Frog rod?

Started by Matt_3479, May 22, 2018, 09:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt_3479

Looking for a frog rod? Looking for something mid to higher end. Like to buy once and buy right. Not to picky on brands. Thinking 7'2-7'4" heavy fast or extra fast. Wondering what your guys thoughts are on what to get.

D.W. Verts

Somebody is gonna say a Dobyns 735. Just watch...
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

zippyduck

Quote from: D.W. Verts on May 22, 2018, 09:28:10 PM

Dobyns 735.  lo
Honestly one of the best. I've been told that the 745 is better but it is a high end.

What price range?
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

SteveTX

I like the Dobyns 735 Savvy I have. It is a great frog and or toad rod. Plenty of power to bury the heaviest of hooks and still excellent for casting the hollow belly frogs. This rod is not a pool cue stiff rod but has tons of back in it. I am absolutely sure there is something in the line of Dobyns that will fit your price range.

To me the 4 power is not enough if your in any kind of southern states slop or pads.

Dang I said Dobyns 735. ~b~

LgMouthGambler

Daiwa Tatula 7'2 heavy, Powell Endurance 735, Hammer Rods 7'3 Heavy, Cashion 7'3 Heavy, St Croix Mojo Bass 7'4 Heavy. I would also recommend the Savvy 735 if you can find them, as they are no longer made.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

zippyduck

As a couple have said the savvy was great. The Sierra replaced the Savvy . Same rod just better components.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

SFL BassHunter

The Tatula Frog Rod is a good choice. I have one it's 7'4 and can be used for other techiniques since it can handle lures up to 2 oz. and has plenty of backbone.
he rod is very light just a tad tip heavy so the right reel helps. Something over 7oz should balance it out pretty good.

Other than that you can look at the Dobyns like some of these guys mentioned. A Fury or Sierra 735. If you want a lighter option a champion 735.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

SteveTX

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on May 23, 2018, 04:23:59 AM
Daiwa Tatula 7'2 heavy, Powell Endurance 735, Hammer Rods 7'3 Heavy, Cashion 7'3 Heavy, St Croix Mojo Bass 7'4 Heavy. I would also recommend the Savvy 735 if you can find them, as they are no longer made.

<")))>{
No longer made but still available.  ;)
New!! Rep Sample Savvy SSM735C
or non micro version
Refurbished SS 735C

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: zippyduck on May 23, 2018, 04:58:01 AM
As a couple have said the savvy was great. The Sierra replaced the Savvy . Same rod just better components.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Do they make a Sierra 735?

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: SteveTX on May 23, 2018, 09:06:47 AM
No longer made but still available.  ;)
New!! Rep Sample Savvy SSM735C
or non micro version
Refurbished SS 735C
Well, there ya go!

<")))>{

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Matt_3479 on May 22, 2018, 09:18:57 PM
Looking for a frog rod? Looking for something mid to higher end. Like to buy once and buy right. Not to picky on brands. Thinking 7'2-7'4" heavy fast or extra fast. Wondering what your guys thoughts are on what to get.

Dobyns Champion 736. No fish will be ever to mess with you with this rod.

coldfront

Quote from: SteveTX on May 22, 2018, 11:22:37 PM
I like the Dobyns 735 Savvy I have. It is a great frog and or toad rod. Plenty of power to bury the heaviest of hooks and still excellent for casting the hollow belly frogs. This rod is not a pool cue stiff rod but has tons of back in it. I am absolutely sure there is something in the line of Dobyns that will fit your price range.

To me the 4 power is not enough if your in any kind of southern states slop or pads.

Dang I said Dobyns 735. ~b~

yep,  you did get there. 

Eventually    lo

Matt_3479

The daiwa tatula rod really peaks my interest! I'd love to try out more of the daiwa series rods as I'm really trying to find a zillion frog rod. I'd love another loomis but was told there frog series's wasn't there strong suit. And have been loving my kistler as well so debating something like that. Last one is the 13 fishing envy 7'3" heavy as my envy 7'6" is a hell of a rod!!!

fishandkamp

I love my Dobyns DC 705C for frogging. I picked the shorter rod only because I have a length restriction in my boat's rod box. Gary said the DC 735C is the best way to go.

Another good rod to check out is an Irod Genesis II IRG754C. It is called the Fred's Magic Stick and Fred Roumbanis designed it to be a great frog rod. I knew a bunch of guys that purchased that rod for frogs and used it for that and much more.  They all belonged to the Bass College at the time. The owner of that board was friends with the owner of Irod and would occasionally make group rod purchases. 

Matt_3479

I've run around a little today lookin for some rods. Couldn't get my hands on a dobyns but did take a look at a Zodias 7'2 heavy and 7'5 heavy. Both felt super nice. Looked at the st.croix legend bass tournament 7'4 slip and frog rod which also felt awesome

cojab

Quote from: D.W. Verts on May 22, 2018, 09:28:10 PM

lo lo Your right and with good reason. Thats exactly what I use and I absolutely love that rod.    And.......it's not just for frogs! I throw so much on that rod it might be easier to say what I dont use it for.
TTK has spoken.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Matt_3479 on May 27, 2018, 04:07:48 PM
I've run around a little today lookin for some rods. Couldn't get my hands on a dobyns but did take a look at a Zodias 7'2 heavy and 7'5 heavy. Both felt super nice. Looked at the st.croix legend bass tournament 7'4 slip and frog rod which also felt awesome
The LTB is a good rod, frog rod, but the Champion 736, is a bit better. The CH balances a lot better, compared to the LTB. The LTB is more tip heavy.