Trolling Motor / Engine Just Stopped Working...

Started by Hawk-60, September 08, 2017, 05:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk-60

Hi.  I was out fishing and both the trolling motor and 25hp Mercury engine just stopped completely.  No warning.  Got it home and have been checking fuses, and they all look good (even the big one for the positive pole of the rear battery).  The only thing I don't know how to check is the ShortStop 12/24V M01 40A breaker.  Any ideas?  I really don't want to take it in the shop, as I'm sure they will charge an arm and a leg.  Help????

Princeton_Man

A small voltmeter, multitester, or test light will tell you if it's the breaker. Put one lead on the battery negative post, then test both primary and secondary side of the breaker. You should have 12 volts on both sides.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Mike Cork

When you say they both quit at the same time? Were you on the trolling motor and it stopped and you went to the 25 and it wouldn't crank? Will it turn over?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

SteveTX

Not sure on the big motor but my trolling motor has two 50A breakers mounted on the wall close to my batteries. The way mine are turned on top is a small little reset button. I've popped it a couple of times in Lilly pad fields. Just let it cool off and push the reset button and off I went. Maybe yours has the reset button?

Lipripper

Not saying this is the problem but when you said all the fuses looked good did you check them with a tester. Having worked with electronics for over 30 years I have seen where some of them looked good but when I tested them on my meter they were bad.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Oldfart9999

Jim(Princeton Man) I think has it covered. A 10 $ multimeter and inexpensive test light can help youi check everything. As Lip said check the fuses with a multi meter.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.