Newbie from Lake of the Ozarks

Started by Lineman305, April 02, 2022, 12:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lineman305

Hello from Missouri.  Just really started fishing heavy couple of years ago,  which now has lead into purchasing a new boat over the winter.  Wanting to venture out and fish different lakes in the midwest try to get better at bass fishing so when i retire in a few years can fish tournaments in different areas.  Looking for help on the rod and reel side of fishing.  I have BassX and Bass Pro Carbon lite rods and mix bag of baitcasting reels (just got off zebcos a year ago lol still learning the tricks of baitcasters )  Mostly fishing crankbaits, T-rig worm, football jig, senko, spinners trying to hone in on these baits to get comfortable on what to do then branch out.   Any advice be helpful and appreciated  Thank you.

Smallie_Stalker

Hey Lineman305, Welcome to the Ultimate Bass family! Pleasure to have you with us. Pull up a chair and make yourself right at home.

Congrats on the new boat purchase!

Real quick before I get to your questions I want to let you know we have a contest for new members like yourself to try and win some baits from one of our sponsors. If you are interested you can enter here:
New Member's Contest.

For crankbaits (my bread and butter lures) you want a rod with a softer or slower action like moderate or moderate-fast. Among other things this will help to keep the fish pinned while you are fighting them. Reels for cranking - if you can only have one then something with a gear ratio in the 6.1 or 7.1 range is best. The general rule is the deeper you are fishing the cranks the lower the gear ratio to give you the torque to fight a hard pulling plug. By choosing a 6.1 or 7.1 gear ratio you are making a good compromise in power while still having the speed to fish a square bill up shallow

For a T-rigs I would say 7' or longer rod, medium heavy power with a fast action and a high speed reel. This can do multiple duties actually while giving you the control and speed to get a fish out of heavier cover without it wrapping you up.

If you are looking for brand recommendations you are going to get a lot of different opinions.

Personally I prefer Dobyns Rods because they have technique specific models in price points from $80 to $550.

For reels I'm primarily a Daiwa guy, but I have several other brands including Lew's, BPS and Abu Garcia and they are all decent reels.

I hope this helps a little. If you have questions about specific brands or models of rods or reels for certain techniques ask away. Best to put those questions in either the Rods, Reels And Fishing Line board or in Dock Talk . You will get a lot more responses that way

We're looking forward to seeing you around the boards and to learning from what you share with us.

In the meantime, if you need any help with anything at all please don't hesitate to contact me or any other staff member.

Once again, Welcome!

><> Smallie_Stalker  <><

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro  using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

D.W. Verts

Lake of the Ozarks, huh? I've heard of it... Welcome, sir.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Donald Garner

Lineman305
Welcome to the UltimateBass Family we're glad you're here.

Good luck with getting your equipment up graded.  I'm in the process of up grading my stuff to Dobyns's Fury Series Rods.  My reels of choice are Abu Garcia baitcasters.  I've been fishing that brand since 1974.

If you live near Lake of the Ozarks, you need to get in touch with Mr. D.W. Verts.  He is the man that has a wealth of knowledge about bass fishing etc.  He will not steer you wrong.   
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Wizard

Welcome! Lake of the What?
Dale Verts is an active angler on LOZ and has great knowledge of LOZ and Truman. I have fished the lake since 1953. Between Dale and I, you have plenty of fishing knowledge of area lakes.
As for rods and reels, it is much harder to find poor equipment than good. The top rods are from custom builders.

Wizard

Princeton_Man

Welcome aboard! We're full of advice and love to help you feed the Bait Monkey! lo
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

FD

Welcome Lineman. .  Fortunately for you between Dale and Wiz there is about 150 years 🤣 of experience fishing LOZ.

What you will soon find out about this site, our members are willing to share nearly everything they know about fishing with people who are serious about learning and actively participate here.  Get ready to earn your PhD in Misery fishing.😉
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

mygreenihc

Welcome Lineman,  you came to the right place.

Brad