Rat-L-Trap

Started by bowhunter63, February 23, 2023, 02:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowhunter63

On a medium heavy rod what line does everyone run for trap fishing. I fish rivers a lot  and been using 14 lb Mono
Chasin bass and huntin bucks,life is good

Pat Dilling

Depending on cover, I use 12-17 pound flourocarbon.  If fishing weeds, where the plan is to hit the weeds and rip the lure free, I have been experimenting with 30# braid.  I am also experimenting with braid when fishing cold water fishing the lipless crankbait almost like a jig, pulling it slowly along the bottom and lifting slightly just enough to get it to wiggle and rattle, then letting it fall again.  For the last technique I have been using the LuckyCraft LV500.
I knew I shoulda re-tied!!

FlatsNBay

Same as Pat, 12 to 17 lb. fluorocarbon depending on the cover. I go with 12 in open water and will bump up in heavier cover to 15 or 17.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Donald Garner

In open water I use 12 - 15lb Berkley Big Game Clear Mono on a Medium Action Rod.  Fishing heavy cover I switch over to 20lb Berkley Big Game Clear Mono on a MH Action Rod.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

coldfront

Quote from: bowhunter63 on February 23, 2023, 02:00:51 PM
On a medium heavy rod what line does everyone run for trap fishing. I fish rivers a lot  and been using 14 lb Mono
some great responses already.  I'd counter with a question or two of my own back to you:
1.  what are you concerned about with your current approach?
2.  what are you not able to do 'like you want'?

any issues of concern that you are trying to think through to solutions?

Pat Dilling

Quote from: coldfront on February 24, 2023, 09:19:49 AM
Quote from: bowhunter63 on February 23, 2023, 02:00:51 PM
some great responses already.  I'd counter with a question or two of my own back to you:
1.  what are you concerned about with your current approach?
2.  what are you not able to do 'like you want'?

any issues of concern that you are trying to think through to solutions?

#1.  I most often throw lipless crankbaits on a rod designed for crankbaits/treble hooks.  That is a softer rod that gives and makes it harder for fish to throw the hooks.  Those rods do not work well when trying to fish weeds, so I use a MH worm or jig rod to make it more possible to rip the lure off the weeds.  The down side is, the rod doesn't have the give when the fish pulls or shakes and some fish are lost.  So it is a trade off.  You have to play the fish more carefully.
I knew I shoulda re-tied!!

chrisD46

Yo-Zuri Hybrid #12 lb. This line is very strong for its line diameter and is a good all-around size for a variety of bass tactics .

D.W. Verts

A medium-heavy rod with a Trap. Really.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Larry Francis

I use it on my Crankbait rod as well which is 12 lb Big Game Mono Green. Also have used it under heavy current for smallies on the St Clair River and Detroit river which has substantial current without issue. Heavy vegetation near by for a fish to dive into may make me use Braid on my Frog Rod but mostly it is my Crankin Rod. Wood cover and Traps do not play well together.
Molon Labe

Smallie_Stalker

The theme I see emerging here is that it depends on the cover and I agree.

For me personally, the older I get the more I am trying to simplify things. I have one setup with mono for a certain cranking situation and everything else is braid.

Because I stick with braid my rod of choice for traps has become the Dobyns Sierra model. It's got a slightly softer tip to help keep fish pinned on trebles, but comes into the backbone quickly so that I can rip the bait out of the green stuff if it gets snagged.

Being strictly a bank angler now I am limited to how many rods I can carry. If my Sierra is doing duty with a different lure I will throw a trap on a cranking stick if I have one with me. But having one rod that can do many things really helps a lot.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

fishingram24

Normally use 12-15 lb. flouro  but sometimes 30 lb braid when around a lot of thick grass on a Dobyns Fury 663 which has a soft tip section to me at least.
Retired and loving every minute of it!

ike8120

12-15# Flurocarbon or a Coploymer
Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"