Anyone make their own lures??

Started by Johntom2k, November 14, 2021, 12:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johntom2k

I do. Here is one of mine I make! I call it the "JFK". I was testing it and this big boy hit it near a stump coming out of the water. 3lbs and 3 oz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A bad day of fishing is a better day at work.

bigjim5589

Welcome to the Tackle Box!

And yes, I make a lot of different lures and tie flies.  ;D

Interesting idea you have there and apparently that bass thought so too!  ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

If you check out the many posts here, you'll see some of what I and others have posted. We have several folks here on UB that make lures of various types.   ;)

Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Johntom2k

Quote from: bigjim5589 on November 14, 2021, 12:42:59 AM
Welcome to the Tackle Box!

And yes, I make a lot of different lures and tie flies.  ;D

Interesting idea you have there and apparently that bass thought so too!  ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

If you check out the many posts here, you'll see some of what I and others have posted. We have several folks here on UB that make lures of various types.   ;)
Awesome thanks! I will check them out!!!! Thanks for the kind words!

zippyduck

Nice looking lure.  How is it around weeds?
I only pour a few knockoffs with reused plastics.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Johntom2k

Quote from: zippyduck on November 14, 2021, 02:13:16 AM
Nice looking lure.  How is it around weeds?
I only pour a few knockoffs with reused plastics.
Thanks. It done pretty good for what we have here in a local pond in Eastern Kentucky. I fished it about 2 hours and it got hung once and that was when the line was over a log and it came free. The blade head and the EWG hook is great weedless presentation.

Oldfart9999

I make my own jigs, I started the lead pouring thread. Because I only make for myself and only jigs I don't have much to post about. Bigjim does an excellent job of posting what he does which is quality work.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

D.W. Verts

Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Smallie_Stalker

I "assemble" my own buzzbaits from parts I buy in bulk online.

I tried my hand at air brushing cranks and jerkbaits but I have an inherited neurological condition that gives me pretty bad tremors occasionally so the fine detail stuff just didn't work out.

Your rig looks pretty interesting. 👍 I'll have to keep it in mind for next year!
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Johntom2k

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on November 15, 2021, 04:26:04 PM
I "assemble" my own buzzbaits from parts I buy in bulk online.

I tried my hand at air brushing cranks and jerkbaits but I have an inherited neurological condition that gives me pretty bad tremors occasionally so the fine detail stuff just didn't work out.

Your rig looks pretty interesting. I'll have to keep it in mind for next year!
Thank you so much for the kind words. I am lucky to paint a stick man much less a lure lol.  I stick with chatterbaits and such. Ya be sure to try it out next spring!

MarkAmerica

25 years ago, when I first tried out bass fishing, I couldn't afford much tackle, never mind a boat. I tried my hand at making some crankbaits. I'd start with a little block of balsa, carve and sand it into the shape I wanted, cut a slot for the bill, decide where I wanted my treble rings, and then I'd slice it carefully in half using a scrollsaw. I'd solder together a wire skeleton that included the treble eyes, and the eye for the bill, figure out where I wanted any rattle, very carefully sand the two mating faces flat after cutting the channel for the wire skeleton place them together, actually drill through and place a dowel(usually two), epoxy them together with whatever internals I'd provided, and also place my plexiglass bill. I'd generally use dowels on either side of the centerline to hold the bill in firmly. After it all set up a day or two, I'd sand the stubs of my dowels to match the surface of the body, tape up the bill, and make some thinned epoxy and brush it on until it had soaked in thoroughly. After that had hardened two days, I'd give it a second coat, and then let it harden around a week. Then I'd paint it. After painting, I'd do three more very thin coats of epoxy, and let it harden a week or so. Then I'd hang hooks on it, and go try it out. Caught a few smallies on one of them. I experimented with little lead weights in them, to adjust the buoyancy and the presentation angle. It was fun.

Of course, that was many years ago when I had little money :'(, and more patience. :-*

I'm running out of time now.  :o Money's somewhat better, ~shhh but patience is getting exhausted.  ~rant

Now it's www.InsertYourFavoriteTackleShopDotCom here. ~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao

Mark

BassmanRudy

Interesting set-up there!! I'll have to try that as I love love love chatterbaits!!
"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

D.W. Verts

I've done the balsa- lots of work to get a bait that might just helicopter thru the water when finished. They now make reasonably priced pre-fab blanks, and I might try some of them.

If I was a million/billionaire, I'd still build my own stuff. It's the ghost of the late and great Guido Hibdon that makes me do it. Plus I've done it for so long that it's all I know. Except for back in my sponsored days it's all I've EVER done.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

fishballer06

Interesting bait design. I'd love to see it in the water, working its magic.

I build my own jigs, spinnerbaits, and skirts.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament