Using light line when chasing 10# bass

Started by Basstagger, September 01, 2021, 02:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basstagger

Does anyone fishing in the South where you can occasionally catch a 10+ bass, use 10# test line on their rods. I know I lose fish at times, but I think part of the sport is to try and catch a fish that weighs more than the test line- 8 pound fish on 8 pound line is impressive.

Pat Dilling

I'm not in the South, but I do routinely fish with 10# test at Clear Lake in California.  Sometimes finesse is the best way to get a bite, and 8-12 pound fish are caught there fairly regularly.  My biggest on 10# lately is a bit over 7.
I knew I shoulda re-tied!!

topdsm0138

Quote from: Basstagger on September 01, 2021, 02:59:30 PM
Does anyone fishing in the South where you can occasionally catch a 10+ bass, use 10# test line on their rods. I know I lose fish at times, but I think part of the sport is to try and catch a fish that weighs more than the test line- 8 pound fish on 8 pound line is impressive.
I live down in S FL and don't really use anything heavier than 10lb test (ALL monofilament). I do have 1 MH with 15lb braid though, but it rarely gets used. Everything else is M action because that's part of the fun for me.
"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont

RangerAndBass

Where I fish in Florida the grass and cover is so thick and the water is stained enough there is no reason to fish that light if you want to land the fish.
Finesse presentations or clear water, for sure.
The other issue would be if you break off often you aren't doing the fish any favors, leaving hooks in them.  Though I'm sure that's not what you're implying.
I've caught 6lb smallmouth on Lake Ontario on 6lb braid and 6lb floro leader in 30ft of water. You have to take your time fighting them to the boat. That is lots of fun.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic!

loomisguy

The diameter line I use has nothing to do with the size fish I might catch. It's about what type lure what size, what presentation and the cover you are fishing.

FlatsNBay

Loomis hit the nail on the head.

I fish light line with finesse pretty regular when pond hopping in Florida. My biggest on light line was a 9 pounder on 8 lb. test. Surprisingly, I don't see many people using light line and finesse techniques in Florida. It can be highly effective!

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

bassgal

I love to finesse fish and rarely use over 6lb mono line.  I've caught a 10 and a 8 large mouth bass on that size line but I'd not recommend it unless your reel drag is set correctly and you are a seasoned fisherman.  Real fun I don't have many break off with fish, one pond I fish has horrible trash weeds and you need 10lb to be able and not get hung on that stuff.

Capt. BassinLou

I have been following this thread, and after reminiscing on most of my bigger bass catches. A good number were caught using spinning gear and light line. Allowing the gear to work with you, and not overpower the situation when playing the bass is key.

pantera61

I go back and forth between 7# flouro, 10# flouro and will be trying 8# flouro.  I think the 10 is just a bit too heavy/stiff and the 7 doesn't give the control I want.  I've even tried 15-22# braid but I'm not too much of a fan of braid.
There aren't many 10lb fish in my local pond but there are enough 6s and 7s to make sure your gear is set.  It's also an impoundment with varying currents, so the fish are fighters.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on September 06, 2021, 06:50:16 AM
I have been following this thread, and after reminiscing on most of my bigger bass catches. A good number were caught using spinning gear and light line. Allowing the gear to work with you, and not overpower the situation when playing the bass is key.
Well said Lou.

My PB largemouth (8.27 lb.) Was caught on a medium power spinning rod with a finesse C-Rig made of 6 lb. line, a light wire hook, 3/16 oz weight and a 3 inch worm hand poured by a friend of mine.

I've had quite a few 4 and 5 pounders on very similar spinning/light line setups.

The gear and understanding how to use it to properly apply it in the situation is critical 

Sent from my One Plus 9 Pro 5G using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Esox obsessed

You guys call that light 6-8 is considered light with 8 on the heavier side and with a properly tied palomar knot and properly played you will be fine

SteveTX

Where and how I fish dictate my line and lure choice. 10lb is just a number I don't use much. Generally 12lb is about as low as I go Bass fishing and that is cranking. I don't play games trying to up the % on fish lost so all my average catches are more entertaining. I try to catch fish, bigger fish, and get them in the boat period.  There is way to much stuff in the water where and how I fish that would destroy a landing percentage using 10lb. line.

I just cant fathom your fish of a lifetime on the end of a decision to play with line that you know you did not have to use and losing it over your own poor choice. I work too hard to make sure everything I can control is correct and working properly just for that day I hook up on that girl. Ill be dammed if I will intentionally sabotage myself.

If the type of fishing dictates 10lb like trying to get a crankbait deeper or something like that I completely understand. Doing it for thrills nope not for me. I wont be  :'(  over a poor choice I made when my next pb and me hookup.  ;)

Basstagger

Thanks everyone for the advice and input. This community really helps out some of us fishermen and it's appreciated.

Thinking more about it,  I guess my concern is,  can a Largemouth Bass see 12# or 15# test  line  versus 10# test line in clear water

I know when I fished for trout of steelhead, they are very line shy, but bass are very different

big g

My biggest bass to date was over 11lbs and caught at Loxahatchee at 12:00 noon on a spinning reel and 10 lb mono.  It was sheer luck that I caught her.  I hooked her 2 feet from the bank and had she dived into the weeds she would have been gone.  She chose to swim out into deeper water in the canal and gave me a fighting chance.  That was over 25 years ago, and I remember every second of the fight.  I don't do that anymore.  I seldom use anything less then 15 pound floro, and up to 60 pound braid with jigs and frogs.  I have lost a bigger one on Okeechobee  that went airborne twice and broke 15 new mono.  I learned my lesson that day.  Weeds and big fish require heavier line, or you have to be lucky!
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Basstagger on January 09, 2022, 03:22:52 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice and input. This community really helps out some of us fishermen and it's appreciated.

Thinking more about it,  I guess my concern is,  can a Largemouth Bass see 12# or 15# test  line  versus 10# test line in clear water

I know when I fished for trout of steelhead, they are very line shy, but bass are very different

I personally don't believe you have anything to worry about.

This has been a much talked about subject here at UB and in the world of fishing in general. For whatever it's worth I don't believe that fish are that smart. They don't know what they are seeing is fishing line or that it's too big in diameter. They don't care if the line is clear or orange or whatever. If something big and Yellow scared them why would they eat a perch? Or why would they chase down a spinnerbait with a chartreuse skirt?

I fish mostly in clear glacial lakes where you can see bottom in 30+ feet of water. Due to my aging eyes over the years I now fish Hi-Viz braid, 20 Lb. - 65 lb. 99.99% of the time. The other 0.01% of the time I fish Hi-Viz mono for a particular cranking technique.

If bass were spooked by Hi-Viz line in ultra-clear water I would never catch anything. But in all the years since I went to all Hi-Viz line I have never noticed a decrease in the amount of bites I get. I have noticed a better landing ratio though because I can now see my line and I know when it moves off even if the bite is so subtle I don't feel it.

Just my $.02

topdsm0138

I get a lot of funny looks when people find out that the heaviest mono I have is 10lb test. My braid is only 20lb test (6lb dia). Why? For a few reasons actually. 1) I enjoy a good fight and challenge. I dont see a need to crank 3 times and the fish is at the boat. Or yank so hard the fish becomes a flying fish. If I was a tournament guy, then yeah faster retrieve times means more time fishing.

And 2) Honestly, I now get a lot higher percentage of bites then I did using the heavier lines. I believe I can chalk that one up to the thicker line hindering some baits action or presentation, as I like to use smaller/lighter baits as well.

Geographical location also has a lot to do with my choice as well. It's rare to get a bass over 10lbs around here, unless its a peacock bass. But the largemouth and spotted are normally within the 3-5lb avg range, with occasional 5-8 pounders locally.
"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: topdsm0138 on January 09, 2022, 04:06:30 PM

Honestly, I now get a lot higher percentage of bites then I did using the heavier lines. I believe I can chalk that one up to the thicker line hindering some baits action or presentation

That is the key right there!  ~c~

Oldfart9999

Light line finesse fishing can be fun, try bringing in a 12-15 lb pike on 6 lb mono, it's interesting to say the least. I question the wisdom of doing so though, you must be willing to fight the fish for an extended length of time which is not good for the fish. The fish can build up toxic levels of CO2 and lactic acid, both of which can be fatal long term, the fish may seem well when you release it but succumb later. You must be willing to leave the fish in your livewell for long periods of time with a good quality of whatever your favorite livewell chemical that helps the fish recover from the stress and be able to cool the water around 5 degrees or so to help calm the fish.
I use light line at times, it's needed at times but I do everything in my power to get the fish in and into the livewell for whatever time is needed to insure the health of the fish. I do not like letting a fish break off and swim away trailing feet of line connected to a hook with soft plastic hanging out it's anus bleeding and so skinny it won't make it. I've caught a few like that over the years and it's enough to turn your stomach.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

coldfront

Quote from: loomisguy on September 04, 2021, 05:35:15 AM
The diameter line I use has nothing to do with the size fish I might catch. It's about what type lure what size, what presentation and the cover you are fishing.
that's a part of it.  given the opportunity, I prefer smaller diameter lines (that's one key aspect of braid, for example).  working around rocks, mussels now, flouro for abrasion resistance has grown in importance for me.
still use mono for topwaters like Poppers, spooks.  or braid with a leader, but usually just straight trilene xl mono.  10 or 12 pound test.
the other aspect:  lighter lines have a lot more 'boing/stretch' and can increase challenge of good hook sets.  less of an issue with LMB than with SMB.  those bad boys have hard mouths, strong jaws... and if you can't 'move' the bait, it's tough to get a hook to set.  I've learned when chasing our smallies to use big rods, strong line (usually 12# fluoro)...  just to have a chance.
it's not about 'sport' or 'challenge'.  the challenge is getting the bite.  it's WORK to pull a big, angry fish out of heavy milfoil (frog bite).  light line just won't get the job done.

but I do use 6# flouro on my spinning rods for lighter presentations.  lighter wire hooks to help penetration.  go up to 8# in dingier water, but it negatively impacts the action of those finesse baits.

this did get me into trouble last spring.  hooked what MAY have been a DD fish in 2 feet of water on the spinning rod.  PUt as much pressure on her as I could but never could stop her, turn her.  She won.  I was 'under-gunt'.

TNDiver

Reminds me of Charlie Brewer's theory and his Slider Fishing technique.  He was a big proponent of light gear for his lures and it made sense, given his technique.  I don't remember what he said the biggest fish was that he caught, but I do remember it was double digits.  Read his book and I agree, I think it really does depend on the lure and water conditions in terms of line. 
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus