discovering a new technique..I love the process

Started by Hobious, September 29, 2023, 09:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobious

the year 2023, by far as been my FREE-RIG year.  I remember it vividly, the beginning.  I tried it and I thought it sucked.  I got no bites, and went back to a T-rig and got fish.  the next trip, I tried again.  mainly because I felt I spent way too much $ on the darn weights.  I got a bite!!  I kept experimenting with movements and retrieves and it seems like it all came together.  I tried different soft plastics...and before I knew it I was crushing the fishing spirit in my friends.  I wiped them out in numbers.  hahha..  I showed one friend the gear, and handed him some, but he is still in "phase-1".  he thinks it sucks. hahah.

I have it down.  I have the rod/reel combo I think it works best on, I have the line sussed out, I have my favorite weight, etc. 

total bummer I snapped that rod in half my last trip out, thanks to getting caught up in the jet wash of a big wake boat while I was snagged.  (I'll sell the other kidney for a replacement if I have to)

I wish I had an age of discovery for some reaction baits.  maybe 2024.  :D

Mike Cork

I've enjoyed learning new techniques in my fishing adventures. As you pointed out, some are not so quick to produce bites much less equal fish in the boat.

I know the FREE-RIG has been around a long time in Japan. Gary Dobyns was telling me about it and how they used it. I most certainly didn't think it had applications in our flat bottom swamp lakes. But it might be just the ticket too...

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

J.W.

Huh. Never tried this. You could probably open up a drop shot weight's eye and not have to go buy special weights.

D.W. Verts

You know, this "old guy" stuff makes thing weird. I don't even know what a "Free Rig" is. I don't know what MOST of these new things are. Problem is that I'm not sure I want to.

I do know that there's very little that's actually NEW. There's a lot of re-invention taking place.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Oldfart9999

Quote from: D.W. Verts on September 29, 2023, 01:53:41 PMYou know, this "old guy" stuff makes thing weird. I don't even know what a "Free Rig" is. I don't know what MOST of these new things are. Problem is that I'm not sure I want to.

I do know that there's very little that's actually NEW. There's a lot of re-invention taking place.

Dale
Amen brother. A lot of what's new is old, just a different name. Some youngster sits in his boat when suddenly he gets hit in the head and discovers something that's been around for several decades and puts his own name on it.
Rodney

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Smallie_Stalker

It cracks me up how many "new" techniques or riggings Japanese anglers get credit for that we have been doing here in the U.S. for decades+.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

virginiabass4492

Keep those lines wet.