An old tin boat tip

Started by Wizard, April 09, 2021, 10:56:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wizard

I learned to do this on my tin boat in the early 1970s. Tin boats can get a leak at the worst times. Usually away from home on a trip you've dreamed of for months. Sometimes a leak will appear in an area you can't reach or don't have tools to work on it. As you fish and move on the water the level stats to rise. Head to shore, pull the boat on land and remove the drain plug from the outside of the boat.  Replace it on the inside and tighten the plug. When you're on the lake, open the throttle and have your buddy remove the drain plug. The suction at the boat's rear will drain the water from the boat. Make sure you replace the plug from the inside while the boat is at speed. Repeat as needed. This tip could save your fishing day or trip. ( the vintage tin boats did not have bilge pumps and a few today still lack them)

Wizard

D.W. Verts

Yeah Wiz, I keep my drain plug on the inside always.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Princeton_Man

Quote from: D.W. Verts on April 10, 2021, 06:49:04 AM
Yeah Wiz, I keep my drain plug on the inside always.

Dale
I always have too.

There's been quite a few glass boats that were launched without the plug in, that were saved by running. I remember one guy who ran to get the water out, then had his son dive in to put the plug in. Having a working bilge pump helps to limit the drama.

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Donald Garner

Mine is mounted on the inside also.  I tried once to mount it on the outside just to see if it would fit and it doesn't. 
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Bassinkorea

2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Oldfart9999

I always put a bilge pump in the boat if it didn't have one, easy peasy.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.