Getting on plane in very shallow water without damage.

Started by big g, February 28, 2022, 03:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

big g

Many years ago I read an article on boat control. One topic that has been helpful over the years at Loxahatchee, and Okeechobee, bodies of water with massive shallow flats was safely taking off in shallow waters.  They mentioned if you have someone with you have them sit up front on the deck.  Then tuck the trim down. When taking off start in a big ark instead of straight ahead.  This pulls the lower end out to the side as the boat turns instead of digging in.  The tighter the ark the higher the lower unit will stray.  You must know your area well, there are no stumps or rocks, and make sure the person up front is safe.  Once the boat rises, trim up and your on your way.  This has worked for me many times in some giant shallow flats without risking damage.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

FD

Excellent tip G!

With the water so low on the Kissimmee Chain right now I use the arc trick several times a day.  It seems to work better with a arc to the right, at least on my big boat.
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

big g

Quote from: FD on February 28, 2022, 03:31:10 PM
Excellent tip G!

With the water so low on the Kissimmee Chain right now I use the arc trick several times a day.  It seems to work better with a arc to the right, at least on my big boat.

Good point FD!  It Probably works better to the right because your sitting on the right, so the left side lifts easier when fishing alone, or when your partner is sitting on the deck up front.  It has worked for me in some real shallow conditions while keeping the lower unit safe.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

topdsm0138

Good deal Big G.

To add saftey for us tiller guys, we have one advantage in shallow waters that bigger boats w/power tilt n trim don't have.

When in shallow or unfamiliar waters, I flip the tilt switch up (just don't throw it in reverse while up..) that way if the skeg hits bottom or say a log or something, the motor kicks up instead of coming to a screeching halt.

It's already saved my hide a few times on Lake O and Loxahatchee.

Sent from undisclosed location

"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont

Mike Cork

Great tip Big G  ~c~ We call it the "Louisiana Lift". Much of our water is no deeper than three feet. So getting on plane can be an effort in plowing a new ditch first. However, a turn to the right allows the nose to fall over and the ass end to lift and pop right up on plane.

A couple things though. If you have your boat propped for the MAX speed, you can't maintain the bite when straightening back out. In the initial push all is good but when you straighten the wheel back up the prop cavitates very easily and you fall off pad. Back to the beginning.

As G said, make sure the area is clear. Hitting something in a turn is much more dangerous than hitting something straight on. Both are dangerous but straight on, you're likely to stay in the boat. In a Louisiana Lift, you're likely to get thrown out the side.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

big g

Quote from: Mike Cork on March 01, 2022, 09:37:13 AM
Great tip Big G  ~c~ We call it the "Louisiana Lift". Much of our water is no deeper than three feet. So getting on plane can be an effort in plowing a new ditch first. However, a turn to the right allows the nose to fall over and the ass end to lift and pop right up on plane.

A couple things though. If you have your boat propped for the MAX speed, you can't maintain the bite when straightening back out. In the initial push all is good but when you straighten the wheel back up the prop cavitates very easily and you fall off pad. Back to the beginning.

As G said, make sure the area is clear. Hitting something in a turn is much more dangerous than hitting something straight on. Both are dangerous but straight on, you're likely to stay in the boat. In a Louisiana Lift, you're likely to get thrown out the side.

Down here we call it the Florida Flop because the front flops right over, and the back end pops right up, and out of danger.  Like you we have tons of shallow flats in the swamps!  I constantly see people down here churning up the muck trying to get up on plane.  No need for that!!!! 

You brought up a great point on hitting an object, Make Sure the kill switch is attached to the driver just in case.  We have all seen horror shows where the boat continues to circle because there was no kill switch!

Mike Cork

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Wizard

Great tip! I learned this long ago but never saw it written about for others to learn. We older anglers learned things so long ago we assume everyone knows about it.
Just an add-on: If you're on a mud flat, make sure the water is deep enough that you don't clog the water intake with mud. Burn up the motor and you're stranded.

Wizard

big g

Quote from: Wizard on March 01, 2022, 01:08:20 PM
Great tip! I learned this long ago but never saw it written about for others to learn. We older anglers learned things so long ago we assume everyone knows about it.
Just an add-on: If you're on a mud flat, make sure the water is deep enough that you don't clog the water intake with mud. Burn up the motor and you're stranded.

Wizard

Or stuck to the mud, it will hold you in place like a giant suction cup!  Been there done that once.  Strong wind blew the water out of the north side of Okeechobee.  One day OK, next day stuck in the mud.