Fishing FL first time.

Started by JDDogs, March 27, 2023, 08:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDDogs

I am headed to fish (bass of course) in FL end of April.
Have a friend down there, who I worked with for many years, move down there some 20 yrs ago.  He's been bugging me to come down and fish with him and I finally said, what the heck and am going down.  My by line has always been that I spent most of my $$ on Huntin, Fishin, and retrievin dogs, the rest I just pretty much wasted.  :)
Looking for which baits might work down there, that time of year.   Of course we don't know what the water temps or water conditions will be, but we are going to go out and swing for the fences.
My friend says we will likely fish; Stickmarsh farm 13, Lake Harney and Lake Poisett.  Please excuse the spelling.  As a side note, is this area considered central FL?
Again, I have only been fishing here in Wa state for a few years and enjoying the challenge big time.  I am new to this and trying to learn.   
Spent most of my money on huntin, Fishin and retrievin dogs, the rest I just pretty much wasted.

Larry Francis

Personally, I would recommend 1, Chatterbait white with Gold blade and a Houdini Trailer. 2, Houdini Fluke weightless.  3, Poppin Frog white or Chartreuseand white. 4,Wacky Senco weightless in black and blue. 5, Punching rig with a 2 oz weight and a June Bug Beaver.

And a Gater for your head and face for the Hydrilla Knats. You will need this.
Molon Labe

Eric-Maine

Farm 13 is mostly open water eel grass fishing on flats 4 ' and less. If I was to bring one bait, it would be a magnum ultra vibe speed worm in Watermelon red flake 1/16 Oz bullet weight 4 or 5 ought j bend ( I like Trokar big nasty) If you want variety bring some 5 " senkos in black and blue or June bug and a some super flukes. 65 lb braid if your using a baitcaster , medium heavy rod 35lb braid on spinning medium heavy rod. There are a few stumps that a fish can wrap you around and eel grass beds to run you through but relatively easy open water landing. Very pressured so long casts and slow drifts.
You will pass Headwaters on the way to Stick. I would add a super spook ( Florida Bass).  If you go there. There is too much floating eel grass usually on Stick for topwater. But a fun way to catch giants.
Of the two, Farm 13 is easier to fish. Headwaters is more interesting and diverse imo. You get the whole Florida experience there hyacinth, hydrilla, cane islands. Giant bass live in both.

I am not familiar with the other lakes you mentioned. Have fun.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

FlatsNBay

The Stick Marsh is currently being drawn down and should be very low by the time you are here. Boating access should be difficult.

Avoid Lake Poinsett because there was a massive fish kill there after the hurricane and the bass population is almost non existent.

I'd try Headwaters Lake or Lake Garcia. Good luck!

JDDogs

Thanks, and sorry about posting this in the wrong forum.  Thanks for moving it for me. 
Spent most of my money on huntin, Fishin and retrievin dogs, the rest I just pretty much wasted.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: JDDogs on March 28, 2023, 09:18:30 AM
Thanks, and sorry about posting this in the wrong forum.  Thanks for moving it for me.
No worries! Good luck on your trip!

big g

Stick marsh and headwaters are places where the fish of a lifetime have been caught by many.  The crowds can be crazy so get there early.  If stick marsh is drawn down obstacles can be dangerous so go slow.  Lots of lower units damaged there over the years.  Good luck, looking forward to your reports.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

acesover

If they drop the Stick Marsh as much as they say they are going to. getting a bass boat in there will be almost impossible.  They are dropping it 4ft.

rchiuz

Senko (given) , Zoom Uvibe, Fluke, Top water frog, buzz frogs. I am sure everyone else will give them input. Most plastics work well since we have so much grass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What is the worst thing about being a bank fisher? Always having to watch out for dog poop LOL

acesover

Had a buddy tell me that he watched a guy try and launch his bass boat at Stick Marsh two days ago. The guy had to put it right back on the trailer as there wasn't enough water to float the boat outside of the turning basin, so that place is out till they start letting the rainwater fill it back up, probably next year sometime.

acesover

And Poinsett is real low also,,,,

FD

Right now everything in FL is low.  I beached my Triton on a bar in the marsh area of Toho yesterday.  Nathan and I had to get out and push a minute.

Where ever you fish in the next 2 months, be careful.

Sent from the very edge of civilization...where I belong

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

JDDogs

I appreciate all the input.  Thanks

JDDogs

My first fishing trip to Florida was an adventure to say the least.  We fished the
St Johns River from Lee park at bridge 46 toward Lake Harney on the first day.  To say the water was pretty skinny would be an understatement. Water was shallow enough that we never made out way into the lake. Picked up a few 1 to 2 lb large mouth in the river.  1100, the clouds are getting black and we can see lighting popping off as the storm is coming our way.  We decide its time to get off the water. We no more get the boat loaded on the trailer and it gets wet out very fast. 
Next day back to the St Johns and headed the other direction (S?) toward the Econlockatchee River.  Water was even shallower there, We were thrilled when we could find 3 - 4 ft of water.  Did not catch anything there so headed toward Harney again.  In an outside bend, almost to the lake, we found a bunch of shad breaking the surface. Here I caught my largest bass of the trip, a 4 lb. Caught on a white chatter bait with a white rage minnow. Again we were forced off the water by lightning by about 1300.
Last day we went down to Toho, at least there was some water in the lake.
fished some grass edges and picked up a few 1 - 2 lb bass.
My friend & guide was fishing a lipless crank bait and caught 1 nice bass and a 1/2 dozen Pickerel (?) they kinda look like a pike or musky.
At least this day we didn't get pushed off the water by lightning.
The trip to FL and back was a butt numbing experience, but at least I can say I fished the land of the big ones. I swung for the fences :-)
In my younger days, I spent a fair amount of time in waters where sharks were prevalent.  I was intrigued by them and took numerous photos.  But those big reptiles y'all got, give me the creeps.  When they finally have me committed, I'll have to ask my shrink, whats with that?   
Thanks again for the help and advice.

Capt. BassinLou

Thank you for your follow up report. Fortunately you guys weren't skunked. FL is a unique fishery. Some anglers make fishing down here look easy, but like any waters, it takes time to learn.

Looking forward to your future reports when you come back.

As far as gators, ~gator they are intimidating looking creatures aren't they? I'm around hundreds of them through out any given week. Best advice, respect them, be mindful of their presence, and you will be ok, 98% of the time. Those other 2%, well,,, they are wild creatures after all and they can get a little moody.  lo ;)

JDDogs

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on May 01, 2023, 09:06:28 AM
Thank you for your follow up report. Fortunately you guys weren't skunked. FL is a unique fishery. Some anglers make fishing down here look easy, but like any waters, it takes time to learn.

Looking forward to your future reports when you come back.

As far as gators, ~gator they are intimidating looking creatures aren't they? I'm around hundreds of them through out any given week. Best advice, respect them, be mindful of their presence, and you will be ok, 98% of the time. Those other 2%, well,,, they are wild creatures after all and they can get a little moody.  lo ;)
Thanks Capt.
Had a ball fishing and enjoying a good friends company, the fish were a bonus. Not sure that I will make it back to fish FL again.  It's a long trip from WA state and I ain't  getting any younger (over 70).
Every part of the country has it's challenges. Least you folks don't have to worry about hypothermia, if you fall overboard 8 months out of the year.