Baitcaster

Started by Swimbait, March 25, 2022, 07:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swimbait

I had one years ago and never got to use it as it frustrated me and I went my merry way with my fly fishing. It was a Daiwa combo, a Capricorn 100H with a 6 foot Megaforce 601 MHRB rod. The line is still on it and my son has it stored at his house in MA. I am going up to visit this summer and will pick it up and have more time and patience now I am retired. I think I will dump the mono and put some braid on and check the gears and bearings for grease. Is it good nuff to learn on? I hope so as if I do get the hang of it I may buy another, maybe a Lews, next year. John

Princeton_Man

Sure you can, lot's of us learned on much less than that. Spool it with a heavier line, to start pull off about 30 feet of line, put a piece of painter's tape over the rest of the line (painters tape will less residue on the line). The tape will limit any overruns, the heavier line will be easier to pick out if you have an overrun.

Reel in in the rest of the line. Set the breaks on 10 and start with short casts. It's all in the thumb, back the breaks off one click at a time as you you improve and gain confidence. Once you get down to it, remove the tape.

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Swimbait

Thanks, I heard something about casting out then marking the distance with tape? Is that what you mean or is the tape for holding the arbor knot from slipping when applying new line? I remember my father using cheaper backing on his Mitchell 300 then putting on the more expensive line. I have had many years of rigging line and backing with nail knots on my "fleet" of fly rods from my old Heddon bamboo to my newer 9 foot 4 piece graphite travel rod and those in between. I prefer tying my own knotted leaders BUT not for a baitcaster! LOL! Would a fluorocarbon leader be the way to go with braid for "spooky" fish? Any help would be most appreciated! John

Princeton_Man

I believe you're talking about learning while you fish. The method I'm describing is for the beginner, learning in the backyard. The tape I'm describing is being applied to the bulk of the spooled line to prevent a massive bird nest. That reduces the frustration factor and makes pulling out the overrun much easier.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Swimbait

OK, got it. I'll try that for a bit. I like "getting my feet wet" so to speak. John

njpaulc

Don't spool up with braid.  A backlash in braid is a lot more difficult to pick out than a backlash in mono.  Buy a spool of Berkley Big Game, you'll have a lot of line, and cutting off a bird nest will not break the bank. 12 lb test would be good.

Swimbait

Thanks, and I can use mono for backing when I get good nuff? Just strip off half spool? Add braid when I learn not to birds nest! John

NavyToad

25 years ago I started out on a $59 Bass Pro combo to try to learn how to use a baitcaster. I left my spinning rods at home and only fished with the $59 special until I learned how to use a baitcaster. I was fortunate that I was told to use a left-hand baitcaster since I was used to spinning gear. It won't take long to learn to cast, and you'll be glad you made the effort.
Retired Navy.
Professional muddler.

Swimbait

Thanks, so by left hand you mean your spinning reels have the crank on the left side? All my spinning reels are that way BUT all my fly fishing reels have the crank handles on the right side. I think this Capricorn baitcaster has the crank on the right side, opposite of my spinning rods, hope that doesn't mess me up, I am a right handed person. I haven't touched that baitcaster in about 15 or 16 years as it is now 1400 miles away! John

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Swimbait on March 26, 2022, 04:13:32 PM
Thanks, so by left hand you mean your spinning reels have the crank on the left side? All my spinning reels are that way BUT all my fly fishing reels have the crank handles on the right side. I think this Capricorn baitcaster has the crank on the right side, opposite of my spinning rods, hope that doesn't mess me up, I am a right handed person. I haven't touched that baitcaster in about 15 or 16 years as it is now 1400 miles away! John

You  are correct John. Left hand baitcasters (also called left hand retrieve reels) have the reel handle (crank) on the left hand side like your spinning reels.

It really comes down to personal preference on which to use. If you are a right handed person the pros are that you don't have to switch the rod between hands after a cast or a pitch, and it allows you to control the rod and fish with your dominant (stronger) arm. And if you  are already used to having your spinning reels set up this way it lessens the learning curve with a baitcaster because you already feel comfortable casting that way.

But as I said it's  personal choice. Not to further confuse things but some people normally use a right hand retrieve baitcaster but will use a left hander when pitching or flipping so they don't have to make that hand switch if a fish hits the bait as soon as it enters the water.

I learned on right hand retrieve baitcasters but as soon as I found a left hand version I switched over completely to left hand retrieve and have never looked back.

Keep us posted on your journey into baitcast reels. I'm interested to hear what you find works best for you.  :-* ~sun ~sun

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Swimbait

Thanks, I am thinking that when I did use that baitcaster I cast with my right, strong side, and thumbed to control speed of reel with my right thumb, then switched hands fast to retrieve. I think. I am thinking if I can master it I will in the near future buy a left hand crank baitcaster same as my spinning reels. Fly reels don't matter as that is a whole different ball game. John

caddyjoe77

also, one of the key things in my mind that people make a mistake with baitcasters is the brake, which has been mentioned. 

the other thing is, smoootthhh casts.  Dont need to overpower anything.  The harder you try to throw it, the faster the centrifugal force happens and hence a lot of the reason for a birds nest. 

Another thing you might want to do is take the brakes almost all the way off and learn to educate your thumb with pitches and such. 

BeerMe

1ReelFanatik

I have almost 50 Daiwa reels, but not that model.  This is some information I found on the reel.

6.3:1 Gear Ratio
9 Ball Bearings
Free Floating Anodized Aluminum spool
Magforce Anti-Backlash
One piece aluminum frame

As already mentioned 'smooth' is paramount.  Tie on a compact lure in the 1/2-3/4 oz. range.  Start with a roll cast.  (Watch a little youtube.)  This cast helps smooth out the casting stroke.  Especially on the rod reversal as the rod tip is under constant load. But as an accomplished fly rod user (versus a spinning rod guy) your timing will probably be very good from the get-go.  No snap casting allowed.   lo

I have a Procaster 100HN.  From the little I could find on the Capricorn they are supposed to be similar.  For $70 new (I paid $30 on closeout) it is an excellent reel.  Not the lightest or smallest, but not all of us are wusses.   ~roflmao

Good luck.  I got my first low profile at 61.  It is quite the rabbit hole.  Daiwa isn't the only brand I own.  I stopped using my spinning rods.  However this year I am trying to go in the opposite direction from you.  I bought 6 fly rods over the winter and hope to get into it big time.   ;D

BTW, look at the Lew's Tournament Pro LFS.  It is supposed to be an exceptional reel.  Purchased one over the winter, and may even get to use it this summer.

Swimbait

Thanks, roll casts are second nature to me as I mastered them early on in my fly fishing learning curve 40 plus years ago. The fly casting isn't all that hard just start out with 8 foot of line out and toss it up into the air and in back of you, once you get you timing down it's second nature to add more line to get more distance. Remember to keep a tight closed loop and your rod at 12 and 9, no further back or forward and you'll do fine. I like to aim or point at the horizon when I finally cast out. Do what works for you! Tight loops and tight lines! John

Swimbait

Almost forgot, you can cast sideways with a fly rod too, not just up and down. I cast sideways a lot when under trees, so you get a sideways back cast instead of an up and down back cast. Just turn your clock sideways  and still use 12 and 9. John

TNDiver

I recommend using a heavier weight too (1/2 oz or so).  You can get casting plugs to practice or just use sinkers.  Then keep casting and as you get the hang of it lower the weight, etc.  Make sure your rod and line can handle the lighter weight.  For me the biggest issue was timing my thumb for when the lure hit the water.  I found there were times I was late.  Also, you will get birds nests, so don't get discouraged.  Everyone does, even the pros.  You will also learn not to cast into the wind or to try to avoid it!  ~roflmao

Second, if you want to start pitching/flipping, it may help to be up on a step or higher ground of some sort as well.

I have always wanted to try fly fishing and hope to start soon, but I imagine it will be similar in that you will find it is relaxing once you get the hang of it, with the rhythmic motions involved.  It is even better when doing it on a nice day out on the water! 

There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

Swimbait

Thanks, I will start out with my old-new Daiwa 100H baitcaster, may respool it with 12 or 15 pound mono to learn and it will be on a 1 piece medium heavy 6'-6" rod. I like the plug idea as sinkers can get stuck in the grass and mud. From what I hear it is a casting distance I am use to with a fly rod, 30 to 40 feet seems good. Try casting out 100 feet of floating fly line and hook a fish when you see you fly go under, by the time you get the 100 feet of line up to hook the fish it has already spit out the fly and is long gone, that's IF you can cast 100 feet! LOL! John

1ReelFanatik

Quote from: Swimbait on April 02, 2022, 11:02:05 PM
Thanks, roll casts are second nature to me as I mastered them early on in my fly fishing learning curve 40 plus years ago. The fly casting isn't all that hard just start out with 8 foot of line out and toss it up into the air and in back of you, once you get you timing down it's second nature to add more line to get more distance. Remember to keep a tight closed loop and your rod at 12 and 9, no further back or forward and you'll do fine. I like to aim or point at the horizon when I finally cast out. Do what works for you! Tight loops and tight lines! John

Thanks John.  The great thing about starting now instead of 40 years ago is the number of good videos on casting.  I like Mad River Outfitters, Orvis and Lefty Kreh videos I've watched.  A guy could be an expert before ever touching a rod....not.   ~roflmao