Adjusting the sink rate of your plastics

Started by Dug, April 17, 2007, 10:27:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dug

Is your senko sinking too fast, or too slow.  Here is a tip that may help you adjust.  You can even have it float on one end and sink on the other. 
First you will need a worm air injector, you can buy  them at most places that sell tackle for under a buck.
You will also need some lead wire.  These can be ordered on line or you can even go to a pet store and find them as Fish Tank plant weights.
Super Glue

to slow the sink rate of your plastic:  using the worm air injector, inject into either end or the middle, depending on what you want highest up in the water column.  I recommend you inject in the ends because you have more room to work.  Inject a small amount of air into the plastic and pinch it off before withdrawing the needle.  Then add a small drop of superglue to the hole you just made before releasing the plastic.  the Air is trapped inside causing the plastic to sink slower or depending on the amount of air and the density of the plastic, it might float.  Just remember that if you hook it through the bubble you just created, you will loose your bouyancy.

to speed the rate of sink.  using the air injector, creat a hole in the plastic.  now instead of pinching it off squeeze it to release any air that was trapped, then with your lead wire, insert it as far as you can into the hole created.  then withdraw it just a small amount to cut it short enough to be completely inside your bait and push it back in.  Superglue the hole to keep the lead from getting out. 

My favorite technique: on a drop shot, create air bubbles in either end of a senko type worm, and wacky rig it in the middle.

Hope this helps someone.

Dug
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Bassinkorea

Great tips Dug, I WILL be trying them.
May I just add one change  :-\  instead of using superglue, you could just use a ciggerette lighter to quickly melt and seal the ends where the air injector was.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

theskinnyde

Quote from: Bassinkorea on April 17, 2007, 06:52:16 PM
Great tips Dug, I WILL be trying them.
May I just add one change  :-\  instead of using superglue, you could just use a ciggerette lighter to quickly melt and seal the ends where the air injector was.

afree with him here, that super g;ue also has a strong scent that bass wont like