Evergreen SS Frog

Started by Capt. BassinLou, July 13, 2021, 04:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: coldfront on July 18, 2021, 05:19:36 AM
Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on July 17, 2021, 11:58:14 AM
I also missed this. The Evergreen has a small drain hole right underneath the furry tail.

ooftah, Lou.  can't tell:  is it a boy or a girl?
don't overlook the guage of the hooks.  yes they're set narrower.  but the wire also looks a little lighter guage.  for all the bass guys who are 'certain that no one swings harder':  might be curious as to potential hook flex?  then again, a smaller hook with less radius should help with that.
got a few of these headed my way.  was out yesterday and saw some of the first 'cheese' setting up.  it was still green, but the bubbles were there...

lo  @ is it a boy or a girl....  lo

Good point on the hook gauge. I'm debating where to break in this frog this week. I really want to put this frog through its paces, and the only way to do that is too be around bass that are willing to play. Hard to find lately.  :(

pantera61

Evergreen Kicker Frog best on the market BAR NONE!!!
I've thrown many frogs, starting with Bill Plummer's Super Frog and the Snag Proof Frog all the way up to River2Sea and Spro.  I lost what would have been my personal best, at the time, on a frog.
What puts the Kicker Frog on top?  A single, sharp hook as opposed to the double hooks on most all other frogs.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: pantera61 on July 18, 2021, 09:34:16 AM
I've thrown many frogs, starting with Bill Plummer's Super Frog and the Snag Proof Frog all the way up to River2Sea and Spro.  I lost what would have been my personal best, at the time, on a frog.
What puts the Kicker Frog on top?  A single, sharp hook as opposed to the double hooks on most all other frogs.
Oh man, thank you for sharing this information. You don't see many single hook HB frog alternatives.

Capt. BassinLou

Pantera, where do you purchase your Kicker frogs? You can PM me if you don't want to announce it on a public forum.

coldfront

Bassinkorea

I was using those Evergreen frogs last summer and the walking action comes super easy. As it happens, I just posted a video a few hours ago on YT from last summer using one of these frogs.

2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Bassinkorea on July 18, 2021, 05:21:17 PM

I was using those Evergreen frogs last summer and the walking action comes super easy. As it happens, I just posted a video a few hours ago on YT from last summer using one of these frogs.

Cool video BK!! Sorry you lost that big one, been there done that, my fair share of times.  :(

Question for you since you fish the Kicker Frog. After reading the article ColdFront provided, the durability factor received very low marks. Can you confirm this?

In my neck of the world, when the frog bite is ON!! It's ON!! I can see how the single hook design is superior, but if the frog cannot endure one outing before tearing apart, then I will have to re-think eventually purchasing one, based on its price and cost of shipping. I don't see the worth.

Bassinkorea

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on July 19, 2021, 06:07:53 AM
Question for you since you fish the Kicker Frog. After reading the article ColdFront provided, the durability factor received very low marks. Can you confirm this?

In my neck of the world, when the frog bite is ON!! It's ON!! I can see how the single hook design is superior, but if the frog cannot endure one outing before tearing apart, then I will have to re-think eventually purchasing one, based on its price and cost of shipping. I don't see the worth.

As I remember, it has been one year since I last caught a bass on a frog, but I believe it held up quite well. I don't think I wore one out, but I did rotate through multiple different frogs regularly throughout last year.
Having said that, these Evergreen fogs are very soft, so I could see them wearing out quicker than most other brands.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Bassinkorea on July 19, 2021, 06:14:35 AM
Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on July 19, 2021, 06:07:53 AM

As I remember, it has been one year since I last caught a bass on a frog, but I believe it held up quite well. I don't think I wore one out, but I did rotate through multiple different frogs regularly throughout last year.
Having said that, these Evergreen fogs are very soft, so I could see them wearing out quicker than most other brands.

Appreciate your response Steve. Something to seriously consider down the road. Maybe one of our domestic brand makers will release a single hook HB frog variant. I know of one other single hook HB design, and it's a single hook pivot design, the brand name slips my mind. I had used it for a little while, but something happened to it, and I retired it.

coldfront

Quote from: Bassinkorea on July 18, 2021, 05:21:17 PM
walking easy...  but did you see any positives around hits and hook ups?  better in open water?  (do you have mats to play with there?)

Bassinkorea

Quote from: coldfront on July 19, 2021, 07:19:48 AM
walking easy...  but did you see any positives around hits and hook ups?  better in open water?  (do you have mats to play with there?)

Like I said, it has been a while since I fished with one of these frogs, but I do recall the hook-up percentage was good, in that I landed the vast majority of bass that hit it.
There are some good mats on the river local to where I live, but unfortunately my boat is park up on a lake that has ZERO mats at all, so my frogs don't get much play time these days.

Bud Kennedy

Well Capt Lou, it seems to me the only way you are really gonna know for sure is to actually try one yourself.  Go For It  !  !  !

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on July 19, 2021, 07:48:48 AM
Well Capt Lou, it seems to me the only way you are really gonna know for sure is to actually try one yourself.  Go For It  !  !  !

Nope!!  lo lo I have fished many hollow body frogs to know that there is a 98.5% chance that this particular frog will not survive one active frog bite outing with me. If you told me the frog costs $ 8-9 dollars. Sold!! I will check them out. But close to $20 not including shipping?!? I love frog fishing just like the next angler, but not at those price points.

Capt. BassinLou

Evergreen SS Frog is tied on and anxiously awaiting its debut in the Everglades.

BassmanRudy

Go go go go go go go!!!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: BassmanRudy on July 22, 2021, 11:47:49 AM
Go go go go go go go!!!

I know... I know... I know.....  ~roflmao tomorrow can't get here fast enough.

Capt. BassinLou

Got throw the Evergreen HB frog for a bit, caught a decent bass, and captured it on film. Unfortunately however, I inadvertently deleted the clip. :(

On the water impressions, the Evergreen SS casts very well, and walks pretty easily. The tail breathes once it touches the water, which is pretty cool to watch.

Unfortunately I only stuck that one bass, but the hooks did find their mark and stuck the bass well on the roof of its mouth.

I will have to make it up to you guys and dedicate a video just on this frog. ;)

Bassinkorea

BassmanRudy

There ya go!! Birthday bass!!

"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com