There's a NEW Soft Jerk Bait in Town: It's "The Truth"

Started by Capt. BassinLou, March 20, 2023, 08:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

I wanted to start off this bait review by saying, here on Ultimate Bass we embrace the opportunity to help our members achieve their life goals and dreams.

On to the bait review.

If you have been a UB member for a spell, you will quickly learn that I enjoy throwing soft jerk baits. It's one of the main baits I use with my guiding clients fishing here in South Florida.

I recently posted a fluke video over on my You Tube channel, and few days later I was contacted by NoExcuses. In case that name sounds awfully familiar, its because NoExcuses is one of our Charter Members.

NoExcuses noticed how much I enjoy fishing the Fluke, and he took a moment to share with me his story in regards to a soft jerk bait he created called the "The Truth." During the course of the story he asked if I would be open to trying out "The Truth" down here in South Florida. Since I'm a bait junky, and enjoy testing out baits, I jumped on the opportunity to help out NoExcuses.

I received the baits a few days later, and have been testing them out ever since. Below are some of my observations thus far: I will be discussing several attributes of this bait as well as rigging options that I'm currently experimenting with.

"The Truth." Imho, I see it as a cross between a Sluggo, Fluke, and a Snake. I know, those are a lot of crosses,,,  lo lo

5 things quickly jumped out at me when I first got my hands on  "The Truth"

- 1. Bait Softness
- 2. The segments between the grooves
- 3. The flat under side
- 4. The tail
- 5. Head shape

These 5 observations I believe are what make this bait so unique.

Water Observations

"The Truth" has a unique movement pattern when it moves through the water. Loose and fluid are the first 2 words that come to my mind.

The bait does not quickly sink, it takes a little while if you fish it weight less, which makes it a great shallow water bait, for me at least.  ;)

Rigging Methods

NoExcuses has his recommended rigging methods, which compliments "The Truth's" design.  I'm experimenting with other rigging methods to increase the durability of bait. With a hot bite and a couple of clients I need to preserve soft plastics as best I can.  ;)

I have found so far rigging "The Truth" similar to how I rig my Fluke's  has helped improve this baits longevity.

- I have been using a weightless swimbait hook with a centering pin.

As I mentioned, this review is ongoing, and the video is currently in the works.

If I have peaked your curiosity about this bait, reach out to NoExcuses, he will point you guys in the right direction.

Thank you for reading!!

apenland01

BassmanRudy

Has a shrimp look to me! Something about the segments and the flat tail.
"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

No Excuses

Thanks Captain Lou!

So, in addition to all the things you've said about my baby, It is apparently "ambidextrous"  lo I guess I take for granted that everyone knows which is the top and which is the bottom.  ~b~ Had this very discussion last weekend when I landed a fish for my brother in law. I noticed he had it hooked upside down. The bait is designed for the round part on bottom, flat on top. To me, when fishing it in grass and pads, there is just a little bit less surface contact as you are coming thru it with the round side down. But, obviously it doesn't make a lot of difference. I also had a customer text me some pics and he was fishing it Texas rigged with a worm weight. I have another customer that is fishing them on a Carolina rig. Another thing I have done with success including catching Dorothy earlier this month, is wacky rigging it. The bait is super versatile. I have flipped it in beds and caught fish, or worked it over beds and caught fish. Also some guys are cutting it down and using it as a chatterbait trailer. I usually throw it up on top of a grass mat, with my rod tip up, pull it to the edge and then kill it for a second when it falls off the edge, then drop my rod tip down and twitch it lightly like I was working a frog or fluke. In pads, I keep the rod tip up, almost hopping is across the pads, If I come to an opening I'll kill it and let it sink for a second, the resume my tip down retrieve. I use a 6'8" Med Mod Fast Taper, and 15lb Seguar Red Label. I like the short rod because it keeps the tip out of the water when I am retrieving it. The bait is pretty much neutrally buoyant, but the weight of the hook and the fluorocarbon give it some slow sinking action. I really appreciate it Lou, and can't wait to see the video!

Capt. BassinLou

Lmao!! Figures I would rig it wrong!!

I also rig the flukes upside too, but it's on purpose.

Here are a couple of revised pics with the "The Truth" rigged as per NoExcuses specs. ;)

Donald Garner

Lou, Mark
Tks for sharing the in & outs of the bait.  I'm looking forward to seeing the video also  ~shade
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Smallie_Stalker

Looks good. I like that the cuts are deeper than what you find on other baits of this type.

Lou, I wonder if you will find a difference in the way the bait moves between rigging flat side up and the way you originally had it. Does the hook come out in the same spot both ways?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Oldfart9999

It's an interesting looking bait, very interesting. Sounds like, as with most soft plastics, there are different ways to rig and they all produce.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

apenland01

With the hook in that position, it would definitely be on top of the water more than in the water...

Larry Francis

The Fluke is one of my favorites. This is a very interesting version of it and will work well I imagine. I may have to try some of these.

In the review I did not see the actual length of this one? Kinda hard to tell in the pictures.

Thanks Lou.
Molon Labe

No Excuses

It is 5.5"

Also, here is a pic of my master. Hand carved out of a piece of oak cut from a shipping pallet.....

No Excuses

Blacknredflake

Ok so where do I send my money? Lol

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

BITE THE DAMN WORM!

jwkelley51

Looks like the segments would be more effective nose hooked with a cps spring.

Redleg79

I watched your video on The Truth yesterday, looks like a great swimbait man. I've been contemplating trying to create one as well.
ARMY Veteran (97-02)
Soft Bait Maker
Love to Hunt, Fish, and trail ride.

fishingram24

My first thought when I looked at the picture was sluggo with a tail. Loved fishing the sluggo years ago but use the fluke now because of easy access.
Retired and loving every minute of it!