Minda Lures-Injured Minda product review

Started by Jared, April 19, 2009, 07:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared

While at Lake Fork recently, I tied on a baby bass colored Injured Minda and decided to give it a shot. As I did not catch anything with it I did love the action and I honestly feel this bait will be a great post-spawn bait. The action somewhat resembles that of a rogue and it can be fished in a jerk-jerk-pause method which I believe could be really effective in the upcoming months. It's just not the right time of year yet for topwater action but when that time hits you can bet I will have an Injured Minda tied on. It is a great product and I have lots of confidence in it. I am proud to be sponsored by Minda Lures.
Jared Rascoe-Minda Lures Pro-Staff
Stanley Lures Jr. Field Staff

minda lures

Thanks, Jared. Try swimming it like a crankbait with your rod tip touching the surface and then stop the retrieve and twitch the tail. Have had good luck at this time of year doing this. Did you catch anyhting while at Lake Fork?

John

Jared

Quote from: minda lures on April 19, 2009, 09:21:33 PM
Thanks, Jared. Try swimming it like a crankbait with your rod tip touching the surface and then stop the retrieve and twitch the tail. Have had good luck at this time of year doing this. Did you catch anyhting while at Lake Fork?

John

I had two over 6lbs(6lbs 11oz and 6lbs 1 oz) and the others had a bunch of 4 and 5 pounders. Overall it was a good trip. Lots of bed fish were caught too. I saw your sign at Froggy D's. Almost bought some more Spearworms but I didn't have any money on me.
Jared Rascoe-Minda Lures Pro-Staff
Stanley Lures Jr. Field Staff

Lipripper

Jared thanks for the report and I've watched the video's on the Injured Minda and it looks awsome  ~c~ ~c~

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

AJ

s....l....oooo.....wwwwww    is the key!!!

iClass

Went fishing on Saline/Larto, after some trolling motor issues on the Skeeter, I got back out there with my partner in his little bass tracker. 

I used a med/heavy rod with 20lb braid.  Tying on the bait can be a challenge, after some fussing and sweating (90+ deg's) I got it tied on.  I then clipped the knot and tried again.  It gets easier after you tie it a few times.  Threw it up around and into some matted grass.  Let it sit there and just shook the pole with slack in the line.  The tail titched and if I held a little more tension on it, I could make it turn around when twitched.  Had a boil on it but no commitment doing this.  Fished it like a crankbait, best way to do so is to keep your rod tip low.  Used it as a jerk bait and added a few twitches, again making turn around.  No other takers but was on the water when it was at the hottest part of the day.  I will fish it again tomorrow, this time in some lilly pad stems/pads and do so early in the morning.  The bait has fantastic action which is limited only to the anglers imagination.  I enjoy the fact that I can impart so much of the action and utilize it in so many different applications.

Will update you on the next fishing trip and take any photos with bass caught.

minda lures

Thanks ICLASS. I am looking at a 21I '08 model. Should I jump on it for 40K? it only has a few hours on it and was a dealer demo. Well cared for also.

Buzbait88

I fished it for awhile this afternoon as well.  The water has dropped about 2.5ft the last 4 days or so and the fishing was tough, but I couldn't resist.  I didn't have alot of confidence in the spot so working the bait was kind of hard.  When I know there is fish there I think its going to be a deadly, deadly bait.  YOu can keep it in one spot and just lightly twitch it and get good resulsts I think.  Unfortunately I was searching for fish.  If I knew they were there and I fished the biat longer I know I would have caught fish on it.
THE VIBRASHOCK IS BACK!!
KaRu Lures
KaRu Facebook

Dug

I agree with everything said so far.  It's a chore to tie on the first few times, but after that it get's a lot easier and what a great looking bait in the water.  I twitched it and worked just as advertised, gave it a small jerk and looks awesome and even pulled it like a crank bait and what a great big wiggle. This is without a doubt a great BIG Bass lure.  I highly recommend it.  Now I actually ahven't caught anything on it yet, but it's only a matter of time.  This lure will catch fish eventually.   and it's a blast to play with. 

Highly recommended.  Love the colors available too. 

Dug
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

TheMiz54

The topwater bite isnt on just yet but I wanted to see if I could throw the Injured Minda and just to see its action. It took me a little while to figure out how to get my braid through the hole. Then I tried to tie it and was having all kinds of trouble. Any advice as to what knot to tie from the guys that have used it. I watched the video but i couldn't tell the knot he tied. Thanks

Mirza

Help Support Ultimate Bass become a Charter Member
TheMiz54 Fishing Journal

2010 Fishing Total
4 Largemouth (Biggest Fish 2lb 8oz)

minda lures

MIz

Try watching this link
www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-tie-a-reverse-clinch-knot-with-alton-jones-162619/
He does a good job. I only wrap it four times on braid. Has NEVER slipped!

John

-Steve-

Quote from: minda lures on May 16, 2009, 09:50:46 PM
MIz

Try watching this link
www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-tie-a-reverse-clinch-knot-with-alton-jones-162619/
He does a good job. I only wrap it four times on braid. Has NEVER slipped!

John

Thanks for the link, hadn't seen that one yet but looks like it'll work for me...Steve (worlds slowest knot tier)
\My Mind is a Library Full of Worthless Information\

iClass

I tied a San Diego knot, seemed to work fine.  I use it mostly for Fourocarbon but was perfect for this application. 

AnglerLady

As promiesed here is the injured minda review!

Well went to the Potomac Friday & Saturday, blue bird skies very hot!  ~sweat Anyway threw it over into some grass beds, this thing has fantastic action, I was very impressed with the color, the action and the all around bait. And it is the slower the better. I'd definatly recommend this bait and will definatly use it again. Unfortunatly the bass where wanting worms and nothing more. 
Love Ultimate Bass? Then why not become a charter member??

OCBassman

Here is my report on the Injured Minda.

Threw it today and the action is Great. It casts like a rocket and you just cant fish it wrong. It has quality hooks and the paint scheme is Great. The Bass however didnt coperate today.  The only drawback to me is tieing the knot its just hard to do.

AnglerLady

And the other thing about this is when it lands in the water it doesn't make a whole lot of splash.

OCBassman

Quote from: AnglerLady on May 24, 2009, 09:34:59 PM
And the other thing about this is when it lands in the water it doesn't make a whole lot of splash.

Yes Thats a Great point. For a lure its size the splash is minimal.  ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

Buzbait88

I used the Injured Minda again yesterday without a bite and it kills me because the action is so good.  My favorite way to work it so far is I'll cast it to a tree a twitch it there for awhile and then I'll hold the rod tip as high as I can and reel really slow trying to keep that tail right the surface.  Its got great action that way and puts out a pretty good wake that way.  The only thing I can think of is that they just weren't going for topwater that day, cause I'm positive this bait will catch fish.
THE VIBRASHOCK IS BACK!!
KaRu Lures
KaRu Facebook

AnglerLady

Oh definatly a bait that will catch quality fish, like you said there are days where fish want topwater and then there are times they don't. I'll be using it again tournment day on the 6th!  ~fff

minda lures

Good luck Buz and My'Lady. Keep the faith, it does catch fish, but not all the time. Try swimming it with the tip of your pole touching the surface or even below and hold on. After cranking it down, you can stop the retrieve and twitch it just like it was on top. Once again, HOLD ON!

Lipripper

I'm still trying to get that knot thing figured out before trying mine. Would hate to lose it on it's maden voage  ;D Been practicing the knot and just about got it down so hope to try it out this weekend.  ;D

Joshawa

I wanted to get my review done awhile ago but I just needed to fish it more to try and give a decent review.

When I opened the package and seen the bait I was impressed, its quite an ominous looking bait. I received the clear version for my product test and was confident that it would be a good color. I did my testing with a Abu Revo STX and 7' MH MoJo with 50lb powerpro.

Tying on the lure looks tricky but actually was quite a breeze, especially if you use a heavy braid. As for castablity  I would give it high marks because of the weight. I was able to accurately cast this guy a country mile. It made it easy to find those open patches of water when fishing in heavy cover. The action was quite impressive, unique to say the least. I tried fishing it in a number of different ways and I like the action the skirt tale gives the bait. Also the lip is a nice touch as it adds a whole new way to fish the bait. My favorite thing about the bait is the ability to fish the bait in one spot. When you find a single isolated hole you don't need to keep reeling up and recasting over the spot, you can just keep it in the strike zone and do your thing.

The construction of the lure is solid. It looks like it can be fished off rocks and in heavy cover without flinching. The hinge system seems to be very solid as well. The hooks/split rings are heavy duty and could easily pull in a wall hanger.

Sadly I did not hook up with any fish but did get a few blow-ups. One oddly enough being from a bass roughly twice the size of the lure. While I liked the bait and fully intend on putting it through its paces, I do have a few cons/suggestion type things.

The first was the size of the lure. I don't have any problem with this being a big bait, but I do feel that alternate sizes would be beneficial. My fishing partner and I both agree that a smaller size option would be a plus. Second thing is the lip (both a pro and a con for me). When fishing in thick vegetation reeling the lure quickly back to the boat can be kind of a pain when the lure dives deep into the weeds.

Also The cost of the lure is a bit steep for a topwater in these parts. We have an abundance of Northern around here that love nothing more than to take $15 with one bite (the main reason I have very few cranks/topwaters over $10) I understand that the price is competitive with most other hardbaits, but for me its just not economical.

The last thing is more of an observation, and is most likely attributed to my lack of experience with the lure. While I was fishing a particular top water hot-spot I switched off between the Minda and my frog and had no takers on the IM. The frog on the other hand was getting blown up on left and right.

Despite the few flaws I found, I think this is an awesome bait. I love the unique action and I am 100% positive I will catch fish with it. I want to thank UB for and most of all Minda Lures for giving me the opportunity to test this beast out. The IM is definitely unique and that what I love about it, I can't wait to see your next creation.

Thanks Again!

P.S. I had a chance to test out your spearworms and they are awesome, I will be picking up a couple bags this season.

-Josh

**2009 UB Fantasy Baseball Champ**

Lipripper

Good report Josh  ~c~ ~c~ Your right about them Pike hitting them top water baits up here.  :'( :'( I need to practice that knot some more and hope to test mine out this weekend.

minda lures

Great report Josh, thank you very much! I am working on a smaller one, but it will not be a stationary one due to the downsizing. Close though!

John

AnglerLady

Quote from: minda lures on May 29, 2009, 10:09:18 PM
Great report Josh, thank you very much! I am working on a smaller one, but it will not be a stationary one due to the downsizing. Close though!

John

Sweet!! The guys still don't know what to think of it, I guess because it's a big lure. I still haven't told them where I bought, sorry John but if this nice bait gets me lunker on the next FOM tournament I don't want to loose my edge.  ;)

I did show it to a buddy of my dad, and he made the suggestion of chartruse.  Our water is pretty stained in these parts.