Simple, cheap works

Started by Oldfart9999, January 10, 2020, 06:14:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldfart9999

I'll stand by tip to get a heads up on trailer bearing failure avoidance. When you get to the boat ramp walk up the drivers side of the tow vehicle to the trailer axle/axles and touch the hub to see if it's warm or hot then walk around the back of the trailer and do the same on boats drivers side and do the same. If any one or more of the hub/hubs is warm or hot have all of them serviced. Do the same when you get back home.
There you go, free takes less than a minute and just plane works, no high tech gear needed. It can save you a break down on the road and a ruined trip.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

apenland01

My boat is in the shop now getting a couple of things fixed, but the main thing is a bearing.  I was backing down the ramp on Saturday getting ready to load and one of the guys on the ramp said "hey, your bearing is grinding".  So I got out, thanked him and noticed the hub had black soot on it.  Not sure what from, but the shop is working on it as we speak.

Good tip for sure.  Nearly the worst breakdown you can have not being on the water.

Mike Cork

I do this regularly, especially when on long distance trips ~c~ ~c~ Letting a bearing go to the point of spindle or hub destruction is no fun...

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Tatsu Dave

Very good tip it can save you a lot of trouble on the road. I voted!

Donald Garner

Rodney tks for sharing this valuable tip.  Bearing failure like mentioned is no fun nor is it cheap to repair.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

coldfront

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on January 10, 2020, 06:14:14 AM
I'll stand by tip to get a heads up on trailer bearing failure avoidance. When you get to the boat ramp walk up the drivers side of the tow vehicle to the trailer axle/axles and touch the hub to see if it's warm or hot then walk around the back of the trailer and do the same on boats drivers side and do the same. If any one or more of the hub/hubs is warm or hot have all of them serviced. Do the same when you get back home.
There you go, free takes less than a minute and just plane works, no high tech gear needed. It can save you a break down on the road and a ruined trip.
Rodney

rodney:  what's hot feel like in this case?  just 'warmer' than air temps?

TNDiver

I check mine but I worry about the fact that drive a short distance to the ramp, would it heat up enough.   You can do the same with your vehicles brakes if they are sticking.  They will get very hot to where you can't touch them very long without getting burned and it will burn your skin!  Don't know if it is the same for trailer bearings.  I need to get a spare set, just need to figure out what all info I need
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

FishaHallic

Mine are slightly warm, not hot.  I just repacked them a month or so ago, gotta think even new bearings are gonna create a little heat......right?
17' Grizzly w/40hp etec, micro powerpole,  Lowrance Elite 9 TI 2  9lbs 15oz PB     2021 winner of Ted and Dave's spring classic
                            TRUTH MATTERS

Oldfart9999

Long trip, comfortable to the touch should be fine.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

rjn cajun

This may be the one of the single best tips of all time for trailer pulling in general but more so for us fisherman considering how much we pull. This could save you hours on the side of the road or ruin a family vacation. I do this every time I get to launch. Maybe an overkill but on long trips I will also stop every 100 miles or so just to check. That 100 miles is about the length of time my wife and daughters decide they need a bathroom break ::)
The harbor looks much better after you have made it through a rough storm.

FishaHallic

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on July 20, 2020, 06:50:17 AM
Long trip, comfortable to the touch should be fine.
Rodney

Thanks Rodney
17' Grizzly w/40hp etec, micro powerpole,  Lowrance Elite 9 TI 2  9lbs 15oz PB     2021 winner of Ted and Dave's spring classic
                            TRUTH MATTERS

big g

Been doing that every trip for 30 years when I get home.  A friend once lost a trailer tire. And hub and it past his truck while driving down the highway.  I always check.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

rich12

At the same time, you can grab the top of the tire and push in and out.  This will tip you off to worn bearings even if they are not hot yet.