More Jig Tying! Not Hair!

Started by bigjim5589, August 24, 2019, 07:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjim5589

I know everyone is getting tired of seeing my hair jigs!  lo

So, been tying marabou jigs instead!  ;D

Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

bigjim5589

Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

bigjim5589

bigjim5589

The jigs are all large, for bass. They're tied on 1/8, 3/16, or 1/4 oz heads, and some are molded on Mustad Ultra Point hooks and some are on Gamakatsu light wire hooks.

They're in the 3 1/2" to 4" length range.  ~gf

Oldfart9999

Somebodies getting ready for fall!!! lo Very nice work Jim!!! ~c~ ~c~ ~c~
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

bigjim5589

Thank you Rodney! Very much appreciate the remarks!  ;D

Smallie_Stalker

I never get tired of seeing your work. I miss being able to fish small jigs like this.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Bassinkorea

Marabou has great action in the water. Nice wotk asa always JIm.

Keep on posting your handy work, I never tire of seeing your work!   ~c~ ~c~
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

SteveTX

I dont fish these type of jigs but they are nice to look at. Great job.  ~c~

Oldfart9999

Quote from: SteveTX on August 25, 2019, 11:55:06 PM
I dont fish these type of jigs but they are nice to look at. Great job.  ~c~
Steve, you should try them, there's times when they out fish regular jigs, or anything else for that matter.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

SteveTX

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on August 26, 2019, 10:44:04 AM
Steve, you should try them, there's times when they out fish regular jigs, or anything else for that matter.
Rodney
I actually have a couple but have yet to try one. Mine are 1/4 oz and a tad small. I just feel the lack of size may hurt performance in my dirty water. Harder for the fish to find maybe. Oh it's probably just in my head. Ill try one one day. I keep them in my jig box I carry just waiting on the train wreck day Im willing to try anything.  lo

fishballer06

These look killer! I bet they'd be great up on Erie for some big footballs this fall.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

bigjim5589

I think to take advantage of the movement of any of these jigs, hair or marabou, the water has to have some clarity. I've noticed that they're more popular in northern areas. I've used them both in various waters, and even tidal, but they're not what most folks who fish the same waters will use.

It always made me wonder however, why an angler would fish a marabou jig for Crappies, but not a marabou or hair jig in the same waters for bass.  :-\

I saw a show on TV where they talked with some of the guys who fished the Bassmaster tournaments when they first started, and one fellow said that the first time they saw a marabou jig, they thought it was a joke, and wouldn't catch bass. He also said, they found out that wasn't true!  lo

fishballer06, I have a friend who fishes them up there in Erie and does well with them. Also know some fellows who are using them fishing in the 1000 Islands area of NY.  ;) 

Smaller versions are now popular for the folks chasing Steelhead in rivers & streams that flow into Erie! They use them in western rivers too for Steelhead, and I know of some folks using them for SM bass in rivers that have traditionally been Steelhead and Salmon waters. They're very versatile!  :)

I very much appreciate the comments guys! Thank you!