Question on 12/24 volt Trolling Motor

Started by Scott Morgan, June 12, 2005, 08:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Morgan

I built my boat and I bought an old (1985) Ranger bass boat that a guy let rot. I put the 90 hp Evinrude on the rear after getting it running pretty good. I also salvaged the  trolling motor off of it. It is a motor guide and can be run 12 or 24 volt. It has a switch on it to select which one you are using. It is a 40 lb thrust trolling motor. I am running it off of 1 battery (12 volt) Will running it 24 volt make it stronger or just make it last longer? It is pretty weak. It might be just wore out. I am thinking it needs a new prop for it also.

So, my question is will it make it stronger on 24 volt? If so, can someone tell me how the wiring on a 24 volt system is arranged?

Thanks,
Scott
2005 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
2003 Scott Made Boat :)

Mike Cork

Using the full 24 volts will make is stronger.

First question is do you have only one set of batter hook up wires comming off of it? Since you have a switch to select which you would prefer I.E. 12 or 24 volts, there should be two seperate power wires (red) and two seperate ground wires (black). In which case you just need to hook each set up to a seperate battery.

And when it comes to props I highly recommend the Kipawa prop, you can find a link to their site in our business to business threads along with a quick ad discribing what it is and what it can do for you :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Scott Morgan

Thank you so much Mike.

I can't believe the wealth of knowledge here. I just sit here for hours at night reading, until my wife gets mad at me for ignoring her.  :roll2:

Mike Cork

:roll2: it is very easy to get caught up in all the threads and if the information wasn't enough the chat threads are quite entertaining as well :roll2:

We have a lot of great folks in the Ultimate Bass Community and like you said the wealth of knowledge is huge. We so many folks, someone will always have an answer or two :-*

Keep us posted on the trolling motor :-*

Cork's Reel Service

Scott Morgan

I sure will and I just left the  Kipawa website. Looks like I just found another father's day present for myself. I am good to me.  ;D ;D

Mike Cork

Cork's Reel Service

Scott Morgan

Well, I have been outside rewiring my boat to use the 24 volt system on the trolling motor. I had just been using one battery this whole time to crank and troll with. So now I am going to three. I had to decide where I wanted to place the other batteries. I also have decided that I have gained some weight since I originally built the boat two years ago. I don't fit inside all the compartments too well anymore.  :help: :help: :roll2:

Well, I got some heavy gauge wire ran, so now I just need to buy a few battery boxes and a couple of batteries. Then hopefully my new kipawa prop will be in next week, so I can go try it all out next weekend. ;D

Scott Morgan

Quote from: Mike on June 12, 2005, 09:50:08 PM

First question is do you have only one set of batter hook up wires comming off of it? Since you have a switch to select which you would prefer I.E. 12 or 24 volts, there should be two seperate power wires (red) and two seperate ground wires (black). In which case you just need to hook each set up to a seperate battery.

It actually has three wires. Two reds and one black. I guess I just tie the two blacks together and run the reds to the two different batteries?

Mike Cork

Cork's Reel Service

fish_cobra

Scott.
You will need to run a jumper wire from the negative post of one battery to the positive post of the other. This will give you the 24 volts. Run the wires this way....one red and the black go to one battery just like it was the only one you have, this will give you 12 volts.....see if it runs with the switch on 12 volts. The other red wire will go to the post of the other battery that doesn't have the jumper to it. It doesn't matter if it's positive or negative. Switch your switch to 24 volts and you should see quite a bit of difference. You will get a whole lot more power on 24 volt.
You should have  red, black, and white wires coming from your trolling motor, be sure that the red and black match the red and black on the plug. This is 12 volts. The white should connect to the other red wire (24 V) If you need to talk through this, my cell is (817) 504-2308 (Cing. AT&T) give me a call,  I just put mine on another boat and had to rewire it so I know this works.

Siggy by DundeeMike
RIP SOME LIPS!

Scott Morgan

Thanks alot. That makes sense now. I will try it out this evening and let you know.

fish_cobra

No problem, just wear safety glasses in case it expoldes... ~bu just kidding! LOL

Siggy by DundeeMike
RIP SOME LIPS!

Mike Cork

Thanks Fish, let us know how it comes out :-* My new trolling motor is hooked up the way you suggest Fish but my old one wasn't. I am curious how this goes :-*

Cork's Reel Service

Scott Morgan

Can I still charge the two batteries seperately with a 12 volt charger with the jumper still connected or will I have to disconnect the jumper between the two to charge them?

BassBUFF

As long as you unplug the trolling motor before hooking up the charger you shouldn't have a problem.