Spinnerbait blade question.

Started by Johntom2k, February 15, 2018, 01:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johntom2k

I am looking to get different color blades to make some unique blade combos. I am not a big fan of the price of brass/gold ones tho. Would be it be better to take be extra silver ones I got and paint gold with some flakes in it and let them dry????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A bad day of fishing is a better day at work.

Lipripper

I know everyone uses nail polish to paint their weights so it might work on blades also. It couldn't hurt to try it.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Johntom2k

Quote from: Lipripper on February 15, 2018, 02:19:56 PM
I know everyone uses nail polish to paint their weights so it might work on blades also. It couldn't hurt to try it.

I will try it. Thank you so much!

bigjim5589

I've always bought them already whatever color I wanted, but never used a lot of different colors anyway.

Nail polish as Lip said might be your best option, as it's made in many, many colors & with glitters & such in it. You can buy it fairly cheap too if you stay away from the name brands.

Spray can paint would be the next option, but on aluminum it might have to be an "etching" type paint to last for very long. I've spray painted aluminum in the past with regular enamels & it eventually peeled off. Of course on a lure, you may lost it before that happens.  lo

I powder coat various jigs & spoons, and have done a few spinner blades, but have not tried buzzbait blades. I could see it working well for a nice coating, but not sure how much weight it might add to the blade or whether it might affect how it turns. Maybe I'll try it & see.  :-*

Post some pics of your completed buzzbaits so we can see what you come up with! Please!  ;D
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Johntom2k

I will for sure. I done made a double Colorado blade silver and a double willow blade silver. Thanks everyone for the help!!!

Oldfart9999

Have you checked Jann's or Barlows or Lure Parts Online? The offer different styles and colors of blades at decent prices.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Johntom2k

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on February 16, 2018, 06:47:25 AM
Have you checked Jann's or Barlows or Lure Parts Online? The offer different styles and colors of blades at decent prices.
Rodney
Yes I have and they are kind of pricey.  I did order two of the 25 pack mix blades from Jenn's last night.

SFL BassHunter

I saw they have plastic blades that are clear and meant for you to paint. Never used plastic blades though...
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

bigjim5589

I have some plastic blades too. Bought a bunch of blades from a fellow who had stopped making lures some years ago and in the bunch was some plastic Colorado style blades. Have not used them much, but except for a different flash, since they'e either opaque colors or transparent, they seem to spin fine and  create some vibrations. They also have a different sound when they hit the wire or anything else than the metal blades have. Hard to say what that does, positive or negative, but they do also make the spinnerbaits a little lighter weight and start to spin easier than metal blades.

I've used the plastic buzzbait blades too, and caught fish using them, but can't say what any difference might be between them & the metal blades as far as attracting fish to the lure.

Probably one of those confidence things & how much they're used.  ;)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Johntom2k

here are the first ones I made ever!

Oldfart9999

Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

bigjim5589

Yes, they do look like they'll catch some fish!  ~gf   ~c~