Restoring Tungsten Weights

Started by FlatsNBay, April 05, 2022, 06:30:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlatsNBay

Do you have tungsten weights that have chipped paint? Instead of trying to repaint your weights (only to chip again), try this permanent solution!

1) Only perform outside in a well ventilated and safe area.
2)Hold weight with pliers while wearing a glove.
3)Reheat the weight with a blow torch until it is red hot (bright orange color).
4)Drop the weight into a bucket of ice water.
5)Let cool.

Results: The weights will transform into a permanent matted black color that will not chip or fade.

Oldfart9999

If the weights have a soft plastic liner to protect the line it'll be ruined if not, great idea.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

FlatsNBay

Great point Rodney. I didn't even think of that because I use weights without an insert. Thanks for catching that.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Smallie_Stalker

Great tip Flats!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro  using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

bigjim5589

I haven't done it with tungsten weights yet, but I powder coat any lead based jigs or worm weights that I pour/have, and that holds up pretty well. I can also "fix" them if they get chipped.

There is now a fairly new product on the market called Stardust, which is said to be a lot tougher than typical powder paints. It's also a heat applied material like powder coat paints, but not exactly the same process. I haven't used it yet, but from what I've read about it, it doesn't easily chip. It's also available in many colors. So if you're going to paint the weights, that might be a good product to try.

Most of the suppliers who cater to lure makers are carrying it.

I'm adding this information, just as another alternative to what FlatsNBay has posted here, which is a good tip. I generally only use two colors anyway, green pumpkin & black.
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Oldfart9999

There is a YT video out there by Aaron Martens about how to replace the plastic insert in tungsten weights, worth searching for as are most of his videos.
Rodney

coldfront

Quote from: FlatsNBay on April 05, 2022, 06:57:35 AM
Great point Rodney. I didn't even think of that because I use weights without an insert. Thanks for catching that.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
yep.  prefer insert free weights here too.  last year started experimenting with the silver/metal colored weights.  up until then was a firm BLACK weight guy.  pretty sure my strike ratios went up in certain situations with the silver weights.  in current.  thinking that 'flash' was helpful in catching attention and drawing strikes.

big g

Wow, I use the normal old fashion weight.  Don't use painted, or tungsten.  I have tried them and for years used the Florida screw in  weights.  But my catch rate is better with just the regular cheap standard bullet weights.  No need for all this, but if you think it helps, go for it!  Too much work for me, and I might burn down the garage! ~b~
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Smallie_Stalker

Since January 1, 2012 our lead laws prohibit lead weights 1oz and under so I have been forced to find alternatives.

Early on I used (and sometimes still do) steel or brass weights. At this point I prefer tungsten for the smaller size and increased sensitivity but to be honest it is just so damn expensive. And I don't own a torch to repair the ones I do have

Since 2020 I have been on staff with Titan Tungsten. They claim their weights are chip proof and so far I can agree. I spent a good portion of 2020 up in Vermont dragging them over rocky bottoms and boulders and they are undamaged. I also like that they have the weight printed right on the side so no more guessing if they get mixed up in a tackle tray.

Oldfart9999

Frankly I think it's time spent on something that doesn't matter that much. I've caught as many on silver as on painted.
Rodney

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on April 11, 2022, 06:46:55 AM
Frankly I think it's time spent on something that doesn't matter that much. I've caught as many on silver as on painted.
Rodney
I agree. How long did we fish with plain old lead weights and catch tons of fish?

Hobious

i like how tungsten is more compact, so i seem to snag way less (in rocky bottoms).  almost never.

and i am almost certain it taps against the lake bottom harder offering me more feedback.  but lead has its uses as well.  like super snaggy spots (in submerged trees), i use lead.