VA Fishing Reports

Started by RichmondVa, June 13, 2007, 12:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichmondVa

Anyone out there have any recent fishing reports for VA within the last week or so?

RichmondVa

Either there aren't any fishermen in VA or no one is catching anything...Come on guys I'm not asking you to tell me your secret holes or techniques, I'm just asking if you are catching any fish in the local lakes and rivers in VA and any general techniques.  Here is a report from my outing on the Pamunky River yesterday evening:

Went down to the Thoroughfare area.  Caught bass on isolated wood/stumps in 4-6 feet of water with a texas rigged Ol Monster.  Largest was about 3-3.5 lbs.  Also, if anyone is interested, white perch on 1/4oz spinnerbaits.

GG

I was gonna post this as my first post, but it doesn't look like it would do me much good judging by the lack of response to your post.  Maybe I'll give it a try and see what happens.  Catch the big one,  G    I've been hitting some ponds and lakes around here lately (Chesapeake, VA) and not exactly knocking them dead. I've caught tons of bass in the past and actually placed in some small local tournaments, so I'm not a rookie. Most of the lakes i fish get some pressure, but I've sneaked on to a few when the greenskeeper wasn't looking that get almost none, and still not much. I;m not getting skunked, but I expect a bit more. Fishing mostly senkos, spinnerbaits, a little topwater, and even the old standby 7.5" culprit. Anyone catching anything around here, and on what? Hope it gets better, G

RichmondVa

Good luck GG,  I've been trying to get these guys to participate for a while now without any success.  It's a hush mouth community in the fishing report forums which is ironic b/c it is a talk forum to help each other out...

Creel Limit Zero

Yeah, it is a little slow here in the Virginia section.  I don't fish there too much, but have in the past.  I know it helps a lot when there are other posts already started.  Look at a few other state sections, like Louisiana or Maryland.  Those boards are very active.  When I first got here a couple of years ago, the MD board was pretty slow.  Now it has taken off and grows more each month.  I think if the more posts you guys put here, the more you will get back.  Anyway, good luck, hope you get some response...

eatonds

started fishing deep in the last few weeks fishing humps and fishing deep brush in claytor lake and smith mountain all fish came from 20 to 30 feet of water caught five fish limit all 5 times have gone 3 on claytor 2 on smith fish it very very very slow. (jig)and use a heavy one1/2 to 3/4. only had one topwater bite in two weeks a short fish.hope it helps.water temp from 50 to 57 degrees

MCT

Hey Guys,

Fished Sandy River Reservior last week.  Had 4 bass in 6 hours, thing were slow.  Most people crappis fishin.  Fished Briery Creek, Monday, about a bass an hour.  My son and I are headed to Kerr in the morning, he wants to crappie fish, maybe I can get in a few bass.

Question, have you tried swimbaits, and which one's ?

Mike

bassnva

6 hours on the James and 14 keepers...none over 3 pounds...all caught on spinnerbaits and plastics.

RichmondVa

BassnVa,

In the Pits, creeks, or Main River?

VA Bass

Not too much bass fishing been after the blue cats on the James and a little duck hunting
Brian

bassdaddyo

Haven't been out much lately but I hear the crappie are hitting at Chickahominy and the lower Appomatox has been good for specks by the small boat harbor and bridges. Haven't seen any good bucketmouths b/c of the recent weather trends. Maybe that'll change with this weeks' forecast. I intend to get out sometime today or tommorrow and post results.
shore fishin's better than no fishin.

Jason

Hey everyone. I lived in Suffolk for 5 years and i tell ya what, the fishing in Virginia is 10 times better than it is here in louisiana in my opinion. I live in north louisiana now and the majority of the lakes are so choked with grass that i get real frustrated. i like to fish grass, just not miles and miles of it. I would take fishing kerr, gaston, smith mountain, or any of the rivers in virginia over any lake around where i live in louisiana. you guys should get this website out to the VA BASS Federation up there.