Florida Bass

Started by BIG PAPA, January 24, 2005, 07:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BIG PAPA

This is a direct quote fromBarry Smith Of American Sport fish hatchery in Alabama
"For years farm pond owners have had to choose between the lessor of two evils when it came to stocking farm ponds.Pond owners either chose the northern strain of black Bass which take a very long time to grow; or they chose Florida strain black Bass, popular for growing quickly, but become exceedingly lure shy and very tough to catch."
" We had pond owners ask us to come drain their lakes and restock them because they thought all of their Bass had died, since no one could catch any," adds.Smith. " But when electrofished these lakes we found they were loaded with big bass. The bass just would not bite."
He went on."
Often, pond owners would tell us, " I have no use for an 8-, 10- or 12 pound bass in my pond that no one can catch. I want catchable bass in my pond ~c~
I too can relate to that I know for a fact that there are at least 30 Bass in my 3/4 acre pond over 4 pounds including 6 over 7 pounds and 2 over 8 pounds but you can fish till you are blue in the face and not catch a fish most of the time, until you use live bait.

papa

Mike Cork

That is very interesting Papa thanks for sharing. I know a lot of folks have believed this but this is the first evidence I have every read in print. Thanks

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Jared LeBlue

That's pretty much the same thing that guy from South Louisiana that had the private marsh was leading to on TV. He said after the drought he stocked nothing but native large mouth because the were more aggressive and easier to catch. I just wonder where you could buy native large mouth.
Ardent Prostaff

BIG PAPA

We have a commercial hatchery right here in Blanchard, La. I am pretty sure they stock native Bass. :)

papa ~c~

Jared LeBlue

I would check on that Papa, I know all the stocking in our local lakes are done with Floridas and Booker Fowler hatchery raises nothing but Floridas. It's all about supply and demand and right now the misinformed fisherman of Louisiana believe Floridas are an awesome thing so the demand is for them. Once again I want to point out that I'm not against stocking Florida bass, I'm just against exclusively stocking them. Now they have this super bass they have bred and that's the next thing coming to a lake near you. Get ready everybody will jump on the band wagon for these too. 10 years down the road we will find some ill effects from these things, but you know as well as I do they will jump all over these new bass and stock them everywhere before they do any long term studies.
Ardent Prostaff

BIG PAPA

Yeah and the way they grow and eat sounds as if they would kill Bass fishing in a lake. The native Bass may not be able to compete for food. >:(
Alos how much fun would it be to fish in tourneys where everyone caught a limit every time :-\
papa PoPo

Mike Noble

From what I was told, the lakes are getting a much higher natural spawn of native bass than could be done with stocking.  The benefit of stocking native bass would not come close to the cost.

The quote that started this thread is in the article about the development of the gorilla and tiger bass...which will be stocked in private and farm ponds.

If we want the stocking of Florida bass to stop or slow down, the it is like the "slot" discussion.  We have to put together information and go to LDWF...they are willing to listen.  But for years, the overwhelming opinion of "fishermen" was the desire to have Florida bass stocked.
Life is a B........each!

TREATING LIFE FAIRLY - e-reader

TREATING LIFE FAIRLY - paperback

Ask me about PROTANDIM

DAVO

If that is the case, that Florida bass become lure wary I'd bet that Cross has some
big boys that were probably caught once and released when they were youngsters.

Jared LeBlue

Mike you are right. I'm not out for radical change but I would like some hard numbers and facts. I wish the WLF would look into things before they jump in with both feet. I do have a hard time believeing that the native black bass population has not decreased because of the massive amount of stocking they have done with Floridas and if they are having very successful spawns naturally then where are they. I know there are plenty on most of our rivers but that is because they haven't  intruduce a massive invasion of floridas on our rivers and the reason for that is Floridas don't do well on river systems, well at least most river systems. But I do agree that speaking out is important and getting the proper information is equally as important.
Ardent Prostaff

Mike Noble

I firmly believe that WLF is very open to meeting with us and discussing whatever we want to talk about...slots, Florida vs. native bass...whatever.  We just have to get organized and get with them.
Life is a B........each!

Ask me about PROTANDIM

Jared LeBlue

They have open forums around this area from time to time. I don't know how much you can accomplish at one of those though. Not to mention they seem too interest in bass down here, salt water species are higher priority, at least that's the way it appears. You would probably get more attention in the mid to northern regions.
Ardent Prostaff

Gabby

I don't think Cypress has Florida Bass, does it?  Of the fish we caught last time, I am pretty sure they were native.  No black marks on them, and a little thinner.  The ones I caught HAMMERED my Rat-L-Trap.  Definately thought they were bigger than they actually were.

Grand Bayou bass seem to fight a little harder too.  I am sure that has something to do with that lake being a bit over populated with smaller bass, and they are all squirells trying to find a nut.

Mike Noble

Yes, Cypress and Black Bayou have Florida Bass...stocked by BassLife.  They have stocked Cross, Caddo, Cypress, Black Bayou, Bistineau, Red River, and possibly others.
Life is a B........each!

Ask me about PROTANDIM

bass1cpr

I think the reason some of the southern states have jumped on the Florida strain band wagon is to help with the chances of catching a record breaking fish. Not so much as a numbers fish. From other articles I've read the cross breeding between Florida and native bass in lakes they have been released into does not produce the bigger bass that they hoped they would. Like any hybrid fish the suceeding generations don't keep the pure bred line. Very few carry on the florida strain pure genes.
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

Mike Noble

That was definitely the driving force for stocking Florida Bass in Louisiana.  The "majority" of fishermen wanted the opportunity to catch "trophy" bass.  That also resulted in slot limits on lakes.  Now, it is looking like some of this program is not working.  I would say that larger fish...overall...are being caught.  But we are not seeing the trophy fish that we expected...and there are WAY TOO MANY slot fish in lakes.
Life is a B........each!

Ask me about PROTANDIM

bass1cpr

Mike N we have some slot lakes here in Illinois and there are no Florida strain involved. We have seen similar problems. Catching numbers of overs has been a problem at times and it takes a long time to get changes made.
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

Jared LeBlue

Yep on paper slots look like a really good idea but when actually enforced on our lakes it has not done what it placed there to do. Minium size limits along with sensable creel limits have worked and are proven on many lakes in this country, slot limits on the other hand have not worked and have definitely not been proven to work. The only place I have ever seen a slot work is Lake Fork and there is nothing to prove that a minium size limit wouldn't have done the same if not made it even better. 
Ardent Prostaff

Jesse

Pretty sure most of the bass here are FL bass.  ;)

Mike Noble

Life is a B........each!

Ask me about PROTANDIM

Jesse

Quote from: Mike Noble on January 26, 2005, 12:51:46 PM
Good point Jesse.  :roll2:

And yeah thats why I cant catch any..they dont like my lures anymore!! *runs to fishing sections at wal mart*

BIG PAPA

I know some get tired of hearing but: I keep pretty good records of my catches.
but out of the last 150 Bass I have caught on slot lakes 102 have been slots.
Now this probably matches everyone elses rate so do not think I am crying but out of the last 6 tourney's I have fished in to include last week end, I have boated 73 fish ( had a 30 fish day on Caddo in Dec.) 58
of them have been slot fish. Now I am wondering Am I doing something wrong or is everone seeing results like this?

papa :'(

Mike Noble

I agree Papa...catching slot fish is the NORM.  I think that is why the slot needs to be addressed.
Life is a B........each!

Ask me about PROTANDIM