New hobby

Started by jbarbourtrim, January 24, 2019, 08:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbarbourtrim

Just started painting my own baits. Any input would be much appreciated

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

bigjim5589

I don't think you need any input! They look awesome!  ~heart   ;D
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

SteveTX

Very nice  ~c~ I like these two colors.

Bassinkorea

2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

apenland01

Very nice work!  They look great!

Captsteve

wow, those look awesome

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

jbarbourtrim

Thanks. These are just cheap 1$ baits from wal-mart. I'm just messing around with ideas until my shipment of blanks comes in

Oldfart9999

Those look very nice!!! ~c~ ~c~ ~c~
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

the_huber_show

WOW those look solid man!!!!
Fishbrain: The_Huber_Show

jfly

They look great.  Good work!

ike8120

Very Nice you did an excellent job
Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

Lipripper

They look good to me too. Very nice work. 8)

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Ddyyak

Are you planning on putting a shiny clear coat or leaving them that matte finish? I like the matte finish and a lot of guys I know either do a quick sandpaper rub or leave their crank sit in the window of their truck to dull the finish up some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbarbourtrim

Quote from: Ddyyak on January 25, 2019, 02:36:10 PM
Are you planning on putting a shiny clear coat or leaving them that matte finish? I like the matte finish and a lot of guys I know either do a quick sandpaper rub or leave their crank sit in the window of their truck to dull the finish up some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm clear coating them. I like the shiny look. It makes the colors pop. I've had a few brown and red craws that came dull before. They work fine. I think with most lures, the colors are more for the buyer and not the fish lol

coldbasser

~beer~
Worth toasting over beautiful job.
Rick
In God we trust, but evil occurred when good men do nothing

JoeB

Great job wish I had that kind of talent.

jbarbourtrim

Tha is guys. It's a lot of fun. Some turn out great some...meh. but what I dont like, I'll just repaint

jfergus7

Those look awesome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the_huber_show

Those turned out great!!!

You have a real skill here   ~c~ ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

Pacific NW Ron

Nothing wrong with those.  Any one of them should catch fish. 
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

apenland01

Except they're all the wrong colors!  Lol, couldn't help it after the color thread......

I love that red one, that would do great here.....

jbarbourtrim

Quote from: apenland01 on January 31, 2019, 02:04:25 PM
Except they're all the wrong colors!  Lol, couldn't help it after the color thread......

I love that red one, that would do great here.....
Meh...colors are over rated lol. A lot of these are just me messing around and self learning. Bright and flashy works well where I'm at. And the small mouth pattern is based on a theory of mine that I'm going to try in a few months

the_huber_show

Quote from: jbarbourtrim on January 31, 2019, 05:33:34 PM
Meh...colors are over rated lol. A lot of these are just me messing around and self learning. Bright and flashy works well where I'm at. And the small mouth pattern is based on a theory of mine that I'm going to try in a few months

Keep it up!  That hobby could just possibly turn into money with your skill

jbarbourtrim

Quote from: the_huber_show on February 01, 2019, 02:52:31 PM

Keep it up!  That hobby could just possibly turn into money with your skill
It would be cold if it did but there is a lot of people that already do it. But it's fun

still searchin

Man you have real talent there those things look real nice

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

bigjim5589

QuoteIt would be cold if it did but there is a lot of people that already do it. But it's fun

There are a lot of folks who make flies, lures and paint lures, but I feel that everyone who does has their own style, so really no two will be exactly alike. Anglers are always looking for something different.

I agree with you about colors, but the fact is people are oriented towards what we see, and that's how we decide what lures to choose. Confidence in what is chosen plays a big role, even if the fish don't care how a lure is painted, having confidence in the color makes a difference in how the lure might be fished.

It's been said that much of fishing success is mental, and I feel that applies to paint & color on lures. People care, so it matters. 

You have a talent, and IMO, if you were selling your lures, there would be a market for them.  :)

Otherwise, it's awesome having you here on UB and sharing your talent and skills! Thanks!  ~c~ ~c~ ~c~
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.