Treble Hooks: Replacing them with inline single hooks.

Started by j102, November 14, 2016, 08:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j102

I was at Bass Pro yesterday and saw a couple of Rapalas with inline single hooks instead of treble hooks. I bought some to try.
Would you replace the treble hooks on your baits with inline single hooks?
I like the idea, as long as it doesn't change the way the lure works.

Mike Cork

I've played with this some and it didn't seem to help weedless capabilities. A bait designed with them might be different. On the baits I tried it did change the action some.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Oldfart9999

I thought about it for a while but figured if the trebles caught weeds so would the bill, look at the bill and the line tie. I could be wrong and would like to hear form someone that does change to single hooks.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

flowerjohn

I have switched over my swimbaits and tried singles on only the trailer end of some of my cranks and floating hardbaits. My motivation here is to avoid nasty treble hookups on fish which can take some time to extract and become a bloody mess in no time especially when the bait is inhaled. I haven't really seen any decline in landed fish and the single hook pops out quickly and more easily. I just think that if I am going to catch and release it's more humane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j102

I am sure it will not be weedless. I am looking to make it easier on my fingers and the fish like FlowerJohn mentioned.

j102

I bought the two Rapalas with the inline hooks, and replaced the treble hooks on the Spook Jr with 2/0 VMC inline hooks.
These should work fine for both as they are Saltwater baits. For Bass fishing I think I would go with the 1/0 size.