Favorite chatterbait

Started by cojab, February 15, 2017, 06:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cojab

If the weather holds here, the lakes are going to be opening up very soon. With a new chatterbait rod in my collection, I want to give these a try this year.

So whats everyone's favorite chatterbaits? What colors do you choose, and how do you like to fish them? Any tips to pass on?
TTK has spoken.

zippyduck

Nu-tech aren't bad but have to be fished slow. Z-Mans is still the best. Colors are white, black and blue, and Green pumpkin. Should cover everything. Some guys use a bluegill color, but Green pumpkin seems to work just fine with a more colorful trailer.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Bud Kennedy

I do believe my favorite is the Nutech crazy jig.  I like to use them with a trailer and more often then not I will use a reaction innovations skinny dipper as the trailer or a similar shaped bait by damiki soft bait with the split tail.  I believe it is called armor shad.

The chatter bait likes to ride up in the water column if fished too quickly so I pay attention to the speed to ensure maximum time in the strike zone within the water column.  I will also do a start and stop retrieve just to let the notch settle into structure when ever possible.  Other times a standard steady retrieve much like a spinnerbait works as well but I really like to drop the bait into nasty things along its route.  The Nutech also make a pretty nice clicking sound of the blade hitting the jig head.

Favorite color depends upon water conditions but more often than not I will use a Chart/White Combination or a Black/Blue or Brown/Blue

tooboocoo

I really like D&M's Pirhanna II.  My best color has been "Too "woops"y"....I know, i know.  Also like "Night Stalker" with a black/chart trailer.  3/8 is best for me with a pretty steady slow retreive.

bigjim5589

I still have several of the Karu Vibrashocks & really like them best so far.

Blue Shimmer, Shad & Chartreuse & White are all good ones for me.  :)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

caddyjoe77

Have some of the new SK tour blades. I've fished them just to try them out but the water is 35 so fish are not too active. Bought the white, white chart, and red which I think is going to be killer in dirty water this spring.

Other than that I have some nutech that I've caught keepers on tipping through grass.
BeerMe

steve76

Siebert outdoors Fogy bladed jig. I use only the 1/2oz and it stays down better than any of the others I have. If I am fishing around thicker cover I will use a NuTech crazy blitz. It rides up in the water column pretty fast so you have to fish it a lot slower.

SFL BassHunter

I've only used ZMan and I've only caught toothy critters. :-/

Mudfish, Chain Pickeral, and Gar. I'd like to catch a bass on one. lol, don't know what I am doing wrong. There ain't much to them.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Lipripper

Quote from: bigjim5589 on February 15, 2017, 09:08:09 PM
I still have several of the Karu Vibrashocks & really like them best so far.

Blue Simmer, Shad & Chartreuse & White are all good ones for me.  :)
So do I

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Lee Smith

Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

scottemory72

I'm a Zman guy too; I love the originals.

cojab

Thanks for the info guys!
Right after I posted I remembered that Bo knows!
I try to support the sponsors when I can  so I'll order some up. Might try a Z Man or two also just to cover the bases.
TTK has spoken.

Lipripper

Quote from: cojab on February 16, 2017, 10:52:27 AM
Thanks for the info guys!
Right after I posted I remembered that Bo knows!
I try to support the sponsors when I can  so I'll order some up. Might try a Z Man or two also just to cover the bases.
Yelp make the bait happy. ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

fishingram24

Z Man 3/8 and 1/2 oz. Green pumpkin with Zoom root beer/green Fat Albert grub 80% of the time, white or black/blue the rest of the time.
Retired and loving every minute of it!

Bassun67

I tried Z man chatterbait (original, custom, PRO), NuTech, Picasso. I love zman original 3/8 best because I can feel the strongest vibration among them.   

cport

What's the best trailer for a white chatterbait? I'm picking up a few z man's this week, pumpkin, black & blue, abs white. The two colored ones are pretty obvious, but what about the white?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

Bud Kennedy

You might want to consider a skinny dipper or little dipper by reaction innovation  in white

FATFLATTIE

I much prefer a big inline spinner over a chatterbait. Comes through cover much better, puts off a ton of thump/flash, and it's something a little different when everybody is throwing a chatterbait.
Life's short, fish hard.

cport

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on February 27, 2017, 04:59:53 PM
You might want to consider a skinny dipper or little dipper by reaction innovation  in white
Thanks Bud I'll check that out. Heading to BPS Wednesday

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: FATFLATTIE on February 27, 2017, 05:21:32 PM
I much prefer a big inline spinner over a chatterbait. Comes through cover much better, puts off a ton of thump/flash, and it's something a little different when everybody is throwing a chatterbait.

Thanks for posting this FF. Since I can't fish a chatterbait under 1 oz. here but can fish in-lines of any size (I know, it makes no sense) this tip will come in handy.  ~c~
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Donald Garner

KaRu Viberashock; Peanut Butter & Jelly, Bleeding Shad are my go to colors.  Click on the link below for some more information from the UB Pro Staff.

Chatterbait fishing

Fishing Vibrating Jig
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Bassun67

For pike, I use bright color such as white. For bass, pumpkin, black blue, etc.

從我的iPad使用Tapatalk 發送

FloridaFishinFool

Quote from: FATFLATTIE on February 27, 2017, 05:21:32 PM

Yep! I do the same thing. Since I have a ton of grass and weeds and lily pads here in Florida I chunk one of these way back up in the thickest of the thickest on a 7'3" heavy rod and slow 3.8:1 speed reel with some 50lb braid- or heavier- and hang on! Like you said, lots of flash and bang for the buck and its weedless! I buy the heaviest one they make for long casts. Works for bass and reds.

I do change out the stock rubber with other choices like the Zoom swimming super fluke works great or a Bitters naked swimmer works as well.

Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

cojab

Quote from: Donald Garner on February 27, 2017, 05:49:23 PM
KaRu Viberashock; Peanut Butter & Jelly, Bleeding Shad are my go to colors.  Click on the link below for some more information from the UB Pro Staff.

Chatterbait fishing

Fishing Vibrating Jig

Donald, Thanks for those links!
TTK has spoken.

Bassun67

FloridaFishinFool

Thanks you. I love to read your posts, ALL are very knowledgable and interesting.

I wonder if the vibration of inline spinner is the same as chatterbait? I am trying to DIY a inline spinner and wonder if I do not have the small piece of "U" type metal to attach to the blade before inserting to the metal line, will the blade spin when retrieving?

best wishes