99-120 Baitcaster

Started by Masterbasser45, August 13, 2022, 02:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Masterbasser45

What is the best most durable reel would you say in this price range?

99-Lews LFS

109- Daiwa Fuego

99- Shimano SLX or XT

Any others? I see the 13 fishing inception on sale for 99 but since it looks like they are bringing a newer model would it be hard to find parts for repair.
"Don't be a dumb Bass"

Princeton_Man

I'd say any one of the three will serve you well. I lean towards Lew's and Diawa, but have heard good things about the SLX as well.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Masterbasser45

Quote from: Princeton_Man on August 13, 2022, 03:20:28 PM
I'd say any one of the three will serve you well. I lean towards Lew's and Diawa, but have heard good things about the SLX as well.

Do you have a fuego? They weigh the same as a Curado, but I wasn't sure about the ergonomics.
"Don't be a dumb Bass"

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Masterbasser45 on August 13, 2022, 09:29:07 PM

Do you have a fuego? They weigh the same as a Curado, but I wasn't sure about the ergonomics.
I do not. My Diawa's are all Tatula CT's and SV's.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Capt. BassinLou

I have a couple of SLX's that have been with me for several years, and they have treated me great. Besides maintenance work, no mechanical issues as of yet, and these reels are put to work on a weekly basis.

Masterbasser45

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on August 14, 2022, 04:06:58 AM
I have a couple of SLX's that have been with me for several years, and they have treated me great. Besides maintenance work, no mechanical issues as of yet, and these reels are out put to work on a weekly basis.

Interesting. The standard SLX?
"Don't be a dumb Bass"

Masterbasser45

Quote from: Princeton_Man on August 13, 2022, 09:51:41 PM

I was thinking about trying both those reels. I know the SV has the diff spool, but what about the CT? Is it durable?
"Don't be a dumb Bass"

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Masterbasser45 on August 14, 2022, 09:39:00 AM
I have a couple of SLX's that have been with me for several years, and they have treated me great. Besides maintenance work, no mechanical issues as of yet, and these reels are out put to work on a weekly basis.

Interesting. The standard SLX?
Yes.

Masterbasser45

I have a couple of SLX's that have been with me for several years, and they have treated me great. Besides maintenance work, no mechanical issues as of yet, and these reels are put to work on a weekly basis.

Have you ever read the tacklewarehouse reviews? People saying the SLX didn't hold up and so on? I watched a review by tackleadviser and he gave the reel good reviews. It makes me wonder about how some of these people taken care of their equipment.
"Don't be a dumb Bass"

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Masterbasser45 on August 14, 2022, 09:51:27 AM

Have you ever read the tacklewarehouse reviews? People saying the SLX didn't hold up and so on? I watched a review by tackleadviser and he gave the reel good reviews. It makes me wonder about how some of these people taken care of their equipment.
Never have read the reviews. The reels have treated me great. I service them once a year, and they have been good.

Masterbasser45

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on August 14, 2022, 09:58:50 AM
Quote from: Masterbasser45 on August 14, 2022, 09:51:27 AM

Never have read the reviews. The reels have treated me great. I service them once a year, and they have been good.

Thanks Captain! These will be on my radar.
"Don't be a dumb Bass"

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Masterbasser45 on August 14, 2022, 09:41:18 AM
Quote from: Princeton_Man on August 13, 2022, 09:51:41 PM

I was thinking about trying both those reels. I know the SV has the diff spool, but what about the CT? Is it durable?
Absolutely, My CT's are type R. Just clean and lube. Never had any issues.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

rb-nc

I have had all three of those. In my order would be Lew's, SLX, Daiwa.
BUT I think the new Dobyn;s is the best in that price. But can't say about how long it will last, yet

apenland01

I have the Lews and SLX, both excellent for the money.  I lean to Lews for superior customer service...

loomisguy

If you can step up a bit to the CT's that would be the way to go. The SV would be my favorite but that's going to get deeper in your pocket. If your going to cast lighter weights the SV is worth it, however.
I've owned every brand mentioned and can honestly say I've never returned a Shimano or Daiwa.
Personally, I'd rather not find out about customer service. 

Mike Cork

Quote from: apenland01 on August 14, 2022, 08:20:56 PM
I have the Lews and SLX, both excellent for the money.  I lean to Lews for superior customer service...

Lews Customer Service used to be the best in the business. They have recently sold and the new company stocks no parts. If your reel isn't under warranty you are told to call one of a variety of places to get parts. Hated to see them sell.

I'm a Shimano user and I have absolutely ABUSED two SLX's and for $100 reel you can not do better. Heck I think they hold up to many $200 dollar reels.

Despite the change in Customer Service for Lews, all three companies make great products. You'll have to put each in your hand and see which feels best.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

apenland01

I wasn't aware Lews had sold, that's unfortunate!  They had amazing customer service....

Mike Cork

Yes they did, I highly recommended them just for their CS. If you need parts they didn't even question it. They would replace pieces that were in no way their responsibility but wanted to keep their customers fishing....

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

loomisguy

When Lew's was still in Springfield a lot of us fished them. You could just carry it in, and they would fix it or replace it . They also had a good tournament rewards program and gave away shirts and Hoodies.  I still have a Lew's wardrobe.
But like I said the reason people talked about how good the customer service was is because it got used.
The tackle store they had was great and thankfully some of the guys are involved at Bait Wrx.
Check them out online before you use TW.

Masterbasser45

Quote from: loomisguy on August 15, 2022, 04:56:47 AM
If you can step up a bit to the CT's that would be the way to go. The SV would be my favorite but that's going to get deeper in your pocket. If your going to cast lighter weights the SV is worth it, however.
I've owned every brand mentioned and can honestly say I've never returned a Shimano or Daiwa.
Personally, I'd rather not find out about customer service.

I have a few Shimano SLX Ive been impressed so far. I can't speak to its durability but it seems solid. I have some practically new Lews Im going to
Be getting rid of. I prefer Shimano and Ive been wanting to try a few Daiwas The CT and the SV.
"Don't be a dumb Bass"

1ReelFanatik

I haven't used any of my reels hard enough to determine durability.  I have several reels in the $230-$250 range (new) that I bought within your listed budget (some were used, others closeouts).  One $250 reel cost me $65 used in very good condition.  Personally I'd rather go that route.

Not knocking the reels you listed.  I own reels from all 3 companies.  Just not those specific models.  If you want new, then any of the 3 should serve you well.  They all get good reviews.

TNDiver

I will add that if you can, place them on the rod you will be using and see how it feels.  May help your decision as well. 
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

jwkelley51

I've had a couple of the base slx for a couple of years now. They're pretty basic looking but have never given me any trouble and still cast like new.

fishingram24

I would give the edge to the Shimano XT. Have 3 of the XT models and 1 SLX and 5 Lews LFS reels. All have been great but the SLX XT just feels smoother and cast weightless flukes with ease. Some of my Lews are nearing 10 years old and the only issue has been replacing the line pawls after 4-5 years. 
Retired and loving every minute of it!