River Smallies

Started by D.W. Verts, September 20, 2023, 01:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.W. Verts

I know it's not hawgs. I know it's not a tournament win. What it IS is a day on the Niangua River in south-central MO, floating with my wife yesterday. A very little fishin' resulted in a bunch of little smalljaws, with a few better ones thrown into the mix. I LOVE my smallmouth bassin'. It's been too many years.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Smallie_Stalker

WTG Dale! I'll take a day like that anytime.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Mike Cork

I miss the creek fishing in Missouri. We used to scene for crawdads and then go back and fish with them. What a blast.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Donald Garner

Dale tks for sharing the trip and pictures with us.  Looks like you had a very relaxing successful outing  ;)
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

D.W. Verts

It was relaxing, except that it took almost TEN HOURS to float eight miles. Part of it was the piddlin'- it's what we do. But this is an upper segment of river, and the water is down some. We got out and drug kayaks maybe 30 times during the day, sometimes multiple times back-to-back. It was tough, but my wife was a trooper.

I twinged my back first thing and fought that all day (still fighting it actually) and then we got caught on the river after dark. I took a header taking the boats out, I mean SPLASH! face-first into the water when I put my knee in a big rock (ouch!).

So, all in all, a pretty normal day. And I caught me some SMALLJAWS.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Wizard

I loved to fish small streams. Either wade fishing or from a square stern canoe with 30 lb. hand steered troller hanging off the stern. Mineral Fork, Big River, Meramec River, Saint Maries, Bourbon River, on and on. It's how I grew up and never stopped. A shore lunch of big Goggleye, crappie or bluegill was good eating. Like Mr. Cork, seining for craws and minnows always saved the day. If the fish weren't biting, we could cook the craws in a cleaned bean can. When young, my friends and I were poor in funds but rich in making memories.

Wizard