Topwater Frog Tips

Started by Unholy_Fury, January 26, 2009, 04:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unholy_Fury

These are  some tips that have helped me win a couple tournaments.

Cut a small slit into a topwater frog and insert bbs in increases the weight and gives off a subtle noise.

When fish are swiping at the frog tie a trailer hook off one of the hooks with a small grub the following bass will hit the grub( sometimes).

When the lights are on bright, its your time to shine, and show the world that you are here to play

#37 Running Back

larrylargemouth

Good Tips! I like the BB's inside the frog. ~c~

Lipripper

That's a good idea and eye love FROG fishing.  ;D One question do you put a sealer over the slit to keep the water out  ;)

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Unholy_Fury

i usually put a little drop of pvc glue or seal it with a lighter to melt the plastic.

When the lights are on bright, its your time to shine, and show the world that you are here to play

#37 Running Back

Lipripper

Was just currious cause we had a thread around here about their Frogs peeing  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Bassinkorea

I like these tips, especially the BB's in the frog  :-* ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

Thanks for sharing Unholy_Fury  ;D ;D
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

GotstaFish

You can use a glass rattle thats normaly used for inserting into soft plastics and insert it where the hooks come out without have to cut a hole  ;)
But you didn't hear it from me  ~shhh

Baron49

Quote from: GotstaFish on January 27, 2009, 12:09:22 AM
You can use a glass rattle thats normaly used for inserting into soft plastics and insert it where the hooks come out without have to cut a hole  ;)

Been adding a rattle like this to my floating frogs for years ;D  Keep it to yourself  ~shhh

brealtree99

ya but then it sinks so what i do is put old soft plastics in it all cut up

Crigger Craw

~shhh that is a trick to keep to yourself ;) ~b~

Buzbait88

and here I thought I was the only one that did that.  ~b~  lo
THE VIBRASHOCK IS BACK!!
KaRu Lures
KaRu Facebook

6lbsonthesurface

all of those tips are stupid. if its not heavy enough, wrap lead around the hook shamk. or buy a tropy series scum frog- its weighted with 1/2 oz

WES

Quote from: 6lbsonthesurface on April 27, 2009, 07:28:23 PM
all of those tips are stupid.

Well why don't you tell us how you really feel.

Bassinkorea

all of those tips are stupid. if its not heavy enough, wrap lead around the hook shamk. or buy a tropy series scum frog- its weighted with 1/2 oz

There is no such thing as a stupid tip here in the Ultimatebass.com tips forum. Please refrain from refering to other member's great posts as stupid!!

Bassinkorea,
Tips forum Moderator and UB Community Diplomat.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Bassin_Around

:{_ Holy crap!! We have been blessed by the presence of the "All Knowing Fishing God". :{_
When I see your name at the top of the list in an Elite series,maybe then I'll take YOUR advice.
There's no reason to belittle anyone's tip or opinion.  ~bu

aharley

Quote from: Buzbait88 on March 25, 2009, 09:45:05 PM
and here I thought I was the only one that did that.  ~b~  lo
Douh The cat's outa the bag now. That was my secret weapon too ;D. Dang you UltimateBass :'( :'(

cgbigbasshunter

my tip is about setting the hook. I miss a lot of fish because I set the hook to early, once I do that i will start to twitch the frog frantically, it makes the frog look like it has escaped and is making a run for it.

phred

Here are my froggy tips. I use mostly snagproof frogs so these will pertain to them. I use original snagproof frog and cut the legs off 1/4 in from the body and insert a rattle or two and a foam ear plug to help it float. As for the legs, I will use a double tail grub and pull the legs through one leg hole to the other. This add way more action than the original legs. Sometimes I'll super glue them in, but that ruins it for fixing. Just have a backup handy in case the legs get ripped off.

As for gear, I use 20lb braid heavy action rod and a fast reel. I will cast it up on the shore if I can and bring it in that way. Let it sit, wait for it, wait some more... then twitch it. The pond I use my frogs in has a crazy thick layer of matted weeds and gunk on top and I have watched a fish strike my frog 4 times and miss it because the mat was so thick, or it was far sighted lo Once you get a hit reel down slow and wait. Set the hook once you feel it. I LOVE FROG FISHIN.

Scott
Want to help returning vets? Check out the site.

www.armybassanglers.com/returningheroeshome/

bobalou

thanks for all the tips up above. just started fishing with frogs this summer & from what i'm reading i should do rather well. i must admit tho, i've had a frog in my box for years but never really put any effort into using it but thats gonna change.