Dobyns Bought Out?

Started by J.W., May 01, 2024, 07:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.W.

Did Gary sell the company? Saw an Instagram post saying Dobyns is now part of GSM Outdoors.

Masterbasser45

Yes. It is being framed as a partnership.
"Don't be a dumb Bass"

Captsteve

Bummer, everything is always changing.

Sent from my SM-X808U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

loomisguy

GSM also bought mid America rod. The old Falcon facility down the road is Harrison Arkansas. They are making Virtus and some of the BPS house rods.
Personally, I think it's a smart move on Garys part. He's a great guy and it sounds like he will stay involved in the company.
I'm kind of surprised they haven't bought Kistler.

FlatsNBay

GSM is a rapidly growing company. They recently bought out Big Bite Baits and Phoenix Rods.

J.W.

Quote from: FlatsNBay on May 02, 2024, 04:45:45 AMGSM is a rapidly growing company. They recently bought out Big Bite Baits and Phoenix Rods.

I'd heard about Phenix and Yamamoto, but did not know that about Big Bite Baits. I think they also own Bill Lewis but I'm not sure.

I don't fault Gary at all if it was in his best interest. It's business, I reckon. I just hope GSM maintains the same quality and warranty policies that Gary maintained.

Princeton_Man

Gary said it himself, he just had his 65th birthday, the brevity of life has finally smacked him upside the head. He's worked extremely hard for a very long time to build Dobyns Rods to be what it is today. Birthdays pass quicker each year and no one is promised tomorrow. I'm certain he'd like to spend more time with family, hunting, fishing, visiting friends, or just plain not having to do anything some days.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

J.W.

Quote from: Princeton_Man on May 02, 2024, 11:20:38 AMGary said it himself, he just had his 65th birthday, the brevity of life has finally smacked him upside the head. He's worked extremely hard for a very long time to build Dobyns Rods to be what it is today. Birthdays pass quicker each year and no one is promised tomorrow. I'm certain he'd like to spend more time with family, hunting, fishing, visiting friends, or just plain not having to do anything some days.

Yeah, I think anyone can understand and appreciate that.

Masterbasser45

It does not feel right. Feels like an end of an era.
"Don't be a dumb Bass"

Minnow

Quote from: Masterbasser45 on May 02, 2024, 09:25:49 PMIt does not feel right. Feels like an end of an era.

This!
I don't see anything positive in this for the rod buyer like me.
I also understand buisness. As a small buisness owner the mega move just doesn't  hold any allure to me.

Masterbasser45

So will Hellabass have GSM on his live podcast yearly from here on out?
"Don't be a dumb Bass"

Hobious

that is any small business owners dream I imagine.  get bought out...

I would retire ASAP.

Masterbasser45

Quote from: Hobious on May 04, 2024, 10:49:44 AMthat is any small business owners dream I imagine.  get bought out...

I would retire ASAP.

I retire and leave with about thousand plus champ XP's.
"Don't be a dumb Bass"

CRosh324

I have had some horrible experiences with GSM Outdoors customer service with Stealth and Muddy game cameras.  Sure hope something has changed since the customer service experience with Dobyn's was a main reason for purchasing these rods.  Guess I won't be as loyal as I enjoyed supporting a small business owner.

twocold

Found this

GSM Outdoors Acquires Dobyns Rods
05/03/2024
Irving, TX – Dobyns Rods is now part of the GSM Outdoors Family. Created in 2009 by longtime angler Gary Dobyns, the brand has quickly become known for making rods that are built for performance. Offering a full lineup of rods for every type of freshwater angler, Dobyns Rods is now positioned to grow even more in the coming years.

"Our team is fired up about this one!" says Zach Henderson, Chief Sales Officer for GSM. "We have a tremendous amount of respect for Gary Dobyns, his family, and what they have built with the Dobyns brand over the years. The quality, series layout, price points, and actions are all superb. We are honored that they have trusted us to become stewards of the brand and carry on the legacy as we continue to expand our presence in the rod category and fishing industry."

"The difference with GSM is the leadership – it's the place to be," says owner of Dobyns Rods, Gary Dobyns. "The company is run by friends that, over the years, I've learned to fully trust with the growth and expansion of my brand. I am confident they will elevate it to new heights. I will now be a shareholder of GSM and will remain involved with the company's product development initiatives. GSM is making all the right moves, quickly becoming a force to be reckoned with in the fishing industry and they are just getting started!"

"As we continue to add brands to the GSM portfolio that bring value to our retail partners and anglers, the decision to partner with Gary Dobyns was one of the easier ones that we've made," says Edward Castro, CEO of GSM.

"Not only do we believe in what Gary has built in terms of quality and value, but it was also a no-brainer due to proximity as the Dobyns facility is located just down the road from GSM headquarters. We will continue to service customers from the great state of Texas while adhering to the quality and standards that Dobyns has become known for. With this milestone, we have acquired eleven fishing brands and are proud of the fishing platform that we have established as a one-stop-shop for heritage baits and high-quality rods."

For more information on Dobyns Rods, please visit their website HERE, or find them on Facebook and other social media avenues.

For any additional questions or inquiries, please email . Or, if you'd like to check out the entire family of GSM brands, please visit www.gsmoutdoors.com.

About GSM Outdoors:
Few American outdoor companies enjoy a mutually respected relationship with their customers that span over five generations. GSM Outdoors is among those few! For over 70 years, the GSM family of brands has been helping passionate hunters, shooters, knife enthusiasts and anglers succeed through innovation and the manufacture of high-quality, reliable products that continue to prove themselves in the field, on the range and on the water.

GSM Outdoors continues to leverage the latest technology and provide customers with the best products on the market. Tradition, heritage, and loyalty to outdoor enthusiasts of generations past and generations to come...that's the GSM Outdoors guarantee!

loomisguy

GSM also bought Phenix and Mid America rod. That is the facility in Harrison AR. that used to build the made in the USA Falcons. They now make Virtus and some of the BPS house brands.

BassingBen93

Not a fan at all but it was bound to happen.

D.W. Verts

Man, I love my Dobyns rods. But I started using them more because of the MAN and his support of this site than I did for the rod itself.

As a small business owner, I get it. I wish (and am waiting) some rich dude would buy ME out. Good luck Mr. Dobyns.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff