Is there a "Best Gear Ratio" for Finesse Techniques?

Started by philm63, February 14, 2021, 09:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philm63

Seems to me the term "Finesse Techniques" implies a pretty broad category and gear ratios could be all over the place. What I'm looking for is a general feel for what folks are using for shaky-heads, lighter jigs, and senkos.

Just picked up my first Dobyns rod - a DX742C - and I'm shopping for a reel to pair with it and want to get the right gear ratio. Limited to bank fishing for now, if that makes a difference.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: philm63 on February 14, 2021, 09:45:19 AM
Seems to me the term "Finesse Techniques" implies a pretty broad category and gear ratios could be all over the place. What I'm looking for is a general feel for what folks are using for shaky-heads, lighter jigs, and senkos.

Just picked up my first Dobyns rod - a DX742C - and I'm shopping for a reel to pair with it and want to get the right gear ratio. Limited to bank fishing for now, if that makes a difference.
Your standard 6 or 7 speed will cover those techniques just fine. It boils down to your preference.

Pat Dilling

Since most finesse fishing is with soft plastics or jigs, fished relatively slowly, reel retrieve speed for the techniques is not that critical.  That said, my preference is for a high speed reel.  I use spinning reels for finesse fishing.  I prefer 2500 or 3000 size reels that allow line to come off the spool easily and provide for a lot of line to be retrieved with each turn of the handle.  This allows you get your bait back in quickly at the end of a retrieve to make the next cast.  That is especially beneficial when fishing deep water.
I knew I shoulda re-tied!!

philm63

Quote from: Bassinlou on February 14, 2021, 09:48:00 AM
Your standard 6 or 7 speed will cover those techniques just fine. It boils down to your preference.

Seeing as I already have a 7.3, and I really don't have enough experience to have a preference yet, I could get a 6.2 and, using both for a while, perhaps I'd figure out what works best for me.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: philm63 on February 14, 2021, 11:19:05 AM
Seeing as I already have a 7.3, and I really don't have enough experience to have a preference yet, I could get a 6.2 and, using both for a while, perhaps I'd figure out what works best for me.

How do you like the 7.3? If you like it and it works for you, you can just basically get another. If its a slower retrieve that your looking for, you just need to reel slower with the 7.3.  :-*

apenland01

I don't care about gear ratios for finesse fishing personally.  I put more value in weight.  When I finesse fish, I'm generally dragging or hopping something around fairly slowly and my arms or wrists are determining how fast the bait moves.  The reel is just bringing in slack or getting in at the end of the cast.

I guess an argument could be made for higher gear ratio to speed things up at the end, but I wouldn't trade that for weight....

earldogg

Bassinkorea

Like apenland01 mentioned, for finesse fishing I use the rod to move the bait and the reel only to take up the slack line. I am often fishing in very deep water, so the 7:1 reels are good for getting the bait back to the boat faster.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

coldfront

Quote from: philm63 on February 14, 2021, 11:19:05 AM

you can always slow down your retrieve.  when you need to speed it up, and you're dealing with lower gearing, over the course of a day, it can wear on a guy.

I always opt for 7 or 8:1 reels anymore.

Oldfart9999

On the plus side for lower gear ratios, catch a fish and the adrenaline starts flowing, the adrenaline starts flowing the reel handle starts moving faster, the reel handle starts moving faster and the speed of the bait becomes faster, the speed of the bait becomes faster, the fish you were catching at a slow speed may now want your bait.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

coldfront

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on February 15, 2021, 07:44:26 AM
On the plus side for lower gear ratios, catch a fish and the adrenaline starts flowing, the adrenaline starts flowing the reel handle starts moving faster, the reel handle starts moving faster and the speed of the bait becomes faster, the speed of the bait becomes faster, the fish you were catching at a slow speed may now want your bait.
Rodney

rodney:  you have a point.  on the other hand, that adrenaline rush is something that needs to be managed.  think about how often that might get in the way of completing a catch.  contributing to mistakes in playing, landing...

from the moment that fish is hooked if all you are thinking about is 'get in the boat NOW!!!'  or acting like a spaz (iaconelli), consider how much more you up the odds for a mistake. 

stupid little things like:
not having drag set properly
trying to swing a green fish over the side
trying to swing a fish over the side at all...

what other things have been missed?  did you check line for knicks, frays?  retie?  check hook sharpness?  what else are you missing?

success is a habit.