New to these waters

Started by Mattyice572, April 12, 2023, 05:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattyice572

Hey guys, my name is matt and i just moved to gainesville florida from new jersey. I was tired of the snow and only being able to fish 8 months out of the year. I work for the united states post office, im 34 years old and i try to go fishing as much as i can. I mostly fish from a kayak but i also bank fish and surf cast. I am hoping to meet some friends here that want to go fishing and can show me how to not get eaten by an alligator. Today was my first time on the waters in florida and i saw 2 sizable alligators and it was pretty nerve racking. I managed to land a good size large mouth bass and it was bigger than any bass i had ever caught in new jersey so im very excited to see what florida fishing has to offer. Please feel free to message me if youre interested in giving a helping hand and advice to a new floridian. My instagram account is, mattymofukinice if youd prefer to use that for messaging.
Instagram;
Mattymokfukinice
      If a flower can grow out of the dirt, you can do anything.

Capt. BassinLou

Matt welcome to UB! You want to learn all about fishing FL waters, come on over to the FL Forums. We got you covered, with threads that will keeping you reading for days!!

As far as gators, you don't mess with them they won't mess with you. And what ever you do NEVER EVER feed one!

Look there ---> UB FL Forums

big g

Welcome to UB.  As far as gators, in 40 years of fishing the everglades in the boat I have only been hit twice, once during breeding season, and once by a female guarding a nest.  The male slapped the side of the boat with his tail, and the female hit the trolling motor with her nose.  I would take a few minutes when putting the boat in and out of the water to check your surroundings.  Like Lou said, the ones feed by stupid people will be the troublemakers.  They can hide in plain sight.  If gators are in the area once you hook a fish don't play with them too much, the commotion on the surface will draw their attention.  Get them in quick.  99%of the time you will have no problems. 
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

apenland01

Mattyice572

Thanks for the info guys! Hopefully after a few more times on the water ill be more at ease.
Instagram;
Mattymokfukinice
      If a flower can grow out of the dirt, you can do anything.

FD

Welcome to UB.

I live on the Kissimmee Chain between Tampa and Orlando.  If you feel like wandering a little further south I would be happy to show you around.

I have around 150 videos on YouiTube teaching people how to fish Central Florida waters.  AEFishing is the handle.

And as Capt Lou said, the FL section is full of information.

Sent from the very edge of civilization...where I belong

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

Donald Garner

Matt,
Welcome to the UltimateBass Family we're glad you're here  ~c~
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

topdsm0138

Welcome to UB!

Sent from undisclosed location. -Tiller Mafia

"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont