1998 Triton TR-21 DC?

Started by OutdoorFrontiers, June 26, 2007, 07:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OutdoorFrontiers

Hi Guys,

As you know, I had to sell my FastCat this spring and for the past couple of months, I stole my son in law's boat.  While this was great in the payment department, he wants his boat back.  Besides, it was a little small and doesn't make a good video taping/guide platform, it's just too small.

So, I've been looking for a bassboat that offers the size I need and found this;

1998 Triton TR-21 Dual Console bass boat, Evinrude 225 Vindicator outboard motor.
Color: Metallic Red/W Black and Silver Hull, Matching Black Trailer, Grey Carpeting.

Electronics: Lowrance Globalnav 310 GPS on Console, and Lowrance X47 Fish Finder on Bow.

Options: Soft Ride Twin Axle Trailer, Easy Loading Load guides, Ratchet tie Downs, Aluminum Wheels, 36Volt Motor Guide 107LB hyper Drive Trolling Motor, Motor/Tilt On Steering Console, On Board 3 Bank Pro Charging System With 3 Optima Marine Batteries, Keel Guard, Power Lift 12" Jack Plate, Hot Foot Accelerator, 2 Gallon oil Reserve, 2 Live Wells, Ice Cooler, 2 Hugh Rod Lockers, Lots Of Storage Compartments, CD Player/FM-Stereo, 2 Captains Chairs, Boat Cover Included, Boat was fully serviced last Fall.

I think I can get the boat for $13,000.00 and according to NadaGuides.com, the boat should sell for somewhere between $14,600.00 and $16,800.00 so the price is right.  I've seen pictures of the boat and if they're recent, it appears the boat has been well taken care of.  The guy says he's been forced to sell the boat due to a baby on the way.

What I want to know is on the 98 TR-21's, were there any problem areas that I need to look out for?  Did they have wood in the decks or transom that might be getting soft?

As I've always run Mercury outboards, I'm not familiar with the 98 Evinrude 225 Vindicator outboard.  Is this fuel injected, carbed?  Were there any issues with this motor?  Being on a limited disability income now, the last thing I need to do is spend 13 grand and have the motor puke!

Any assistance you can give me is appreciated.

Steve
Steve Huber OutdoorFrontiersTv

BassBUFF

Sounds like a good deal Steve! I'm not sure about the Tritons in that year model but I'm sure someone will have some answers.

Jared LeBlue

If I'm not mistaken Tritons never had wood in them. I believe they have always been totally wood free.
Ardent Prostaff

AB

The Vindicator is carbed.  Very reliable, very THIRSTY, going to seem like a pig compared to the Opti you had.  I believe that the Vindicator was one of the models that they recomended you change the size of the high speed jet in the #2 carb to a larger jet and install new carb bowl drains on each carb.  As long as compression and leakdown tests comeback ok you should be good with it.

The Tr21 will take you a while to learn how to drive.  It does chinewalk pretty good, but takes rough water well and once you get enough seat time will be a great boat.  Just don't expect to run WOT on the first day.

spetro

yep....took me 6 months to figure it out.  I have nothing but praise.

scwildbill

Steve... That is one of the fastest hulls Triton ever made... Once you learn how to drive it, you'll have no problems passing newer tritons AND stratos' with Etecs!  >:D ...

In all seriousness that boat will scoot. A friend of mine still runs one and has had it since new... In fact that's what made me buy Triton!...Coming from a Fastcat it WILL be a handful! ;)
Proud Team Member of the Palmetto Posse

OutdoorFrontiers

scwildbill

Good Deal then!!.... Hope you enjoy it, they are definately nice boats. Check the trailer out carefully... My friend has had trouble with his falling apart but he ain't the biggest fan of preventative maintenance either!  ;)

Just_Old_Fisherman

Have a '98 Premier 18 with 150 Merc and really like it.  No problems other than normal wear and tear i.e. seats, pumps, ....  Boat is still solid even though it is nearly 10 years old.  As others have said, it takes some getting used to the handling.  At first WOT got exciting at times, now it is steady as can be, not sure what I am doing but I have adjusted and never see any chine walk.  Just takes a little seat time I guess.
aka: links_man2

OutdoorFrontiers

Well, wish me luck.  I'm heading to southern Wisconsin to hopefully pick up the Triton!  I hope it's everything advertised, otherwise I'll have just burned up a whole lot of gas for nothing.  But the guy sent me fresh pictures of the boat and it looks pretty sweet.

If I end up buying the boat, I'll see about posting some pictures tomorrow.    ;PHO)

Steve

scwildbill

Good Luck Steve! Have a safe trip!

spetro

imp81318

Well, you said today the pictures would be posted steve, what happened?

lo lo lo

Hope things went well for ya...

OutdoorFrontiers

Well, the boat was everything the guy advertised.  It's in exceptional shape for a 1998 model and very clean.  I ended up buying the boat and getting home last night after midnight.  The only complaint I have about the boat is that it's a 54 gallon gas tank.  Gas was priced 10 cents a gallon less near where I bought the boat over my home area, so I thought, "Let's fill er up with "cheap gas"."  The truck needed gas too, so by the time I had both tanks full, my wallet was lighter by $207.00!  The guy could have at least left SOME gas in the tank........   ~xyz

I woke up at 5:30 this morning and loaded the boat with fishing gear, was going to take some pictures to post and found the batteries to my camera were dead!  So, they're charging now and as soon as they're done, I'll shoot some and post them.

I fully intend on having the boat in the water in a short time.

Stay tuned for further developments. 

Steve

Dug

In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

imp81318

Good deal man!!! Have fun with it!

BassBUFF

Congrats Steve! Remember to post your info and pics in the Triton forum :-*!

OutdoorFrontiers

Oh yeah, that's right, I get to hang out with the Triton group now!   ~sun

If everything goes right, you should be able to see my latest toy!

I'll post all the rest of the details on the Triton group.

Steve

BassBUFF

Sweet looking rig there bud!

OutdoorFrontiers

Thanks guys!  There were times that I needed a boat and consequently, I stole my son in law's Nitro 700.  It's a nice enough boat, but way too small for my needs.  It's nice to be able to move around in a boat again.

Steve

-Shawn-

Nice ride, Loooks like she has been well taken care of.   ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

scwildbill

Dam Steve, She looks new!!... Congrats!! Definately a jump UP from the Nitro! ;)

OutdoorFrontiers

Quote from: scwildbill on July 04, 2007, 07:46:32 AM
Dam Steve, She looks new!!... Congrats!! Definately a jump UP from the Nitro! ;)

Thanks Bill,

There's a little dock rash on the starboard side, the unfortunate meeting between the boat and an unseen nail head pounded in a dock!  But I can live with that.

The Nitro was a nice enough little boat, but the emphasis has to be placed on little.  For one or two guys fishing for fun, it's all the boat many people would need.  But, when I was trying to guide two clients, it was borderline unsafe, definitely cramped and even with the 90 hp. Merc, slow!  With my gear and two clients, the best I could squeeze out of it was 39.7 mph.

I wanted to do some filming for the show, but there was so much movement with the boat too that anyone watching the show would have probably gotten seasick! 

This boat is a lot more roomy and stable. 

Steve

scwildbill

Steve Yer just too used to that Fastcat you had!!!  ;) Those have to be the most stable platform out there...I'm sure you'll have no problem guiding  with the Toon and filming should definately be easier than the Nitro but not as nice as the Fastcat!... Good luck... Oh and for the little boat rash.... I've found that Finger nail polish comes in almost every color imaginable and will match most gell coats... Just run over to Wally World and make that rash dissappear. It worked wonders for hiding rash on my red flake Ranger.... ;)

Word of caution... Do not leave the fingernail polish where your daughter can get to it and paint yer nails whilst yer nappin!  :bang ~roflmao ~roflmao

OutdoorFrontiers

Yes, I will admit that the Cat has me a little spoiled. 

Word of caution... Do not leave the fingernail polish where your daughter can get to it and paint yer nails whilst yer nappin!

Sounds like the voice of experience talking there!!!    :roll2:

Steve

Jdaddy

Hey steve, good looking boat, HOW much you want 4 it, I'll buy it from you today.... :) lo ~roflmao

OutdoorFrontiers

LOL, how about $15,000?  That's still almost two grand below blue book.

Steve