Cutting Braid?

Started by dshel61, July 16, 2018, 03:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dshel61

What do you guys use to cut your braid while on the water? My old nail clippers ain't cutting it.

https://www.boomerangtool.com/collections/snips-fishing-line-cutters/products/the-snip-basic

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: dshel61 on July 16, 2018, 03:32:21 PM
What do you guys use to cut your braid while on the water? My old nail clippers ain't cutting it.

https://www.boomerangtool.com/collections/snips-fishing-line-cutters/products/the-snip-basic

Pitbull cutters

Best tool for cutting braid. Period.

Jared LeBlue

Pitbull braided fishing line cutters. Once you use these you won't use anything else.
Ardent Prostaff

Bud Kennedy

Absolutely the best.  Buy two you won't regret it. 

SteveTX

Bud got me two pr of the Pitbull cutters for Christmas. Awesome gift no doubt. I use one of them a lot but it has started not to cut clean every time. Most of the time the second clip will cut it but this can be annoying. I still have the second pr I put away for a backup  :)  I may have to them get out soon. I really like these when they work every time they are great. No way to cut yourself. But them having a serrated edge doesn't allow you to sharpen them.  :(

I also use a razor knife as blades are cheap and it cuts very well too.  I have one from Home Depot that I got as a gift several years ago. Be careful though these razors will mess you up.

Either of the two will get the job done.

Fun4me

Pocket knife, or the serrated cutter on the Rapala hemostat pliers.

Princeton_Man

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Smallie_Stalker

Pitbull Cutters X 3.

Still on sale from site sponsor Monster Fishing Tackle for $12.99!!!  :-*

https://www.outdoorproshop.com/Pitbull-Tackle-Cutter-p/pbt-cutter.htm

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Princeton_Man

I was a big fan of the Boomerang Tool braid snips until I received a pair of Pittbull cutters from my Secret Santa Christmas before last. I bought 4 more pair when Monster first put them on sale. Just in case they ever stop making them. ;D

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Pferox

I have a pair of Pitbulls and love them, before that I used a set of Hemostats that had a cutting edge on them also.  They were nice and were resharpen-able. 

I got half a dozen of those from a salt water shop and they were big enough to allow you to have an area for snipping mono, flouro, and an area you could designate just for braids, which helps keep the edge sharper.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

dshel61

Why don't you guys tell me what you really think of the Pitbull cutters. It looks like you rank them as a must have for my tackle bag.

Thanks

Princeton_Man

Quote from: dshel61 on July 16, 2018, 06:39:29 PM
Why don't you guys tell me what you really think of the Pitbull cutters. It looks like you rank them as a must have for my tackle bag.

Thanks
~roflmao
It's very rare when any tool or product lives up to it's claims 110%. Pittbulls do.  ~c~

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Pferox

Quote from: dshel61 on July 16, 2018, 06:39:29 PM

Thanks

Best thing I can suggest is to make them for braid only, get other cutters for mono and flouro lines, those are tough on a fine cutting edge which is what is needed with braid.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

dshel61

Sandman7925

I'm the type that keeps a very sharp pocket knife on me all day every day. So that's what I use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hubcap91

I have a pair of Bubba Blade pliers that have a good braid cutter built in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

dshel61

I just ordered my Pitbull cutters from eBay. $12.99 with free shipping. If I ordered from the actual vendor website they would have charged me $6.00 shipping.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: dshel61 on July 17, 2018, 09:24:41 AM
I just ordered my Pitbull cutters from eBay. $12.99 with free shipping. If I ordered from the actual vendor website they would have charged me $6.00 shipping.
I hope that some day I'll understand how that works for vendors. Those are exclusive to Monster/Outdoor Pro Shop as far as I know. I experienced the same thing with a non fishing related order I had to make the other day. It was a special item made and sold by OWC. Buying it through would have incurred shipping charges. Buying it from them through Amazon, the shipping was free. :-\ They have to be loosing money on transactions like that.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: dshel61 on July 17, 2018, 09:24:41 AM

~c~ Enjoy them!!

DonM

I have some Pitbulls and they are great.  But I really prefer my Boomerang because it is attached to my belt and always ready for use. 
DonM

Bud Kennedy

Don, I attached a cord reel to my pit bulls and do the same thing.  FYI  The cord reel I am using came from an old boomerang.

Smallie_Stalker

I did a similar thing to what Bud did but I used one of those coiled key ring cords that attach to a belt loop. I upgraded the split rings on it and put a heavy duty metal fastener on the belt loop end.

I have a couple of old sheaths for pliers that have both a slot to slide a belt through and a clip in case you are wearing pants without a belt/loops. So I can wear jeans or sweats and still have my Pitbulls at hand and there is no way they are falling in the lake.   ~sun
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Smalls

I just use the Rapala scissors. I usually get more than  a season out of em before they dull. But at $3.50, who cares. I'm pretty sure my daughter has a few pairs in her desk at school that won't cut braid anymore, but they'll cut her art project!

FlatsNBay

I plan on trying the Pitbull cutters the next time that I place an order at Monster even though I've had zero complaints about my current cutters. I use the Cuda braid cutters and they cut braid like butter even with no tension on the line. Ive had them over a year and they still fly right through braid. Bought them for $2 on sale. I always have a bunch of kids scissors in my boat and tackle bags and they work great as well. Just an alternative for you if you didn't want to go the Pitbull route.

coldfront

Quote from: dshel61 on July 16, 2018, 03:32:21 PM

it might be fair to say 'opinions vary', but you'd not know it from here.

regardless of WHICH tool  you use, cutting with the line UNDER TENSION (I often have the tag end between my teeth, hold the bait in the other hand, and my wal-mart Rapala scissors does just fine)

only call out:  as you get older, and eye-sight gets a little more blurry, make sure  you're cutting the TAG end of the knot.

lo