I think I am done with BFS

Started by Hobious, March 24, 2024, 10:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobious

I just put my rod/reel into a tube and sent it to my friend.  he has access to streams and rivers and such.

I just didnt love it.  the Curado BFS can't fling the tiny stuff anyways.  not the 1/16th stuff..barely the 1/8 stuff.  it could have been my Light Phenix rod, but I found myself ignoring that setup for more than a year.  I blew the spiderwebs and dust off and sent it. 

I think a super flexy, SHORT rod would be better..and a true BFS reel might have been a better choice. 

I am moving on..I like the heavier stuff better for me.  I might revisit some other time.

big g

Do what works for you!  We all have our personal preferences. I seldom use anything but a baitcaster with at least 15 pound floro.  I fish with guys that only use spinning rods with 8 pound braid.  Everyone has a choice.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Dark3

Quote from: Hobious on March 24, 2024, 10:09:07 AMI just put my rod/reel into a tube and sent it to my friend.  he has access to streams and rivers and such.

I just didnt love it.  the Curado BFS can't fling the tiny stuff anyways.  not the 1/16th stuff..barely the 1/8 stuff.  it could have been my Light Phenix rod, but I found myself ignoring that setup for more than a year.  I blew the spiderwebs and dust off and sent it. 

I think a super flexy, SHORT rod would be better..and a true BFS reel might have been a better choice. 

I am moving on..I like the heavier stuff better for me.  I might revisit some other time.
I went spinning for the first time this year. Added 3 two-power rod and spinning reels over the winter for this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capt. BassinLou

Bfs has a time and place. If the correct rod is not matched right  with the reel, casting lighter lures will be challenging.

J.W.

I haven't fished with either that rod or that reel, but I do like having my BFS setup in the boat. Unless I'm drop-shotting or strolling, I really don't touch a spinning rod anymore. That said, I'm not crazy about my reel either. It's ok (Kastking Zephyr), but I would love to get an Aldebaran BFS to replace it. The rod I built on a NFC blank (NFC SJ 703-1 X-ray). I would think you'd want a longer rod, not a shorter one, if you're trying to get more distance for the lighter lures. I actually cheated my handle back a little more than I usually place them to get more blank in front of the handle and have a little bit longer of a lever. So far, so good. That said, I think I'm mostly throwing stuff between 1/8 and 1/4 oz.