Drop shoting senko's

Started by virginiabass4492, October 04, 2023, 09:06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

virginiabass4492

not understanding the drop-shot senko because senko's don't float it just hangs there .
Keep those lines wet.

J.W.

Well, when I read that I thought it sounded dumb at first, too. But I suppose it's not any dumber than dead-sticking a Senko on the bottom (which will definitely catch fish), it's just suspended if you're drop-shotting on a tight or semi-slack line. If there's a little current, it might give it a little action. Also, not all "senkos" are Senkos. I don't know what brand you saw someone using, but a lot of the stickbaits out there have wildly different fall rates. Yamamotos are the fastest I've messed with, and YUM Dingers sink almost as slow as a floating worm. Maybe someone was using a more buoyant worm?

I haven't really seen this, you'll have to fill us in.

Smallie_Stalker

Most plastics used for drop shot don't float. The key is imparting a subtle action without overworking the bait. It's a delicate balancing act.

Keeping the weight in contact with the bottom you can drop the rod tip just a bit then lift back up, you can lightly shake the bait, tap the rod handle etc. Anything that imparts some action, just not too much. Then pause, let the bait droop then start again. Looks like injured or dying prey.

As to Senko type baits in particular, many anglers wacky rig them on a drop shot. Doing that lift and drop or subtle shake really gets the two ends moving. Can trigger bites from fish that might not otherwise commit.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

twocold

Don't try it on a lake with spots Doesn't work LOL  LOL

skidemn

Most of us that drop shot Senkos are using the Thin Senko, not the standard one. The thin ones are deadly, on the drop shot and Neko rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larry Francis

When I drop shot a Senco I do it Wacky. That seems to be the difference. If I am rigging my Drop Shot weedless then (texas rig style) Then I just use a Trick worm.
Molon Labe

Oldfart9999

My all time favorite bait is a 3 inch BPS STICKO in green pumpkin or watermelon. If I nose hook it I will dip the tail in chartreuse dip n dye, if wacky rigged I will dip both ends. I've taken lunker in a couple of tournaments that way. I'll drop, rather Bubba shot larger soft sticks at times and have done well  with that. To start for action I'll just hold the rod still, you can't hold a rod perfectly still unless you're dead, you have natural body rhythms caused by heart rate, breathing and normal muscle movements, it's  where I start. I've found that 80% or more of the time that's all you need. Both the drop and the Bubba shot work great in grass, even heavy grass as well as in open water. I use around docks, seawall, wood and other structures as well. As a fish catcher it's  very hard to beat.
Rodney

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

coldfront

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on October 04, 2023, 04:55:40 PMAs to Senko type baits in particular, many anglers wacky rig them on a drop shot. Doing that lift and drop or subtle shake really gets the two ends moving. Can trigger bites from fish that might not otherwise commit.

exactly!  works GREAT.  consider using the smaller senkos... 4 inch or even 3 inch...

could do this also with zman TRDs...  they float.  but those senkos can flat out clean fish off a spot...

chrisD46

Drop Shot a Wacky 4" Senko - great technique !!

Dink Dawg

Hobious

Drop Shot Wacky.  I agree.

they sink.  the lift comes from you picking up the line.  I think the drop shot would be must less effective if the bait floated.