Altering a bass rod

Started by WTodd, August 04, 2019, 06:17:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WTodd

I bought a Curado heavy rod and like everything about it but the handle length; it's about 2" too long. Has anyone cut off part of a rod handle? If so any negatives associated with doing it? Any recommendations after making it shorter like gluing a plug or end on it?

TIA

A couple of things I thought about after I posted this: it's an all cork handle and as far as a plug for the end what do you think about this?

It's a plastic body bolt for vehicles that come in lots of sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smallie_Stalker

The blank is likely hollow so my question would be what are you going to screw that into?

There are saws that are made specifically for cutting rod blanks. I would send a PM to Lee Smith and get his advice. 
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

WTodd

I was thinking about plastic body bolt like the pic I posted

FD

Bring it to me and I'll fix it for you.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacia est
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

Bud Kennedy

Been thinking about this and I just don't fully understand.  What is causing you the problem that makes you think the handle is 2" too long?  What rod and model do you have?

WTodd

Thanks anyway Lee but I know EXACTLY how you'll fix it

It's a Curado CDCFP77H so it's a frog, flipping & A-rig rod.

The handle is 11 1/2" long. All of my other rods have 9 1/2" handles.  After I make a cast and switch hands it hits me in the stomach/side and when I'm retrieving whatever bait I'm using I have to hold it further away from my body than I'd like.  So I'd like to cut 2" off for comfort UNLESS it will screw up the rod (I don't see how it would but that's why I'm asking because I have to believe someone has shortened a rod handle before)

LgMouthGambler

I have 2 Hammer 7'3 rods. The 3 inches extra is in the handle end. Otherwise, if I put my Dobyns 704 next to it, from the reel seat nut to the tip they are identical in dimension. So I cut 3 inches off the butt as that was always getting caught on me while fishing. Put a but cap on them, and now they are perfect. Slap some silicone on that body clip and slide it on in. You should be ok.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

WTodd

Thanks LMG.....this is the info I was hoping for.  I need a little more info on the butt cap.  Got a pic or a link?

BarryFL

I hear they come in various sizes.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Lol.

~Barry~
~Barry~

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: WTodd on August 04, 2019, 04:04:19 PM
Thanks LMG.....this is the info I was hoping for.  I need a little more info on the butt cap.  Got a pic or a link?

I took a micrometer and measured the size of the rod diameter. Them googled the cap size, and I believe MudHole came up. Ordered them through searching.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Capt. BassinLou

I have seen and handled these fishing rods since they were altered and I wouldn't have known the difference if LMG didn't tell me ahead of time. They came out good.

FD

I was being serious Walt. I've got cork and EVA butt caps in stock.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacia est
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

WTodd

Sorry Lee I thought you were busting my nads....can you tape one under your mailbox and I'll get it Saturday?