Put those Lifejackets on.

Started by Chris, May 28, 2007, 04:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

Damn.....another quality human being gone because of no PFD.  :-\

NEW ORLEANS -- A body believed to be New England Patriots player Marquise Hill was found by searchers Monday, a day after he was reported missing following a personal watercraft accident on Lake Pontchartrain.

"The family will have to make positive identification," Capt. Brian Clark of the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Department said. "But the body we found was that of Mr. Marquise Hill."

The body was discovered about a quarter-mile from where Hill and a female companion were involved in the accident, Clark said.

The Coast Guard were called Sunday night, Petty Officer Tom Atkeson said. The search began immediately, using boats and helicopters.

Hill

By the time the body was found, the Coast Guard, Wildlife and Fisheries, the New Orleans Police Department and Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Department were involved, Clark said.

Hill's agent, Albert Elias, said he had been told Hill and a young woman were riding a watercraft Sunday in the lake when both of them went into the water, which had a strong current. Elias said the woman was able to make it to a pylon and hang on until she was rescued, while Hill was last seen floating away from the scene.

"We are all shocked," Patriots owner Robert Kraft said in a statement."

Hill played on LSU's national championship team and was a second-round draft pick by New England in 2004.

"It's shocking," said Patriots cornerback Randall Gay, who was also a college teammate of Hill's at LSU, and who was at the scene when officials pulled the body from the lake. "This is going to be hard for a lot of people."

The woman, whose identity was not available Monday morning, was rescued and sent to Tulane Medical Center where she told them Hill had tried to keep her calm as the two were drifting away from each other.

Neither Hill nor the woman wore a life preserver, Atkeson said.

"It's so important to have a life jacket and a signaling device," Atkeson said. "One keeps you afloat and the other helps us find you."

Elias said Hill, a defensive end, spent much of his time since Hurricane Katrina helping family members rebuild their homes.

weirdlittleman

that is sad if you where one  it would save your life  it like not whereing your seat belt 

ed
"The past cannot be changed, but the future is still in your power!"
"Don't let today's disappointments cast a shadow on tomorrow's dreams!"

bassboy

Unreal...hopefully this will change some people's thinking about how important pfd's are...but, prolly not.. :bang :bang :bang :bang

Prayers to the family.. :( :( :( :( :(

Chris
It ain't how 'ya hold yer rod...
It's how 'ya wiggle yer worm.... 

Creel Limit Zero

Awful.  As much as folks get thrown from PWC, I can't believe they were not wearing a PFD...

CouchTater

See so many people running around with out them.  I don't know why people dont take the time to put one on.  :fishy
@BamaBass Twitter
@BamaBass78 Instagram

imp81318

I heard about this on the radio this morning... it is absolutely ridiculous...

scwildbill

Quote from: chris on May 28, 2007, 04:18:40 PM
Damn.....another quality human being gone because of no PFD.  :-\

Cleaning out the Gene pool!  :bang

Sorry but I can't get upset about stewpid people doing stewpid things!  ~read

Life jackets serve a purpose... THEY SAVE LIVES, hence the name LIFEJACKET! :fishy
Proud Team Member of the Palmetto Posse

topcat

This is very sad news.......how many more have to lose their lives before the message sinks in WEAR A PFD WHEN ON THE WATER  :bang....Prayers gone up in Sooner land for the family and friends.......

Topcat

FisshhBill

I'm aware that I may open the "bait bucket" of controversy here, but I personally would not be opposed the US Coast guard adopting one Bass Tournaments most strictly enforced rules. PFD's must be worn any time the boats main engine is on and the boat is underway.

However I realize this might be taken by some as the government taking away another one of our rights, "The right to die in a boating accident", leaving loved ones and their children a lesson learned the "heart retching way" .

:( It is very sad indeed.
Quickly - 38 years of pleasure fishing, 28 years of "just bass" and 10 years of tournaments, whew!  "give it 150%, or give it nothing!

Cody Coyote

That is very sad news  :(

I am one of the guilty ones  :bang I use to never wear one while I was in the boat, but I would make my wife and kids wear one  ???

It wasn't until I joined UB and I started reading the reports about people being killed because they were too lazy to put on a PFD  :(

Now everytime I get in the boat, and it doesn't matter who is in the boat with me, will wear a PFD, last time I was home I took my dad fishing and when he got in the boat I asked him to put on his PFD, and he just looked at me with that  :-\ look on his face, and I explained to him that whoever is in my boat will wear a PFD, and it doesn't matter who it is.  ~shade

Needless to say he did put it on, and so did I, it doesn't take but 10 seconds, and that 10 seconds could save your life  8)

mlakrid

This is sad... for those of you who would like a MUSTANG wearable lifejacket, they are on sale at BassPro for $150

See HERE: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&partNumber=74459&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

Use them folks, they DO save lives...

Mike A!
Land O Lakes, FL
A Bad day on the water is still better than the best day at work!!@!!

AB

I for one will never wear a vest that is not a 100mph vest with imapct protection in it.  Had one save my butt one day and I'm not one for trying to press my luck when it comes to safety... ;)

mlakrid

Quote from: AB on May 31, 2007, 12:02:46 PM
I for one will never wear a vest that is not a 100mph vest with imapct protection in it.  Had one save my butt one day and I'm not one for trying to press my luck when it comes to safety... ;)

:-\  ??? I am confused... the link I provided is to a TYPE II vest the single BEST flotation regulations flotation for near shore fishing/ flotation...

Am I missing something with the 100 MPH comment?

See this link for coast guard regulations with respect to flotation types:

http://www.boat-ed.com/fl/course/p4-7_pfds.htm

Mike A!
Land O Lakes, FL
A Bad day on the water is still better than the best day at work!!@!!

AB

Not missing a thing at all......Just a different style of vest.  The 100mph vests have leg straps that go between your legs to keep it on you in case you come out, along with the standard chest straps and zipper, plus impact protection built into the vest to help lessen a blow should you fall out of the boat at 70+mph...Also helps when you have a "mishap" and end up being thrown around in the boat as well...Just a personal preference thing...