Converting Garcia 5501 C3 to higher gear ratio

Started by njpaulc, July 05, 2021, 12:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njpaulc

I have 2 5501 and 1 5500 C3's that I want to use for pitching and flipping.  I would like to convert them to the same gear ratio as the C4.  Is this possible? Any reccomendations and who can do it for me? 

D.W. Verts

Wow, I've never heard of that.

It's funny- back in the DAY we all wanted our flippin' reels to have a LOWER gear ration for more "power" to hall bass out of thick cover. My first ever real flippin' rig had a 5000D (direct drive, no drag) reel with a 3:1 gear ratio. Many a big bass succumbed to its power.

Good luck.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Mike Cork

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

njpaulc

Quote from: D.W. Verts on July 05, 2021, 01:21:34 PM
Wow, I've never heard of that.

It's funny- back in the DAY we all wanted our flippin' reels to have a LOWER gear ration for more "power" to hall bass out of thick cover. My first ever real flippin' rig had a 5000D (direct drive, no drag) reel with a 3:1 gear ratio. Many a big bass succumbed to its power.

Good luck.

Funny, after I made this post I was thinking about the direct drive Garcias and was curious about how prevalent their use was.  They used to sell them at Cabelas and the catalog would always mention that it was a "popular flipping reel".  I kind of agree with you but everybody talks about getting the lure in and out fast, it's something I'm considering.  I have a 5500 HDL, which was part of an FLW promotion, which is high speed and I'm going to keep working with that and see how I like it and how effective it is.  The C3 move about the same amount of line per crank as the low profile reels.

Dale