Super Spook Boyo Review

Started by Capt. BassinLou, April 07, 2023, 12:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

The Super Spook Boyo. This lure is a recent addition to the Heddon's family of Spooks.  Flat'sNBays actually introduced me to this lure last year, but I didn't begin fishing with the Boyo until recently.

Here are the specs of this lure before I continue with the review:
- length: 3"
- weight: 3/8 oz
- one rattle

The 3" length and 3/8 oz weight is the sweet spot for this type of walking lure. I have thrown the Zara puppy, and the Super Spook for years, but this Boyo is something else.

I was able to LAUNCH the Boyo off my Custom FDX BFS rod with ease! The entire length of my cast was inside  the strike zone of Largemouth and Peacock bass. With both species annihilating lure.

The Boyo's hardware held up to the constant barrage of striking abuse. I did have to re-align the hooks every once in a while, but that's expected during a HOT Peacock bite.

In a nutshell, do yourself a favor and pick up a few Super Spook Boyo's, they come in a variety of colors, and you will not be disappointed with the outcome.

In case you missed it, check out FlatsNBays Everglades Fishing Report where he discussed his experience fishing with the Boyo!! Click there --> Everglades "What a Day"

Thank you for reading!!

Hobious

am I reading it correctly?  you are throwing that on a BFS rod?  a light-rod?

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Hobious on April 07, 2023, 12:53:13 PM
Yes, a medium light. A Medium rod will be just fine too.

Smallie_Stalker

When you say one rattle is it a low thump "knocker" type sound or an actual BB style rattle? Asking for a friend

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on April 07, 2023, 04:23:13 PM
When you say one rattle is it a low thump "knocker" type sound or an actual BB style rattle? Asking for a friend

I would describe it as in between. But its heavy enough to shift the weight towards the rear of the lure and make it very easy and aerodynamic to cast.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on April 07, 2023, 04:26:13 PM
Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on April 07, 2023, 04:23:13 PM

I would describe it as in between. But its heavy enough to shift the weight towards the rear of the lure and make it very easy and aerodynamic to cast.
Got ya, thanks

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

FlatsNBay

I can easily cast the BOYO a long way with a standard topwater rod. Lou was right, this bait really hits the sweet stop in size, weight, action, and sound. I love it when the bass are feeding on small forage. I've had the pleasure of using the BOYO the last year and fell in love with it too. My favorite colors for bass is the black and chrome and shad.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Dink Dawg

Smallmouth love that color pattern in you photo. Perfect!

FD

Quote from: Hobious on April 07, 2023, 12:53:13 PM
Medium Light - Extra Fast.  It behaves more like a MH-F that you can throw 1/4 - 3/4 oz baits on.  It is a magnificent design if I do say so myself...

Sent from the very edge of civilization...where I belong

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

chrisD46

I'm persuaded to try one now - I passed up on it last season thinking it would be too small to cast as well as not knowing if the action / sound was good ?

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: chrisD46 on April 09, 2023, 06:10:06 AM
I'm persuaded to try one now - I passed up on it last season thinking it would be too small to cast as well as not knowing if the action / sound was good ?
I don't believe you will be disappointed. I think you will be quite surprised, actually. Come back and let us know your thoughts.

coldfront

lou,what are the key differences between a spook JR and the boyo?
never mind... went lookin'...

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: coldfront on April 09, 2023, 11:16:44 AM

Much easier to walk and throw. 

chrisD46

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on April 09, 2023, 11:52:32 AM
Quote from: coldfront on April 09, 2023, 11:16:44 AM

Much easier to walk and throw.
The Boyo being the easier one to walk and throw ?

coldfront

Quote from: chrisD46 on April 11, 2023, 07:01:54 AMThe Boyo being the easier one to walk and throw ?
am guessing, but I think I read Lou's comments to be comparing the spook puppy versus the boyo.
Lou?

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: coldfront on April 11, 2023, 09:27:48 AM
Quote from: chrisD46 on April 11, 2023, 07:01:54 AMThe Boyo being the easier one to walk and throw ?
am guessing, but I think I read Lou's comments to be comparing the spook puppy versus the boyo.
Lou?

Correct. The boyo is much easier to walk than the Zara puppy.

Capt. BassinLou

Can't wait to try out these new to me Boyo colors!!

FlatsNBay

The shad color on top is a killer. I've caught both bass and peacocks on it. You're going to love those colors.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FlatsNBay on April 19, 2023, 08:37:00 PM
The shad color on top is a killer. I've caught both bass and peacocks on it. You're going to love those colors.

I'm looking forward to testing them out.

Blacknredflake

Lurenet paint shop has a special all nickel finish of the boyo on their site right now.   Think only 300 painted.  Only 8 bucks plus shipping.

BITE THE DAMN WORM!

Capt. BassinLou

I posted this question over on my instagram (@bassinwithcaptlou), and I wanted to share with you guys a little bit more details.

Above, you have the tale of two Spook Boyos. I made 2 changes. It's obvious what the first change was, and upon closer inspection, you can spot the second. I will just say it, I swapped out the split rings to a thicker SS steel one.
I have been fishing these Boyos hard over the last several weeks, and although the Boyo's are ok right out of the box. They are no match for peacocks after intense back to back outings. Split rings take a beating and fail. The hooks do ok for a spell, but eventually, they need to be changed out as well. Last week a Peacock snapped the rear treble hook assembly in half!!  :o

Overall, I'm very happy I was introduced to these spooks. They have been a great addition to my fishing lure arsenal.

FlatsNBay

It's amazing how much power a peacock bass has. They can tear up almost any lure.

The BOYO Spook is just the right bait and size when the large mouth bass are feeding on smaller bait. I love it.

J.W.

Dang! Those peacocks ain't no joke!  lo

I looked for quite a while the other day at Bass Pro trying to find a Boyo, but only saw the other ones (super spook, junior, and puppy). I guess they don't have 'em there. I guess I'll have to order a few somewhere.