Tied some Swims this weekend.

Started by rockchalk06, January 10, 2017, 07:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

Dang...  :o You had some time on your hands..  lo BTW... I will be throwing your handy work on Lake Okeechobee this weekend. The pics don't give these jigs justice. They look REALLY good. Thanks again brother!!

rockchalk06

Quote from: Bassinlou on January 11, 2017, 03:16:10 PM
Dang...  :o You had some time on your hands..  lo BTW... I will be throwing your handy work on Lake Okeechobee this weekend. The pics don't give these jigs justice. They look REALLY good. Thanks again brother!!

Thank you sir. I'm interested to see how they fair

rockchalk06

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on January 10, 2017, 06:18:18 PM
Dittos, touch with a drop of fly tying cement or hard as nails and you're done.
Rock, put the weed guards in after you tie, pick up the teflon base pins from Jann's, they pull out easily and they're ready for reuse, they're cheap and make life easy.
Nice looking jigs there! ~c~ ~c~
Rodney

Thanks Rodney.

I'll make my next order (if Mike will) with no weed guard and give them a shot. I'm still new at this and never thought about doing that lo

Oldfart9999

Quote from: rockchalk06 on January 11, 2017, 06:47:04 PM

Thanks Rodney.

I'll make my next order (if Mike will) with no weed guard and give them a shot. I'm still new at this and never thought about doing that lo
I thought you were pouring, just ask to have the weedguards put in a bag and you'll install them. I use Locktite Gel Super Glue, just a drop, make sure the holes are clean.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

rockchalk06

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on January 12, 2017, 05:57:42 AM
I thought you were pouring, just ask to have the weedguards put in a bag and you'll install them. I use Locktite Gel Super Glue, just a drop, make sure the holes are clean.
Rodney

I thought about that, but remember by days of cowboy action shooting and USPSA and making bullets. I really don't want to worry about that and then painting. I'll let Mike do that and pay him lo lo lo

Thanks for the info. I've got plenty of Locktite Gel on hand too.

bigjim5589

I mold most of mine with the inserts. Found out about the teflon inserts from a post here. I think it may have been Rodney that mentioned it. Makes tying a lot easier, and I epoxy the weed guards in place.  ;D

Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

TheLastRodBender

Oldfart9999

Rock, it looks like you use 60 or so strands for a swim, wouldn't somewhere between 30 and 40 be better? Just asking, not slamming.
Rodney

rockchalk06

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on January 15, 2017, 09:00:19 AM
Rock, it looks like you use 60 or so strands for a swim, wouldn't somewhere between 30 and 40 be better? Just asking, not slamming.
Rodney

I'm running 65 total. I don't know if it would be better or not honestly? I know when Chris tied for North Star, he would do 66 on his flip n swim models. Which is essentially what this Jig is. I remove one strand as I hate even numbers lo

I can always try I guess. The way I use them, I like a thicker skirt though.

Oldfart9999

I was curious, I tie about 40 strands for my swims. There are always more than one answers to a design that will work. Thanks for the answer, I might have to tie a few to check them out!
Rodney

rockchalk06

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on January 20, 2017, 06:09:03 AM
I was curious, I tie about 40 strands for my swims. There are always more than one answers to a design that will work. Thanks for the answer, I might have to tie a few to check them out!
Rodney

Let me know if you see a difference if you would. I'm still learning lo

bigjim5589

I don't usually worry about the count, just make them how it looks best to me. I'll make some with a fuller skirt than others and feel it doesn't hurt to have more or less strands sometimes.

Variety gives you more options!  :)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.