An old technigue I forgot about

Started by zippyduck, January 28, 2017, 01:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zippyduck

I was reading some old journals and found this old trick.
I used torpedoes alot but added a twist (a twister tail ).
I tied a 4" section of 15 lb mono onto the rear hook and add a size 2 snelled hook to put the twister tail on it.
Depending on water color it was either white or yellow. Not many other colors then. It caught about 40% of the fish on the rig.
They would hit right after I would stop the retrieve.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Lee Smith

Quote from: zippyduck on January 28, 2017, 01:53:39 AM
I tied a 4" section of 15 lb mono onto the rear hook and add a size 2 snelled hook to put the twister tail on it.
Depending on water color it was either white or yellow. Not many other colors then. It caught about 40% of the fish on the rig.

OK, I gotta see a pic, sounds like something I to look at  ;D Love my Torpedoes and if I can make them better, oh yea, like it!
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Lee Smith on January 28, 2017, 02:08:56 AM
OK, I gotta see a pic, sounds like something I to look at  ;D Love my Torpedoes and if I can make them better, oh yea, like it!
Lee, just tie a section of line to the split ring then a hook to the other end. I tried it on a couple of hard baits but the line tended to tangle the hook and I don't like giving up that rear hook.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Mike Cork

Sounds like a great idea for when they just come look at a top water  :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

zippyduck

I think it is the slight fall that triggers the bite as they follow.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Oldfart9999

Works best when you remove the rear hook so it won't tangle it, if the fish are short striking it can help.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

analfisherman

I too 'used to' throw a similar presentation......only I used Poppers, removed rear hook and replaced with Twister Tail Grub 2-3"

I just may have to try it Again and maybe give it a shot on a Spook too!

Good idea Zippy!  ~c~
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

bassinbrian

I did something like this once with a Spook ...

Fishing some major slop wanted to make it weedless.

BB

analfisherman

BB......so did you catch any fish on it?
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

bassinbrian

Quote from: analfisherman on January 30, 2017, 09:19:13 AM
BB......so did you catch any fish on it?

From what I recall , nothing notable. Didn't use it much ... because I'd rather throw my frogs.  ;)
But it was pretty darn weed proof.

BB

big g

Quote from: zippyduck on January 28, 2017, 01:53:39 AM

Years ago I did something simular with a fly tied on, it did effect the action of the back blade every once in a while.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Smallie_Stalker

I've done it with hair jigs on a dropper line from the back hook on a bunch of different topwaters. It does foul in the hook sometimes so I also tried by tying the dropper line to one of the bends in the rear treble. This affected the action of the back hook and IMO is a no-no if you use feathers on that back hook.

You do get some on that rig, and I agree with Zippy on the reason why they hit it. In the end it's a judgement call but I spent far too much time trying to "fix" things before the next cast so I stopped doing it.

Bear in mind though that I never tried it by removing the rear hook. This might change my opinion, so I will have to give this a try this season.

Thanks for the thread Zippy.  :)
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire