I switched back to mono.

Started by Capt. BassinLou, January 29, 2023, 06:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

topdsm0138

Nothing wrong with using mono or braid. What I have found out is that different types of reels or rods really don't do as great with braid (I use PowerPro). So those ones I keep spooled with Mono. Also I noticed that certain lures do better on braid or mono, so I ha e always had atleast one of each type with me (2 casters, 2 spinning, in both braid and mono) for certain situations or presentations.

Sent from undisclosed location. -Tiller Mafia

"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont

loomisguy

I use straight braid on my topwater rods and braid/leader on my spinning rods. Everything else gets Flouro. I really can't think of a reason not to use it. It has some stretch but not as much as mono It holds a knot well and it's just flat-out tough stuff.
I think it's gotten better over the last 10 years or so in terms of manageability and knot strength.
Now you can just buy a spool of Sunline sniper for $20 and its going to last 6 months or so.

Capt. BassinLou

I wanted to provide you guys with an update, plus this will make for a good discussion. ;)

I have been fishing my mono T-rig a lot since I started this thread. As you may recall I was having a really tough time setting the hook properly using 100% mono.

I read over many of your responses, thank you btw, and decided to switch it up again!! Lol!!

I went back to braid as my main line and decided to stick with leaders.

This time around however I switched things around. I'm fishing with 15lb PP braid as my main, which is the lightest braid I have ever thrown on a bait caster and went back to a leader. The leader is a little bit longer than I usually tie. 

The interesting part is I can experiment with different line types as my leader. Mono, Copoly, FC. But the braid will stay on for my main line.

I need that hook-setting power. The only way I was getting a solid hook set with the mono was when the bass was literally in front of me. Distant hooksets just weren't happening even as I reeled in all of the slack and came tight.

As always I will check in and let you guys know if I finally have dialed in my best t-rig setup. :)

Smallie_Stalker

That is a big part of why I switched away from mono myself. The lack of sensitivity to compared to other lines was the other part.

I also did the leader thing for some years but it just wasn't for me personally.

I know you'll get it figured out for what works best for you and I'll be following along with this thread to see how that plays out 

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

coldfront

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on February 28, 2023, 01:15:15 PM

looks great on the reel! 

;D

I've never had issue with leader knots parting.  but also hear that the closer in line diameter you can get for 'both' lines before tie-ing is helpful. I use predominantly 30# braid (12 lb test diameter) on baitcasters.  longer casts... still have what it takes/I need to pull those big girls out of the mats.   can't wait to hear your experiences/thoughts.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: coldfront on February 28, 2023, 02:24:01 PM

looks great on the reel! 

;D

I've never had issue with leader knots parting.  but also hear that the closer in line diameter you can get for 'both' lines before tie-ing is helpful. I use predominantly 30# braid (12 lb test diameter) on baitcasters.  longer casts... still have what it takes/I need to pull those big girls out of the mats.   can't wait to hear your experiences/thoughts.

I don't have an issue with my leader to main line connections either. I made the switch to mono because a good of friend of mine challenged me to do so, and I obliged. However I learned a few things while fishing with mono, and I think the change to the lighter braid and longer leader this time around is going to be ideal for me.

FlatsNBay

Switching to a high quality fluorocarbon in the 17-20 lb. range will solve all your problems. I wouldn't mess around with a braid to leader combo.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FlatsNBay on March 02, 2023, 05:55:42 AM
Switching to a high quality fluorocarbon in the 17-20 lb. range will solve all your problems. I wouldn't mess around with a braid to leader combo.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Makes sense, thanks Flats. A braid to leader combination just works for me better in the long run. It's heckuva a lot cheaper in the long run.

RangerAndBass

Lou, have you had any issues with your very thin braid on a baitcaster binding? I have been told that can happen.

I wanted to provide you guys with an update, plus this will make for a good discussion. ;)

I have been fishing my mono T-rig a lot since I started this thread. As you may recall I was having a really tough time setting the hook properly using 100% mono.

I read over many of your responses, thank you btw, and decided to switch it up again!! Lol!!

This time around however I switched things around. I'm fishing with 15lb PP braid as my main, which is the lightest braid I have ever thrown on a bait caster and went back to a leader. The leader is a little bit longer than I usually tie. 

The interesting part is I can experiment with different line types as my leader. Mono, Copoly, FC. But the braid will stay on for my main line.

I need that hook-setting power. The only way I was getting a solid hook set with the mono was when the bass was literally in front of me. Distant hooksets just weren't happening even as I reeled in all of the slack and came tight.

As always I will check in and let you guys know if I finally have dialed in my best t-rig setup. :)
Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic!

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: RangerAndBass on March 05, 2023, 02:46:42 PM
Lou, have you had any issues with your very thin braid on a baitcaster binding? I have been told that can happen.

No issues as of now, Bryn.

Capt. BassinLou

Update time.

I found my winning combo.

734 Dobyns rod

15lb braid as my main line, with a long, (7ft plus) 15lb leader (insert whichever mono, fc, copoly line) 

Fished the combo a lot yesterday. While my fishing partners fished strictly using mono.

I was toe to toe with them in the catching dept, and the best part was my hooksets.

Solid hooksets with no springy or noodle feel behind them. Just one solid connection to the bass.  Loved it!

The small FG knot went through the level wind and guides with zero issues.