Braid to Mono for Crankbaits, etc?

Started by J.W., March 09, 2023, 10:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.W.

Anyone here using braid with a mono leader for cranking or other treble hook lures?
What are your thoughts on it?

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: J.W. on March 09, 2023, 10:49:58 AM
Anyone here using braid with a mono leader for cranking or other treble hook lures?
Yep! It's the only way I fish them. It's the best of the both worlds IMHO.

J.W.

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on March 09, 2023, 11:16:48 AM

That's what I was hoping for. Been using straight mono when I feel like I need a little give in the line, but I like the way braid casts a lot better. How long of a leader do you feel like you need?

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: J.W. on March 09, 2023, 11:59:07 AM

That's what I was hoping for. Been using straight mono when I feel like I need a little give in the line, but I like the way braid casts a lot better. How long of a leader do you feel like you need?
I like using long leaders for 2 reasons.

1. I can swap out baits several times without effecting the leaders length too much.

2. I get the full benefit/advantage of mono.

My leader lengths are a minimum of 7ft long. I use the FG knot because easily goes through the spool guide without hanging up in the spool.

J.W.

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on March 09, 2023, 12:05:53 PM

1. I can swap out baits several times without effecting the leaders length too much.

My leader lengths are a minimum of 7ft long. I use the FG knot because easily goes through the spool guide without hanging up in the spool.

Thanks! I'm gonna try it out.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: J.W. on March 09, 2023, 12:13:40 PM
Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on March 09, 2023, 12:05:53 PM

Thanks! I'm gonna try it out.
Cool. Good luck.

FlatsNBay

JW, just keep in mind if you are using braid to leader for crankbaits, you will get less depth as braid and mono tend to float. Good luck with it. Let us know how you like it.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

D.W. Verts

Jeez. Why? I don't like things to be complicated. But I am getting old, too. Sigh.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

J.W.

Quote from: D.W. Verts on March 09, 2023, 04:03:05 PM
Jeez. Why? I don't like things to be complicated. But I am getting old, too. Sigh.

Dale

lo

There's sense in what you're saying. That's why I haven't bothered before. But I don't have a dedicated crankbait/jerkbait rod yet, so if I can tie on or cut off a mono leader, it gives me more flexibility in what I can throw. Not that cranking with straight braid is impossible. I've done it lots, but I do like the stretch mono has when using trebles. And I fish a lot of cover where braid is best when using other lures, so I don't want to go straight mono.

BassmanRudy

I would do it if I could ever get my leader knot small enough... FG or Albright they still make 1 heck of a racket going thru the guides! I run straight braid unless throwing deep divers then it's flouro.
"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: BassmanRudy on March 09, 2023, 11:58:35 PM
I would do it if I could ever get my leader knot small enough... FG or Albright they still make 1 heck of a racket going thru the guides! I run straight braid unless throwing deep divers then it's flouro.

I encounter this fishing heavier lines versus fishing with lighter lines. For example, when I fish with 40lb braid and use a 20lb mono leader, the knot connection can be felt and heard moving through the guides. However when fishing lighter connections, like 15lb- 30lb braid to a 10-15lb mono leader, the knot is much less pronounced.  All bets are off with micro guides though.

loomisguy

Personally I wouldn't do it.  I can see no advantage and you create another point of failure with the leader knot.
If you haven't tried it yet, the Sunline crankin' FC  has more stretch than sniper ,handles great and the bait will run as it was meant to.

Dark3

Not a fan off knots going through guides so rarely use a leader. A good Flouro or heavier mono might be good alternatives as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J.W.

Quote from: loomisguy on March 10, 2023, 06:35:31 AM
Personally I wouldn't do it.  I can see no advantage and you create another point of failure with the leader knot.
If you haven't tried it yet, the Sunline crankin' FC  has more stretch than sniper ,handles great and the bait will run as it was meant to.
That's an interesting line. I don't think I've seen it before, or at least I never noticed it. Does it like to snap like regular fluoro if it gets kinked at all, or does the stretch kind of help in that department?

Princeton_Man

I tend to throw cranks and jerks either on straight braid or straight Fluoro. I do sometimes use fluoro leaders on braid for smaller baits to help reduce line damage from the hooks plus it gets the bait down to it's working depth faster.. I do things a little different from most. I became a big fan of Norman Lures' Speed Clips many years ago and use them for all my hard baits. The first thing I do when I buy a new hard bait is remove the split ring. I can switch baits and be back in the water faster than most anyone can tie on a new bait. The Speed Clips weight is just slightly lighter than the split ring of larger crankbaits and about the same as split rings that come on smaller baits. The Speed Clips don't seem to affect the action of the baits and if I do use a leader, swapping baits doesn't alter it's length. 
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

loomisguy

Quote from: J.W. on March 10, 2023, 06:52:07 AM
Quote from: loomisguy on March 10, 2023, 06:35:31 AM
That's an interesting line. I don't think I've seen it before, or at least I never noticed it. Does it like to snap like regular fluoro if it gets kinked at all, or does the stretch kind of help in that department?

I've never had any issues with the Crankin' FC at all. No flouro likes to be kinked so I couldn't say about that, But in terms of performance it's great.
I've been using the 10lb. on my wiggle wart and RK Crawler rods.

BassmanRudy

Yeah I've been using these clips for 20 years or so. Makes it easy to change baits and especially as a coangler saves so much time by not having to retie or bring multiple rods.
"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

Princeton_Man

Quote from: BassmanRudy on March 10, 2023, 08:41:23 AM
Yeah I've been using these clips for 20 years or so. Makes it easy to change baits and especially as a coangler saves so much time by not having to retie or bring multiple rods.
Those aren't quite the same as the Norman Lures Speed Clips, Rudy. Norman's Speed Clips are more like a split ring with a handle. Not nearly as big as those.

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Smallie_Stalker

QuoteI do things a little different from most. I became a big fan of Norman Lures' Speed Clips many years ago and use them for all my hard baits. The first thing I do when I buy a new hard bait is remove the split ring. I can switch baits and be back in the water faster than most anyone can tie on a new bait. The Speed Clips weight is just slightly lighter than the split ring of larger crankbaits and about the same as split rings that come on smaller baits. The Speed Clips don't seem to affect the action of the baits and if I do use a leader, swapping baits doesn't alter it's length. 

^^^ X2.

The only exception is that occasionally I will tie directly to the line tie eye - no Speed Clip or split ring.

It's a good compromise when a wider wobble is a little too much action and a tighter wiggle is a little too little. It also helps sometimes  by not allowing the bait to move so freely around a ring if you are noticing a lot of your fish are not hooked well.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Dink Dawg

The only treble hook lures that see braid to leader are top water baits.  Braid floats and with no stretch, aides in walking a bait and hoo sets on long distance casts. The leader is mono and about 20 inches to prevent the braid from tangling with the trebles if fish nose bumps the lure but is not hooked up, a common issue with smallmouth.

Squarebills get mono.  I want some stretch because casts are shorter and I run larger test lines.

All other crankbaits are run on flourocarbon.  I look for lower stretch and want maximum depth from the bait.  It's nice to have choices.