim5589

~c~ ~c~ ~c~
Dale, I think that I would prefer to call that jig of yours, "practical". If it catches fish, that's really all it needs to be.   ~gf

A lot of folks have caught fish on unpainted jigs, and other lures. All that is mostly for us. I like painting them, and all that goes with making them, it's just part of the process for me.  I pretty much stay with basic colors and the powder coat paints help control some oxidation of the lead, so I paint them for that reason too.   Otherwise, I've used unpainted jigs at times and it didn't matter if they had paint on them or not. 

Pro angler Paul Mueller, is one of the DO IT Molds pros, and he's won tournaments on home made, unpainted lures. Steve Miller is a Walleye tournament pro and also one of the DO IT Molds pros, and he too has won tournaments on home made, unpainted lures.

As long as you have the confidence to fish them, knowing they'll catch some fish, it don't matter how they look to any of us. That's one of the great things about making them, you can do anything that you like.

I also don't get too concerned about the carefully trimmed skirts. Heck, I don't even do that with tying hair on jigs or flies. I've never seen anything that fish eat that looks like a paint brush anyway. Too neat doesn't look natural to me.

Keep making them "ugly" jigs, if they catch fish for you!  That's the reason for making them anyway!   :)

Oldfart9999

Jim, the mushroom head wide gap mold looks like a great idea, finesse fishing in deeper cover is possible without all the tangles. What sizes do they offer? The bonefish jigs look really great and they should work great for bass also.
Dale, the only thing I would change with yours is to tie the skirt, I don't like rubber collars, especially in heavy cover, for me they start loosening up and pulling down.Other than that they look like fish catchers for sure.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

D.W. Verts

Rodney, I tied on MOST of the skirts that I use myself with old-fashioned square rubber.

Dale

bigjim5589

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on October 18, 2021, 07:26:46 AM
Jim, the mushroom head wide gap mold looks like a great idea, finesse fishing in deeper cover is possible without all the tangles. What sizes do they offer? The bonefish jigs look really great and they should work great for bass also.
Dale, the only thing I would change with yours is to tie the skirt, I don't like rubber collars, especially in heavy cover, for me they start loosening up and pulling down.Other than that they look like fish catchers for sure.
Rodney

Rodney, yep, I've given up on the rubber collars completely and now tie everything. It's a problem for changing skirts, but that's fine, as I just make more jigs.  I just went through some older jigs the other night, and every one of the collars had deteriorated, so now I have a pile of jigs that need to be tied.

That new mold, which Do It calls the Weedless Midwest Finesse mold,  pours 1/16, 3/32. 1/8, 5/32, 3/16 & 1/4 oz sizes, the same sizes as the first Do It Midwest Finesse mold. Hook availability is limited, and the mold is intended for a Victory size 1. VMC makes a similar hook in size 1, 1/0 & 2/0, but I had to modify the mold to allow them to fit. There's a fellow lure maker that I know, who has been having a similar hook made, and is selling them, and he has the same sizes, and may also have a size 2.  He's been selling the hooks as fast as he gets them and I believe he's having 30,000 made each time.

In looking around at this type of jig, I've seen that some lure companies are using Gamakatsu hooks, so they must be having them made, as I haven't as yet seen the Gamakatsu on the market.

I've also seen where some are using a regular offset worm hook, which is a good idea since those hooks are a little more available, and in some cases are a slightly stouter hook.

This is all a good idea, particularly with the popularity of the Ned Rig. Should save some baits & jigs, as the regular Ned Jig does have a tendency to snag unless a weed guard is added.

I've fished that regular Ned Rig, using some of the baits that are made for it, and also have cut some big stick baits in half, and that's worked well. I actually prefer them to the Ned rig baits. I haven't caught any bass of much size, but it's a good lure for numbers and on an ultralight setup, it's a fun way to fish.  ;D

apenland01

bigjim5589

caddyjoe77

those greens would be killer for the smallies in TN :)
BeerMe

bigjim5589

Quote from: caddyjoe77 on October 23, 2021, 11:07:23 PM
those greens would be killer for the smallies in TN :)

Thanks Joe! It may be your monitor, but they're actually brown/tan in color. I agree that in these colors, they should, would be great for Smallmouths and I also like olive/greenpumpkin for hair jigs, so in those green colors should work too.

These jigs are on a Sparkie style head, and tied with a combination of feathers and raccoon tail hair, which works well for jigs this small.  The hooks are size 2 & 4, black nickel, that I bought from a fellow who sells hooks for fly tying. They have a 60 degree bend and stout hooks that small are hard to find. Fortunately, fly tyers are using more small jig hooks now. I just hope these hold up well in saltwater.  ~gf