What Lures Do You No Longer Throw?

Started by Smallie_Stalker, April 02, 2022, 01:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smallie_Stalker

Looking through some old tackle I came across my box of toads. The soft plastic frog type baits.

I realized I used to fish these baits a lot but haven't thrown them in maybe 5 years give or take.

A buzzbait is one of my favorite lures to throw but they're not optimal in moderate to heavy vegetation so I would often throw the "buzz frog" as I called them in these situations.

I can't for the life of me figure out why I stopped throwing these very productive lures.

I'll bet some of you can stir my memory about some others I've forgotten.

So, is there a lure or lures you used to throw regularly that you no longer toss? And if so, why?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro  using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

big g

This is an interesting topic because I am a perfect example of a guy who fishes totally different from when I started in the boat.  40 years ago I would throw Rapala #11, and #9 floating jerk baits, and Smithwick Devil Horse 90% of the time.  These are great baits but I fished with a bunch of old timers that caught a lot more with plastics.  I went to work learning what I could about fishing them.  I started with Charlie Worms, tubes, grubs, sluggos, which allowed a more constant bite as the sun came up high, and allowed me to fish weedy areas.  The last ten years its been Flukes, and stickbaits getting the job done most of the time.  Learning to walk these baits on the bottom has made a big difference in catch rates. 
I still love the old stuff, but the plastics have been a game changer.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

FlatsNBay

Great topic. Tons of lures for me such as Rapala 11G, Sluggo, Mann's Jelly Worm, Gator Tail Worm, and a black grape worm with a powder blue tail which was a Florida Everglades classic back in the day.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Donald Garner

Buzzbaits, Flukes, Sluggo,  Like most everyone else "That New Bait" came out and I just switched over.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard